10 ways to avoid being tracked down at home

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by RussP, Sep 8, 2019.

1. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

10 ways to avoid being tracked down at home

It’s not about being paranoid, it’s about being prepared
    If you’re like many officers, the idea of being stalked and harassed at home by someone you’ve arrested or someone who has a problem with law enforcement in general may be relatively low on your list of concerns. However, it can happen and it’s something you should actively take precautions against when possible.

During an interview with Calibre Press, an officer who was stalked and harassed at his home by members of a cult he was investigating shared some excellent tips for ways you can minimize your off-duty exposure to problems. Here are some basic, yet often ignored, tips for keeping yourself and your family less vulnerable to becoming the targets of someone who tracks you down at home.

1. Don’t put your name on your mailbox or a nameplate on your house...

2. Don’t fill out warranty cards...

3. Vary your routes to and from work. Don’t be predictable...

4. Remember situational awareness when getting in and out of your car and while driving. Look around...

5. When making purchases at stores that require you to give an address and phone number, give the station street address (without mentioning the department) and phone.

6. Put newspaper, magazine and subscriptions that are delivered to your home under a name other than your own...

7. Maintain good security in and around your home...

8. If you typically hang out to talk after your shift, considering going somewhere other than the department parking lot...

9. Watch what you throw out at home and at work. Seems obvious but do you really shred everything that has your name on it...

10. Try to fly low on the visual radar. Cut back on or completely avoid things outside your home or on your personal vehicles that could announce, “An officer lives here” or “This is an officer’s personal car.” ...Along those lines, if you have a take-home unit, consider parking it in your garage if you can, or behind your house. A marked unit parked right in front of your house is a pretty big indicator an officer lives there.

It’s not about being paranoid, it’s about being prepared.​
    There's more under each point.

Others?

TBO, fx77 and tuica like this.
  2. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

So, basically hide and cower?

Lt. Donn and Intolerant like this.

3. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

My name is unique enough that it's easily found with a basic internet search. I don't dwell on the bad folks coming to visit, but if they did, there's a few tips I'd pass on:

1. I have several large breed dogs. Like nine. A couple are fairly protective, but any of them provide a good alarm.

2. I have guns. More than what I take to work. All my kids know how to shoot and have their own guns. They also know the combination to the safe.

3. My wife is quite capable with a pistol herself. Thirteen years as a police officer gave her some training and experience in handling stressful situations.

4. I don't give two ****s about a badge, my job, or the life of anyone stupid enough to attempt to visit harmon me or my family when I'm home. I'm just a pissed off fat guy who is a better than average shot...with emphasis on pissed.

4. cityborncountrylivin

cityborncountrylivin

i interviewed a very old former gang leader on the west-side of Manhattan 35 years ago for a research paper while I was at Fordham. He told me that his group made it a regular practice to follow officers home and take pictures.

I called up my cousin who was an NYPD Lieutenant in that area and he wasn't surprised. He said it was part of the job. "We do the same thing to them, only better."

5. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Don't have anything in your name; Form a trust, and have it all- your house, your car, everything- in the trust name;

Don't be on Facebook;

Use a service like deleteme.com to have most traces of you removed from the 'Net.

Get a PO box and have all your mail sent there.

If your state has a provision to have a block put on your driver license info, fill out the form and get it done....

You cannot disappear completely, but you can make yourself much harder to find, and in the process you can become a much harder target.

6. DAKA

DAKA

There was a thread about this....just DUCKDUCKGO (I HATE GOOGLE) your phone number or address..."THEY" KNOW EVERYTHING...

gary_boom and Intolerant like this.
  7. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

I live in a small town with a take home car. Everyone knows where I live, unfortunately.

LilCop2002 and Intolerant like this.
  8. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Organized criminals still make it a practice to gather intel about the cops who hunt them; the Internet has made this practice even easier for them, and they have been joined in this quest by groups like ANTIFA, Black Lives Matter, and others who seek the destruction of our society.

9. PennsWoods

PennsWoods

What about Whitepages, county real estate records, newspapers that publish home sales, etc?

I try not to be reckless but if someone wants to find where I live they wont have a hard time, even if I were to follow the above steps.

I keep an eye out, keep my house reasonably secure, and remain ready to defend myself if I have to.

