100% Lone Wolf Build Issues

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by travis01234, Sep 8, 2015.

1. travis01234

travis01234

About 3 weeks ago, I assembled a 100% Lone Wolf dist compact 40/357 size gun. I have encountered numerous issues and have not heard anything back from LWD. I will list 2 of the issues and what I have done so far to try to remedy the issue.

• Firing Pin Channel Liner/Marine Spring Cups
      • Very tight fit of channel liner into slide
        • Checked for burrs, debris, ect
        • Oriented with chamfered end toward muzzle end
      • Assembled striker with LWD spring cups
        • Could barely force assembly into channel
        • Marine cups had very sharp, square edges as well as large mold seams
        • lathe turned spring cups to fit after no response from LWD
          • Spring cup O.D. is now tight to spring O.D.
      • There is still a considerable amount of drag during operation
        • Slide will move with the pull of the trigger
        • With the trigger pulled, the barrel will not go into final locking position if the slide isn't racked HARD
    • Slide Stop (not the slide release/lock)
      • Have to force into up/locked position
        • Spring is not broken or binding
          • stop moves freely with no slide/barrel installed
        • With the assembled slide off the frame, and the slide stop out of the frame and in my hand, I cannot fit it between the barrel engagement lug and the recoil spring rod face
        • The slide stop has actually come loose during firing
          • I have had the slide come off with a loaded round in the chamber
    There are a few more issues, but any help with these would be greatly appreciated.

Also I have 2 barrels, both LWD. Have same issues with both, and a factory glock 357 barrel

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  2. travis01234

travis01234

3. weaselfire

weaselfire

I'm not sure I understand your response to your own post. Are you upset that you didn't receive an immediate, detailed response? Or frustrated that Lone Wolf hasn't responded. I'm sorry I just saw your post and wasn't monitoring the forums for someone with this problem.

The first thing that might help us diagnose your trouble is if you tell us the process you used in fitting the slide, as well as the other components. From your description it's also hard to tell your experience level so it's tough to assume you got all the basics right.

Did you pick up the phone and call Lone Wolf? If you just emailed, you may not get as rapid a response as you like.

I wish you luck in getting this fixed.

Jeff

4. travis01234

travis01234

Thanks for your response. I have no intention on bashing LW service or products. I assumed the detail of my post would infer my deeper understanding of the mechanics of the pistol. My question was asking more knowledgeable folks here to shed some light on a few possible solutions. I did contact LW again. They were kind and courteous, but could only assume I have multiple parts installed incorrectly. I will say, all the other glock pistols I have reassembled the same way have worked without issue.
    I am now taking LW up on the offer to have them look at it.

5. weaselfire

weaselfire

Having Lone Wolf review it is a great way to confirm proper assembly and, if needed, get parts corrected. My first assumption on builds of any kind is that things weren't put together properly, but with your experience it's less likely. I also find inexperienced builders tend to assume that parts are just dropped in place, so I asked about your process for fitting parts.

Unfortunately, sometimes parts made to spec don't fit other parts also made to spec. I understand a tight firing pin channel but a mis-fitting slide stop and slide sounds like something is off.

Jeff

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  6. travis01234

travis01234

Yes, most custom parts need custom fit. I've done numerous 1911 customizations and definitely learned some fitting techniques. The channel liner/spring cup issue has me bothered, but is working now. So, all is well in that department.

As for the slide lock situation, I figured out what I believe is the issue. Only a slight bit of pressure against the polymer seat for the recoil spring, pinches the slide lock, prohibiting it from moving freely. The slide lock spring has no where near enough force to overcome the friction put on the lock from the compressed recoil spring.

I polished the slide lock thinking it might help, but there is just too much flex in the thin wall that separates the recoil spring and the slide lock.

Maybe I'm missing something here. I can accept being wrong.

Either way, lone wolf is glad to give it a look.

7. travis01234

travis01234

Proof of concept...if I pull on the end of the recoil spring guide with pliers, taking the pressure off the seat, the slide lock pops up freely