close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1 Suppressor for both Glock and AR-15?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by new2mud, May 23, 2007.

1. new2mud

new2mud

If purchasing 1 and only 1 suppressor, and a G17, and a .223 AR-15 with removable (Ciener, AACK) .22 conversion kit are fair game what suppressor would you guys recommend?

I am hearing of some folks putting 9mm cans onto their .22--does this apply also to .223?

So, would a 9mm can be suitable to shoot on both the G17 as well as the AR, in both .223 and .22 configurations?

Or is the best bet to just buy a .223 can and use it on the AR only, but in both .223 and .22 configs?

Thanks!

2. biggl35

biggl35 NFA user

Most all 9mm cans are made out of aluminum, as 9mm is a relatively a low pressure round.

Most all .223 cans are made of steel, stainless steel and iconel steel, as .223 is a high pressure round.

In other words, a 9mm can will not hold up to the extreme pressures of a .223 round, nor will it have very good DB reduction due to oversized bore of the 9mm can.

Shooting .22lr through a .223 can is fine, if the suppressor mfg is OK with it. However, .22lr is dirty ammo and will "fill-up" a suppressor over time. Some suppressor mfg's recommend firing a couple of .223 rounds through the can after you have shot .22lr through it, this supposedly burns off the lead and wax residue inherrent when firing .22lr.

Hope this helps.

3. new2mud

new2mud

Is the .22 lead filling up the suppressor something that can be user-serviced (i.e. open up and clean)?

Are there recommended .223 cans that can effectively be used with .22 and easily "unclogged"?

4. Panzerfaust

Panzerfaust

Any .223 suppressor will work for a .22LR. The opposite is not true, however.

There is enough clearance in the suppressor to ensure the .22 bullet will not clog up the suppressor inards.

5. biggl35

biggl35 NFA user

IIRC, there is no "user-service-friendly" .223 cans on the market.

In all honesty, I know you said you only want to buy one silencer, but it doesnt work that way. You see, once you buy your first "can" and understand the process and the paperwork that is required to buy one, you will relize how easy it is and will buy more when funds permit.

Believe this: Silencers are like potato chips, you just cant have just one. ;)

6. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

At a minimum, you will need 3 suppressors.

22lr
    9mm
    5.56mm

The 5.56 can be used for shooting 22lr in an AR, but will give you issues on a AA conversion unit.

9mm suppressor will work for 9mm on the glock, 9mm AR, 300-221 in the AR. It may work with 22lr AA conversion, but I think it will cause you issues.

22lr suppressor is good for 22lr AA conversion and 22lr conversion AR. If you shoot a 5.56 through your 22lr suppressor you will kill it.

I agree that they are like potatoe chips, you can't just have one.
    I would suggest getting the 22lr first. It is the most like TV. Followed by 9mm suppressor, it is very functional. You will hear how 9mm subsonic sounds vs. suppersonic.

7. ColoradoPacker

ColoradoPacker What's a Glock?

You can get a TAC16 suppressor which comes apart for cleaning if you want to shoot 5.56 and 22LR through it.

You likely can shoot 22LR though the 9mm can but with the large bore of the can it might not suppress as well as a smaller 22 can. You could probably also roll your own subsonic .223 loads at 1000 fps and shoot them through the 9mm can, but a full power .223 / 5.56 will kill the 9mm can. Most .223 cans are welded inside as well as being made from steel or titanium. Manufacturers will often rebuild a leaded-up can for 1/4 - 1/2 the new price and no new tax stamp.

I bought a 22LR can, then within 3 months had to have a 9mm and 5.56 can, then 3 months later bought a second 22LR can. You can nver have too many, or just one. My 22 cans are a Gemtech Outback II ($300) and LCW Predator ($150). My 9mm and 5.56 are the AAC EVO-9 and M4-2000 ($1,600 for the two as a package deal).

The LCW Predator 22LR model can handle limited bursts of full auto (1-2 thirty round mags then cooling down), and comes apart for cleaning. The TAC16 can handle a 100 round beta mag dump of .223 ammo. Big difference in strength and size...

8. new2mud

new2mud

Yeah--that's what I was afraid of: you just can't stop yourself from buying more.

COPacker-I may have to try to meet up with you sometime to experience yours--I'm in Routt Co, but get to the front range every so often.

9. biggl35

biggl35 NFA user

I totally forgot about the TAC16 being user serviceable, thanks for correcting me CP.

10. ColoradoPacker

ColoradoPacker What's a Glock?

Sure. sounds good...