1) pistol choice, 2) shooting year round

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by nchanin, Jul 13, 2007.

1. nchanin

nchanin Guest

To range officers at Eagle creek, I want to say thanks for your help last week. I am looking forward to spending a lot of time practicing there.

Question 1:
    I am determined to get a Glock because of their dependability. After shooting the .22s last weekend, I am also determined to get a .22 pistol.

I was wondering if there are any thoughts about which .22 to get? I'm really debating between an Advantage Arms conversion kit (which would allow me to practice with my main pistol which I'm planning to be the 19), or whether I should just get a stand alone .22- the Mark II was definitely nice. At this point, I just want to build a solid foundation.

Question 2:
    Where do you shoot when it is cold outside? I believe Eagle Creek is only open part of the year. I think I'm going to have to join up at MCFGA. Is that the main alternative to EC?

Thanks,

2. Buckaroo

Buckaroo

Get the AA kit they are really great. Then you can keep your eye out for a spare frame like I did and have a .22 Glock!

3. nchanin

nchanin Guest

4. biggl35

biggl35 Guest

I am not a fan of conversion kits, that being said, I can understand why folks like them as they allow you to use the same "manual of arms" as your primary weapon.

But I am a firm believer in practicing with the loads that your gun is originally chambered for. IMHO, it will make you a better shooter with your everday carry weapon.

My advice, get a Glock that best fits you in the round that you prefer and practice, practice and practice some more.

As far as getting a .22 pistol, I am quit fond of the Ruger series of pistols. My favorite is the Ruger MKII 22/45, mine sports a Pac-Lite upper reciver and a Tac-Innovations Stratus suppressor.

Pron for your enjoyment.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Guest

I own several Ruger MkII 22/45s as well. I find them to be great "girlfriend" guns to train novice shooters.

I'm not happy with what Ruger did to the MkIII 22/45.:shocked:

6. nchanin

nchanin Guest

The Ruger is the .22 I am thinking about. If I had enough money, I'd get both. I am actually thinking about getting an RWS air pistol first, thinking that I can take it to the range while I wait for my carry license. Sounds like the wait is long enough on that that I can get pretty good on the fundamentals, and move straight to the g19 ;)

7. Scutter01

Scutter01

There are only two indoor ranges (that I know of) that are worth a darn in the greater Indianapolis area. One is Popguns on the east side at 10th and Post and the other is Bullseye in Kokomo. Don's Guns also has a range on 38th street west of downtown, but I refuse to spend a dime there for a number of reasons.

Bullseye is my range of choice, but it's a bit of a hike to get up there. Popgun is a nice range, but it's usually very crowded. Even with a membership, there's often a wait for a lane.

You can also try the Atlanta Conservation Club, which is members-only. It's an outdoor range, but it's possible they are open year-'round.

8. nchanin

nchanin Guest

9. biggl35

biggl35 Guest

KSF, you are right on the money about the Ruger MII being the ultimate "girlfriend" gun. My GF loves my 22/45, especially with the suppressor on it.

Next time you visit the parental units, walk next door and give me a visit, I love showing off my little suppressed 22/45.

Also, I agree, Ruger really screwed the pooch with the MKIII 22/45. However, there is a product that should hit the market in the future that will change the Ruger world forever.

Take a look at this.

10. USAret

USAret Guest

Just my opinion. There is exactly ONE reason to own a pistol chambered in 22LR or even 22short.

To teach one's children or grandchildren how to shoot a pistol, then moving em up to something viable for self-defense.

I don't believe in practicing with a 22LR pistol and I don't see any value in doing so unless one competes with one. I ALWAYS practice with rounds that duplicate the ballistics and recoil of my carry rounds; meaning same loading with a FMJ instead of the more expensive JHP.

Now don’t get me wrong I like to go “plinking” as much as the other guy, for that I use a 10/22 ON PURPOSE. Small long-gun = fun and cheap ammo. Back home “plinking” usually means blasting vermin (primarily Gophers) on one’s own property or a local ranchers (they appreciate it if you ask nicely, saves them time and $). Even at the closest possible range a 22LR coming out of a pistol is just not enough to get the job done.

LSS. I don’t consider shooting a pistol chambered in 22LR “practice”. My opinion is that you are only fooling yourself cuz when the SHTF your self-defense blaster is not going to shoot the same way and you might “lose” or worse.

Possibly that is why I’ve never owned a pistol in 22LR for any longer than 12-18 months.

BTW I abandoned the whole 22LR pistol step entirely with my youngest son. He shot his first pistol in .40 S&W out of my G22. Since he did well from the first round he now regularly pumps out 2-3” groups with my G31C. So maybe I’ll skip the 22LR pistol lessons entirely with the grandsons also.

11. Buckaroo

Buckaroo

12. luxone

luxone dis-Member

I would get a Ruger .22 of some sort. I have a Mark III Hunter and love it! There is a reason Glock hasn't got into the .22 business and I suspect it's because Ruger has mastered it. The after market parts and accessories for the Ruger's are abundant. Magazines for the AA have to be ordered and aren't as available. Just my .02, YMMV.

13. sjstill

sjstill Guest

Don't overlook the Smith 22A. I like mine better than my Browning Buckmark Silhouette.

I don't know that I'd ever allow myself to purchase a Mk III Ruger.

IMO, trigger time is trigger time, regardless of what caliber. The basics are the same - front sight & trigger press.

14. epsylum

epsylum Guest

BIG +1

My shooting greatly improved after buying and shooting .22s. Now I love them. They are good practice because it builds muscle memory without the recoil. The recoil should not be a factor in the actual firing of the gun. If it is, you are flinching. Recoil only comes after the shot is fired. I have seen many people develop a horrible flinching habit by trying to learn on centerfires. It is not impossible to overcome, but it costs a lot more and takes more time than just practicing with a .22. I no way think it is a replacement of practicing with the gun you plan to defend your life with the ammo you plan on using, but it a very good supplement, even for seasoned shooters.

Also +1 on the 22a. Good gun for the money if you can get past the funky looks (I can, some can't). Rugers (I am partial to the MkII over the III, just because I dislike the lawyer features), Buckmarks, 22a, Beretta 87 Target, and old High Standards (my favorite right now) are all good.