close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

10 mm and 45 Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by The Viking, Aug 2, 2012.

1. The Viking

The Viking

I recently acquired a Gen 4 21 SF 45 Caliber Glock. The pistol is a real *****cat to shoot. Little felt recoil ( less than my 1911s and S&W M&p 45) and an excellent trigger. Love it.
    I am thinking of acquiring a 10mm Glock. So how bad is the recoil on this monster?

2. Z71bill

Z71bill

I also have a GEN4 G21 -

I have been considering buying a conversion barrel that allows me to shoot 10MM out of the G21.

All you need is the conversion barrel & a 10MM G20 magazine.

Problem is - most places seem to be sold out of the barrel.

So for ~~ $150 for a barrel + $25 for a mag you would be GTG.

3. Rev.357

Rev.357

I have a friend with a G20 & it's not bad my G31-32 make it feel like a .45cal. The 10mm is a sweet round & awesome if you reload, out of all my glocks the G21 is the softest shooter!

4. et45

et45

recoil is not bad at all,it is less than a steel frame pistol due to the polymer frame being less rigid and absorbing the recoil

5. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Viking,

I have both G21 (Gen3 & 4) and G20SF. Recoil on the 10mm is very manageable, but not as soft as the .45ACP. The larger frame and slide definitely help out in that respect.

I hope to add the Gen4 10mm models later this year when they are more widely available.

6. humphreys19

humphreys19

The "large" frame Glocks have become my absolute favorites. I now own all four of the biggies-- G29SF, G30, G20SF, and G21, as well as conversion barrels to shoot 10mm in both of the .45's.
    To answer Viking's question, if you enjoy shooting the .45, you will love the 10mm. A little more recoil, a fair amount more noise, and a lot of fun. My 20 is probably my most accurate Glock.
    Reloading is almost a necessity with 10mm, however, as store selection is usually limited and expensive. On-line sources offer more selection, but still pretty pricey. By reloading, you shoot 10mm for about the same $$$ as .45.

Happy shooting,
    Tom

7. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

You should love a 20. I had one and sold it for an AR during the panic of 08. I was glad to get the AR but I wish I had another 20. What a sledgehammer. I really liked it. The recoil wasn't that bad on mine just straight back.

8. JW1178

JW1178

I had a G21 first, it was my big gun. Got my G20 and well, kind of lost interest in the G21 and sold it. Kind of regret it now. I would have to say a G20 is just a magnum version of the G21.

Everything is almost the same between the two guns, except the barrel, extractor, magazines. There is a slight difference in the slides. I can't remember what it was, and it might have to do with the fact the G21 was a lot older than the G20.

9. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

The step up, in recoil, from a 45, to a 10, is less, then the step up, from 9MM, to 40, or 45.
    From the first round of a G20 that you send down range, you will realize, there isn't much at all, to shooting the 10MM. After the first magazine, you will realize, just how accurate the 10 is, and by the time you finish your first range session, you will realize, all other calibers, matter not!:cool:

10. SmithietheFox

SmithietheFox M76Valmet

A Glock 20 isn't bad at all if you're used to shooting a G-21. The factory 10mm loads are pretty tame compared to the original 10mm load.

11. JW1178

JW1178

Then you shoot it into things and see the destruction and think "I wouldn't want to be hit by that!" Makes service calibers look like well... service calibers. Very underpowered and weak. The recoil is less than the .40's. Until you start getting into the upper powered loadings, which brings me to this...

So true.... the only think I really don't like about 10mm. Except target ammo, you can't just go to the store and buy some good defensive ammo. Well, you can, but it's just .40S&W in a longer case. Usually a bit hotter than that but not near the potential. But you pay more. So you have to buy ammo from companies like Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, or now Underwood. The ammo isn't that much more, but after the shipping and all, it's expensive. It's too damn tempting to shoot it anyways. So you might as well get reloading equipment. Something I am looking into when I get the money.

Of course one more option... .45Super and other variations of really hot .45 cal, but if you thought 10mm was expensive and hard to come by, even when reloading, .45 Super is really for the hard core enthusiasts.

12. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

I've never seen a box of 45 Super, for sale! That being said, it's been said many times, a 10MM shooter, should be a reloader. Once one reloads, the cost is almost identical in price to the 40, and 45. So by all means, if you don't reload, getting a G20 is the perfect place to start.

13. JW1178

JW1178

With that being said, I've never met a reloader that says the regret the investment, unless they don't shoot anymore.

14. Mochahooligan

Mochahooligan

I agree! Just get 20 you WILL not be disappointed!

15. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

You can make me an offer on my G20sf with fewer than 600 rounds through it, plus loads of accessories:
    9 - 15 round magazines, a LWD stock length 10mm barrel, 22lb ISMI recoil spring on LWD ss guide rod, LWD overtravel stop, Ghost 3.5 connector, 6lb trigger spring, reduced power safety plunger spring, extended slide release, new XS Big Dot night sights and 160 rounds of various types of underwood 10mm ammo.

16. elijah58

elijah58

I have the G20 Gen 3, And it is truely an awesome shooter. The felt recoil is really not bad at all. The extra weight in the slide and heavier recoil spring make it really nice. I am handloading for it and having very good luck with the hotter loads. I am working on getting some loaded with a 180 grain Hornady XTP hollow Point, 9.5 Grains of Hi-Score 800X. This load is said to be around 1500 fps and has the power of a 44 mag. I have to work up to it but I can't wait to try it. It would be really nice to have a Glock with the power of a 44 Mag and 15 shots.

17. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

I have both the G20sf and G21sf. They are both fantastic in all aspects. The G21sf is so very soft shooting, that is until you pop in the KKM barrel and start shooting .45 Super...it sort of takes on a whole new characteristic.

The recoil on the G20sf is in general highly exaggerated. "Normal" 10mm loads will present no recoil issues. "Heavy" loads will recoil more as expected. A warm 10mm and the .45 Super recoil very similarly, I would say the 10mm recoils a tad less because the G20/20sf has a slightly beefier slide (internally) than the G21/21sf, I think the G20/20sf is the heaviest slide Glock makes. I say all the way around recoil is a non-issue with any Glock.

Accuracy is great with both. I would have to give the slight edge to the .45, but that's assuming you're proficient at shooting a Glock accurately. Both are amazing pistols and would be a grand addition to anyone's collection.

18. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

800x is good for upper end loads but I will say that the 180xtp will not run 1500 fps in the 10mm...not safely anyways. I am speaking of a pistol like the G20/20sf...I'm sure you might could do it if you had an extra long custom barrel or was using some type of carbine rifle setup in 10mm.

I would personally never use such a load in a stock barrel and if you did, you will be well shy of 1500 fps. One manual says that eve 10.1grs of 800x is around 1250fps, not 1500fps. With Longshot I've got near 1300fps (180gr) but even then, the brass was pretty well bulged in a stock setup. I've loaded 9grs 800x under a 200gr XTP and averaged 1,180fps from the G20. An extra .5gr and a 20gr lighter bullet will not equal 1500 fps....you will be somewhere in the 1200's.

I just want to say, the 10mm is a nice cartridge. BUT a .44 Magnum it isn't...not by a LONG shot...it's not a .41 Magnum either...far from it. The 10mm compares favorably power-wise to the .357 Magnum and to be honest, I tend to think the .357 slightly edges out the 10mm in that category.

19. AMSting

AMSting

Hater :)

I agree, I have not seen any numbers showing 180 grain bullets going 1500fps. Maybe it was a typo, because I have seen that velocity for 135 grains. 10mm is special, but it's not magical.

20. Ya_Huckleberry

Ya_Huckleberry

Great thread. I have always been a big .45 fan and was looking for one when I stumbled across my recently purchased G29. I started thinking maybe I made a mistake as I bought the G29 without any prior research. Kind of a "wow, didnt expect to see one but since I was going to buy a gun, I will get this one" when looking for a new .45. Then trying to find ammo, it is not easy as I am not a big inernet buyer. I went to bass pro locally and found one type of 10MM ammo and it was 175 grain. There was endless supplies of .45, .40 and 9mm in all different brands but two boxes of 10MM. I started having regrets but this thread has rebuilt my enthusiasm in my Glock. Even if dealing with ammo purchases is a little difficult.