1 Magazine sticks on locked back slide Gen 3 G23

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Bob Loblaw, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw

Greetings,
    TLDR: When the slide is locked back, every time, even if not fired, one of my mags will not drop freely and has to be stripped out (it will eventually drop if you shake it out). The other mag works just fine, every time. Both mags drop freely when empty with the slide in battery. What would cause this?

1st range trip for a used Gen 3 G23, which didn't appear to have been fired much if at all. Came with 2 10 round factory magazines that also appeared to be in like new condition. I shot 130 rounds of Winchester White Box 180gr using both mags. On the first full mag, the problem magazine(see above) didn't lock the slide back when empty. It locked the slide back properly when empty the next 10 times I tested it. The other mag worked flawlessly every time - locking back the slide and freely dropping when released.

I'd like to keep the gun because it shoots great otherwise. I plan to go back to the broker and request a replacement mag. What else should I consider? Thanks.

2. ggarciatx

ggarciatx Cold War Sailor

Are you limited to 10 round magazines? I have seen way more problems with 10 round glock magazines. Get 13 rounders and you should have no more problems. Call Glock, explain and I'm sure they will fix you up.

3. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw

Yes, I'm limited to the 10 round magazines.

4. Pandaz3

Pandaz3

Factory, not store or broker.

5. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw

Sounds good, I will give Glock a call tomorrow and see what they can do.

I'm still curious what would cause a mag to only stick when the slide is locked back. To clarify, this happens without even shooting if I pull the slide back.

Pandaz3 likes this.
  6. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw

I called Glock customer service/Tech support and they said to send in the mag with a note explaining what the problem was. They will decide what they will do upon inspection. There wasn't a common reason offered.

Pandaz3 likes this.
  7. hivel9mm

hivel9mm

The mag in question may have enough spring force to eject it when the gun is in battery as the follower is pushed up against the slide. When the slide is locked back, the mag spring is not under this additional force to overcome whatever is causing the stickiness. At least that’s my theory.

Bob Loblaw, Pandaz3 and Firecop203 like this.
  8. Firecop203

Firecop203

How old is this magazine? Early Glock magazines were specifically made to not drop free. You may have have one of those mixed in with your others.

9. cwampler

cwampler

Ditto. I’d say you have an older non drop free mag. Post pics and someone will be able to confirm.

10. Trucker3573

Trucker3573

Who cares....pitch it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

J-Doo and Pandaz3 like this.
  11. QNman

QNman Old timer

Because there is no “common cause”. My first thought would be to check the follower and the spring. There should be at least two coils exposed when the baseplate is removed. If not, your spring is either worn or incorrect.

Bob Loblaw likes this.
  12. QNman

QNman Old timer

Good point... what shape is the back of the opening? Round or square?

13. cciman

cciman

Causes in order of likelihood:
    • dirty mag well- clean it
    • Old or non factory mag- earlier ones were not metal lined and plastic can bulge
    • weak mag spring
    • Mag damaged or deformed- check the body of the mag against the others for dirt, burrs.
    • damaged gun - mag well deformed or out of spec, or plastic burr inside.

Bob Loblaw likes this.
  14. Operator_AF

Operator_AF

First, don’t ever rely on a magazine to drop free. I used to be apart of the let it fall for speed group, but some FoF training taught me otherwise.

How old is the mag? I know it looks new, but some of the older magazines, even the full metal lined mags, stick for whatever reason. If the magazine functions reliably, keep it. Dropping free is not apart of reliability. I’d save the hassle of going through the broker and just order another mag for $25. I probably have 15 magazines for my 23.

Bob Loblaw and Pandaz3 like this.
  15. Bradd D

Bradd D

Glock will likely send you a new mag.

Pandaz3 likes this.
  16. Operator_AF

Operator_AF

My experience is Glock tends to give mags away. S&W is really good about parts/accessory support too. I think they've figured out that the ~$10 hit they take on a magazine off sets any potential negative press a faulty mag could produce.

17. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw

Thanks for the feedback. It's a 4th gen mag. I totally get that mags need to be replaced. My real inquiry is to find out if it's a problem with the gun itself. Doesn't sound like it. One good thing is that i've never had a mag stick on me that I can recall so it's been a learning opportunity.