10/22 Takedown...any complaints?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by emt1581, Apr 28, 2012.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

It's been a while since I've bought a gun. I just haven't seen any that filled any niches for me. However, I just today discovered the 10/22 takedown model and I gotta say, I want one.

I've already owned a Henry takedown (the old survival rifle) which was the worst rifle I've ever owned hands down....just a total POS! Sold it to a GTer in a parking lot for $50 (he knew of it's issues).

I also have a pair of Marlin Papooses. Good guns and they've been reliable.

However, the 10/22 takedown seems like it'd blow the other takedowns out of the water!

Ruger reliability, 25rd mags, awesome ergonomics and a full stock just to name a few. Plus the case looks great!

But are there any complaints with this model?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  2. bsg1

bsg1

i'll be following this thread. sorry, i can't contribute to pros and cons of this Ruger;

i'm interested as well....

3. Steel & Wood

Steel & Wood Build the Wall

What he said!

I want one too and will be ordering one as soon as it is available at my favorite shop!

TGG

4. RCP

RCP

I've actually been contemplating selling my 10/22 and using the proceeds towards the 10/22 takedown.

5. airflyer

airflyer

Mine has been great seems to hold point of aim after been taken it apart and putting back together multiple times, my only problems have been new 25 rd mags .Do not want to feed cci mini mags hollow points very well ,hang up on nose of bullet on mag .Other ammo no problems

6. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I called Cabelas tonight. They have them in stock for $349. I've got about $250 in points, coupons, and gift cards so I could probably get one for just over $100 OTD. I'm thinking I'll wait until Thanksgiving/Christmas time when we get invited to their dinner/employee pricing night. By then I'll be able to get one and a few of the Ruger 25rd. mags for free.

-Emt1581

7. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Ruger mags or BC?

Thanks

-Emt1581

8. Steel & Wood

Steel & Wood Build the Wall

I was going to ask the same thing:wavey:

TGG

9. airflyer

airflyer

Problems have been with two of the new ruger mags 25 rds didn't have lots of time to sort out problems just have falures with both right out of pkg might need to be broken in ?
    Had zero problems from other mags or this gun

10. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

This is the first I've read about any issues.

In fact, on Cabela's website there were 20 reviews by customers. All 20 gave 5 out of 5 stars. Can't say I've ever seen that before.

I don't know much about these mags but from the sounds of it, you should contact Ruger and let them know.

-Emt1581

11. airflyer

airflyer

I want to go back out when I have more time and sort out what was causing misfeeds , ran all other ammo fine but mag sure didn't want to feed them that day properly a fluke .
    I like the rifle nice gun

12. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

I bought the first one I saw a few weeks ago for 299. I use the black Ruger 25 rounders and have had nothing but bliss shooting the gun. I have a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire with the BDC 150 and so far the gun is a tackdriver and I take it apart and bag it after every use. I sure hope ruger decides to make some replacement barrels to make the gun ultimate fun. I'm thinking maybe that's their idea because the bag has a space for a spare barrel! I cannot recommend this rifle more! If your thinking of buying one, buy it!

13. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

One guy mentioned the idea of a .17 barrel. I've never looked at the caliber other than mistaking it for .22lr at Wal-Mart. I'm guessing it's a better caliber for small game. :dunno:

-Emt1581

14. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Firefighter/EMT

Here is a pro to that gun.......

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgLm7rSg5JA&feature=channel&list=UL"]Thompson Machine Operative TD Ruger 10/22 Takedown - YouTube[/ame]

15. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I could get the barrel threaded and use my Outback II just the same. Don't think I didn't think of that within the first minute of discovering this gun. ;)

-Emt1581

16. Bob Hafler

Bob Hafler

I think it's to new to form any real opinion at this point. The concept is great, but time will tell how it holds up in the long run. I think I'll hold off a bit before I get to seriously thinking about up grading from the 10/22 I already have. I will say that I've never had any complaints with my Ruger rifles

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  17. NailShooter

NailShooter

Well it should be darn close since both iron sights are on the barrel.

I've read a few reports that if a scope is mounted (goes on the receiver) that it can take a couple of shots after the barrel is remounted for it to get close to original scope zero again.

I bought one when the first wave of them hit the stores. It runs like a watch on the 10rd mags. Have not tried the 25rd Ruger mag in mine yet. The stainless steel barrel is a work of art as far as machining goes. The chamber, rifling and crown on mine are beautifully machined. It is capable of pretty good (iron sight groups) at 25 yds off a bag. The brass front bead is hard to see in bright sunlight though.

Only thing I'd change is the microscopic bolt release lever which is difficult to operate but I think somebody makes a larger replacement one. Anybody got a link for that? Regards,

Nail

18. 4 glocks

4 glocks

Hickok 45 just a did a review on one a couple days ago.

19. 4 glocks

4 glocks

20. Magus

Magus Deo Vindice

Just got one yesterday. My local dealer just got one in and couldn't pass it up.

Initial impressions are quite positive. Have not been able to shoot it yet, so I can't speak on performance.

In terms of build quality though, it's quite good. Thing is a cinch to put together and take apart. You can also adjust the tightness of the fit to find the sweet spot for your rifle. The case it comes with is actually pretty good and pretty versatile.

Synthetic stock is pretty comfy. Seems very durable. The stainless finish is also well done.

Can't say I'm wild about the iron sights on it. They're usable, but there are better options. The front is a gold dot which you can barely see, so it's basically just black on black sights which for my eyes is hard to pick up. I may get some different sights or mount an optic on mine, haven't decided yet. This would be my only minor complaint.

Otherwise, if you can find one, go for it. It's a pretty good deal and a very handy little carbine.