10 days in the San Luis Obispo area

Discussion in 'California Glockers' started by 357glocker, Jul 14, 2007.

1. 357glocker

357glocker

Heading to the area for 10 days starting July 31 for a work related trip. Have the 3rd and 4th off, going to fly my girlfreind down for the weekend. Looked online and saw the basic tourist stuff to do but any thing else that you recommend for the area? Sunday I have to drive her back to LAX to fly out in the evening so we'll have most of the day Sunday in the SLO/LA area too. Any ideas?

Also, trying to keep it relatively cheap.....if possible

2. BlindBoyJoe

BlindBoyJoe

San Luis Obispo (SLO) is a really cool area. It depends on what you want to do. If you want to go to a smaller, more artsy/romatic town with your girlfroiend then I suggest Cambria. It is about 45 min North of SLO. It is awesome!! There is wine tasting, great places to eat, shopping, hiking on the beach, and seals and marine life everywhere. There is also Hurst Castle near by and lots of great vista points.

Also Morro Bay is cool, if you like Beer I would check out Morro Bay Brewery. It is a tiny whole in the wall, the guy that owns it sells beer just so that he can make the beer. It is a no frills place but they have some of the best beer I have ever tasted!!

I hope that helps. I try to go up to that area (I am from LA) about 2 times a year.

Ohhh, I forgot, the Hogue Pistol range is also near SLO. That is where they have the IDPA (I think) Revolver Championship. Just thought I would throw that in!

3. 357glocker

357glocker

Thanks BBJoe,
    Does that Hogue Range rent pistols by any chance? I may stop by one day as I'm working mostly late afternoons and evenings while there.

Any particular spot on the beach to see the seals and a neat sunset?

4. BlindBoyJoe

BlindBoyJoe

If you follow HWY 1 North into San Simeon (just past Cambria) there is an area to your left that has a lot of the elephant seals on the beach. They are there year round for the most part. When I was there it was there "mating" season.....it was a little to National Geographic for me but still amazing. Here is a link that will give you some more information.
    http://www.elephantseal.org/

For hiking I reccomend an area in Cambria along the bluffs. I have encolsed a link to a map. If you follow HWY 1 North make a left on Winsor and follow that all the way until it ends, you will find an amazing hiking area along the bluffs. Really beautiful. It is an easy walk and there is a ton of places to take pictures. Here is the link to the map.
    http://www.cambriachamber.org/ChamberMapClr.pdf

As far as Hogues, I am not sure what they have to offer. I have yet to go there and check it out. I usually just pass by it and comment to my girlfriend how we need to go there. It looks like a nice facility.

There is also a ton of wineries around the Paseo Robles area. If you are into wine tasting it is a great place. I think there are 75 or so wineries up there. I really like the Dark Star wines. You can't get it anywhere else but at the winerie. Here a link.
    http://www.darkstarcellars.com/index.php

Hope this helps. Keep in mind that the places I am mentioning are probably a 45 min drive north from SLO but it is well woth it.

5. ddj8052

ddj8052

The Hogue Action Pistol Range is only open to the public for matches. There is a public range a little further down the road there. The entire facility is called the San Luis Obispo Sportsman Association. SLOSA This is the website to find out more about our Facility. We will be holding a special Steel Challenge match at the Hogue range on August 5th. This is the last "practice " for those of us going down to the Steel Challenge World Shoot in Piru. If you can get that day off we would love to have you come out and play. If you can come out and play I will be happy to lend you some some gear to shoot the match if you cannot bring any with you. Oh, and unfortunatley the public range does not rent any guns. Although I think that the trap and skeet range do have rental shotguns, although I am not sure since I seldom go down there. Please let me know if you hve any more questions about the range.

As far as other things to do, you should really do yourself a favor and drive to Pismo and have dinner at Guiseppes. They have some of the best Italian food I have ever had. Also, during the day you can drive down to the Oceano Dunes aka Pismo beach dunes and rent some quads and have a blast.

6. 357glocker

357glocker

Do you think my girlfriend would be upset if I went to the steel challenge instead of spending the day with her??? Nah, better not she's only there Saturday and Sunday, but I really appreciate the offer. I may be able to make it there on one of weekdays. Will I have any problems bringing a handgun into California? I'd love to bring my AR for the rifle range but I don't want that to end up staying in CA LEO's possession, not to mention being stolen from the room while I'm working!
    We are planning to spend a day at Pismo, so we'll check out that restraunt. The last three days I'm there I may be staying at the Spyglass Inn depending on if the hotel in SLO can open a room or not.
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

7. miwall

miwall

357, there is an indoor range in SLO that rents guns. it is called Rangemasters. Take Higuera st. south of downtown to Granada ct turn left and it is on the right side of the first block. They can set you up with whatever you need.
    Make sure to hit the farmers market Thursday night and check out all the crazy libs and great food. Hit McClintocks for some awesome bbq. It is downtown on Higuera st also. Make sure you bring a sweatshirt as it can get cool down on the beaches in the morning and evenings. Just check out all the beach towns, walk the piers and check out the locals. It is a nice place to visit.

8. 357glocker

357glocker

Yeah, I was thinking it was going to get a little cool. I will be working up at Diablo Canyon power plant. I'll check out that indoor range one day!

9. AAshooter

AAshooter

Beware of Cambria . . . I have several friends that spent the day there, went out for a nice dinner, and ended up engaged!
    :hearts: :shocked: :supergrin:

I think this place was one of the bad influences: http://www.bramblesdinnerhouse.com/

10. AAshooter

AAshooter

11. zeppe807

zeppe807 Always Prepared

Like said before there are a lot of things to say about this area.

If you want one of the best steaks you will ever have go to Jako's in Nipomo. If you want great ribs and you are in SLO on Thursday for farmers market, I think the Old Country Deli has the best ribs, but the Tri Tip at McClintocks is great too.

I think that the trip to Pismo would be enjoyed by all and there are quite a few places to eat there too that are good, I like Brads for their Clam Chowder, it is much better than the other one that always has the newbies waiting in line (They only go there once).

the Rangemaster indoor range is good and there are good people working there.

This is all great land and there is a lot to do. Let us all know more when you come, and if you have any more questions post-up.

12. HarlDane

HarlDane

Weatherby Rifles is located just over the hill in Paso Robles. If your in Pismo, rent a buggy or some quads and hit the Dunes at Oceano. As others have said, head north up the coast to Cambria, Morro Bay or any of the other great little towns along the Central Coast.