1 round chambered

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Don-H, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Don-H

Don-H Previously DonHommy

Hi, I'm new using guns, my first gun it's G19G5 for EDC.
    How many carry one round on chamber,

If can help me out to understand the process of changing mind to start carry one on chamber

I really don't know if anyone has been on my situation.

Please easy on me.

Seroke likes this.
  2. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

If you are going to carry a gun, it's always hot. Take shooting lessons from a competent trainer, active LEO or retired LEO for CCW.

3. jr24

jr24

I assume from your wish to understand the process you are concerned with accidental discharge with one in the chamber carry (which is, IMO, the only way to carry).

Easiest way is to carry with no round chambered but your Glock trigger "cocked" so to speak (as if you had a round), then realize after days, weeks, months, whatever it takes that the trigger won't pull itself and if you follow the 4 rules you will be fine.

4. Amos Iron Wolf

Amos Iron Wolf

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVPiic-ELoM&t=4s

Just make sure you use a holster that covers the trigger. Drill yourself that the finger stays along the frame until you come online to shoot and comes out when you come off back to ready. This is where presentation drills and dry fire help. If done right of course.

5. porschedog

porschedog

Revolvers always have one in th chamber, as it were. No one sweats that. Just keep your booger picker off the trigger until it is time to make it go loud.

6. Gperfection

Gperfection

I recommend that you carry, with a round chambered. Just as soon as you chamber a round, put the gun in a good holster that covers the trigger guard. I teach this process, slide locked to the rear, insert a fully loaded magazine, drop the slide and remove the magazine, put it in the holster, then top off your magazine and insert it with authority into the gun. Now you are ready to go. The only way the Glock can fire is if the trigger is pressed, so once the trigger is covered, it is safe.

7. sciolist

sciolist

Well, the real problems start when you have more than 1 round chambered. But ya, your carry gun should be hot all the time.

8. Com 45acp

Com 45acp

9. voyager4520

voyager4520

Make sure when inserting the gun into its holster that the opening in the holster is free of obstructions, particularly the button snap strap if your holster has one. As well some soft holsters can have part of the holster at its opening fold over as you insert the gun if you're not careful. You don't want anything working its way into the trigger guard as you holster.

n2g, Caver 60, Capt. H and 3 others like this.
  10. Keith Pierson

Keith Pierson Exploring Alternate Routes

Always carry with a round chambered. An unloaded gun is a stick, and life happens really fast when things go bad.
    If you are uncertain of your ability, fix that. Training is right up there just ahead of ammo in the "what to get first" category. A proper holster will cover the trigger and guard, and a Glock (most others as well) can't discharge without a trigger pull.
    Happy obsessing,

11. Big1

Big1

Yep one in the chamber trained do that and as you can see it more of a benefit for you to do that.

Don-H likes this.
  12. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

Well said.

One in the chamber is the responsible way to carry a firearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m9130, SRT Shaft, joecarp and 4 others like this.
  13. Speleothem

Speleothem

Only one round in the chamber. :supergrin:

Mr. McQ, ChuteTheMall and Don-H like this.
  14. Glenfiddich

Glenfiddich

When dealing with such things one should use correct terminology (e.g., mag vs clip).

In this case I believe that the correct technical terminology is, "keep your booger hook off of the bang switch" ... :)

That said ...

Don-H, for all of the 43+ years since I started carrying, I have always carried with a round in the chamber. FWIW.

15. hardluk1

hardluk1

Biggest concern is when your reholstering .

You most be sure clothing is out of the way before re holstering

You need a holster that does not close up when holster is removed special for IWB .

You can also practice at home with a EMPTY handgun with no mag and watch what you doing to make it part of you skill sets .

Also if you can buy a airsoft pistol that matches what your carry as a non lethal handgun for practice it will make a great training tool you can use at home shooting a target on a folded blanket or with a folded towel on the blanket . Roll the bottom a couple turns to control the pellets when they fall to the floor .

You will see videos where both instructors and self proclaimed experts re holsters almost as quickly as they draw , there cool guys . When done shooting , practice S L O W L Y re holstering while paying attention to what your doing .

It will be come natural to do . The National Shooting Sport Foundation has a number of you tube videos that may help you with some of the basics

Mitche, n2g, Slantnose and 7 others like this.
  16. rogn

rogn real dogs

If there's any question on reholstering then USE BOTH HANDS! One hand reholstering ofter results in undesired consequences.

n2g, Caver 60, droptrd and 1 other person like this.
  17. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

If you are new to using guns, you need to sign up to one of the many reputable handgun self defense clinics that are held around the country by experts who not only have decades of handgun training experience, but years of real world handgun defense experience.

Also, I highly recommend seeking out a local club that stages any one of the following practical handgun competitions like IDPA, USPSA or GSSF, ideally more than one of those. Join the club amd start learning.

Frankly, if you were a relative of mine and asked my opinion, I would tell you to not carry your weapon until you have had at least a week or so worth of actual handgun defensive training and shot a few competitions so you were semi literate when it comes to defensive handgun use.

Along that path, all these kinds of questions will be resolved and you will be much safer as a handgun owner.

18. sullyxlh

sullyxlh

If that's the case you need to rethink your gear and your methods, you can NEVER rely on having an extra free hand.
    Training will eliminate any "undesired consequences".

Don-H likes this.
  19. sullyxlh

sullyxlh

Competent trainers yes

Active LEO or retired LEO for CCW, unless they're instructors in the training business I wouldn't look too much to them for training or advice......

20. NMG26

NMG26

I'd go to a basic fire arms class that includes concealed carry.
    Is there one in your area?

joecarp, n2g, janice6 and 1 other person like this.