Probably the main thing I have going for me is the distance I live from where I work - if someone's gonna follow me home they'll get bored fast. And probably give themselves away.

Intolerant likes this.
  10. blueiron

blueiron

I know departments around me do not allow officers or employees to register their vehicles, register to vote, or to otherwise use the department's address for personal reasons. When I asked why once upon a time, it was ostensibly to prevent union members from voting in the city elections when they lived elsewhere and city leaders did not want us influencing the elections.

I still use a PO Box, but it is not close to my residence and not within the city I reside in.

It is a poor idea, but I would not register to vote, since voter registrations are often open public records.

With the 'Net, no one is really hidden from public view.

Intolerant and PennsWoods like this.
  11. blueiron

blueiron

Anyone with a Lexis-Nexis account or access to one can find almost anyone in the US or Canada.

bdcochran and sixgun2 like this.
  12. HALO51

HALO51

Interviewed a known gang leader in lock-up years ago....he said he looks for FOP license plate emblems. Working in the jail prior to road work is invaluable. Sitting down and talking to known criminals is interesting and very informative.

bdcochran and Intolerant like this.
  13. Intolerant

Intolerant

Anyone can be found anywhere anytime. You can`t run or hide.
    This world is round, and eventually you`ll come back around.

I got nothing to hide... come look around all you want.
    But if you come lookin for trouble, you might getcha some.

Just_plinking, tuica and PennsWoods like this.
  14. sixgun2

sixgun2 packin heat

All PD’s here will allow by policy from the ON.gov to be able to register any an all personal vehicles from your home address to be registered to the HD headquarters address of your dept.

15. WT

WT Millennium Member

Some of my views as a citizen …

Don't wear your uniform to work while driving a personal vehicle.

I always notice a local deputy on his small personal motorcycle, wearing a plain zip jacket, but showing his brown trousers with gold stripe and boots.

The town's rookie officer is charged with picking up donuts for the shift when he is on his way to work. Full uniform, no attempt to disguise. Same donut shop, same time of day.

16. Newcop761

Newcop761 CLM

Traffic in my area is awful almost all of the time. Fortunately Antifa has my home address, my wife's name, and a photo of our house. It makes it nice and easy to just meet at my house. It avoids all the silly surveillance / traffic games.

Oh and no action by the AUSA on the people that doxxed me. None. Nothing. Zilch.

bdcochran likes this.
  17. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

SMALL town. One full time Officer, two part time. (Often only one as they were strait out of Academy, applying for a "Real" job)
    One night the C-store broken into, cash machine almost taken. IIRC chain broke it off base, outside but they " apparently" lacked the strength to load it. (Or were scared off by something)

A tracking dog was brought in. "I don't know why". The dog did a direct line to the full time Officers house, around it. The Officer never walked that way...
    He was ticked they were around his house before, or during the burglary attempt. He parked his squad a mile away in the city shop. I disagreed that would help. EVERYONE knew where he lived, where he lived before... But he felt safer.
    His wife said I always scared her. (I was helping him with a bit of property work). She said I knocked on door, rang bell it startled her. Others she saw, noticed before driving up. The dogs he got didn't go crazy barking... I got in habit of tooting horn as I pulled up.

18. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

You have NINE dogs?

It must cost a fortune to feed all of them and pay for vet care!!

I totally agree with you on #4. :cheers:

19. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

I'd make it clear to the Antifa members that the day they bring it to your house, is the day they die. As the saying goes, everyone wants to be a gangsta, til it's time to do gangsta ****. Real easy to pop your mouth off at a protest when you know the police have their hands tied and the media is there to record things for posterity. Completely different animal going to a man's house and threatening his family in front of him. People like that are gonna get real surprised when police start going back to the way things used to be done.....at some point, this whole bunch of shenanigans will come to a head, and they'll either run back to Mommy's basement - or deal with people who are tired of being threatened.

Not gonna be a stellar day, to be sure - but, the judiciary and media and directly to blame for this situation.

20. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

What I found always worked for me was to make sure the Dirtbags I dealt with NEVER wanted to ever see me again.

Even when I ran into them off duty if they spoke to me they called me "officer."

knoxvegasdaddy, Ljunatic and fla2760 like this.