1.260 45 acp not ejecting from Taurus 1911

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Russ Not the Mod, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Russ Not the Mod

Russ Not the Mod

A friend of mine is having issues ejecting live factory ammo from his Taurus 1911. I gave him a handful of my Xtreme 230gr loaded to 1.230 and they eject just fine.

Can I safely bump his 1.260 rds. down to 1.230 and re taper crimp them? It can physically be done but do you folks think that would increase the pressure too much? I think not.

These are Remington 230's as well as WWB and I think AE too.

The rounds get hung up like 2 dogs humping on the breech face and the front RH side of the slide. Consistently. Hard as a beech to rack the slide back and tap them back into the empty magwell and drop out of the bottom.

If we rack the bejesus out of it, a lot will extract but they fly across the room terrible. It's a freaking joke.

This is a new gun, approx. 3-400 rds thru it. I did the extractor test before I totally disassembled the slide and cleaned everything up and dried all the oils that he liberally squirted into it to no avail.

He doesn't load his own but I am willing to do 10 or so just to test out then let him get a small SS to bump his own stuff back or start loading his own.

What say the Reloader Brain Trust?

2. RagnarLothar

RagnarLothar

I'm shocked to hear somebody is having a problem with a Taurus handgun.

gunowner1 and JBnTX like this.

3. Russ Not the Mod

Russ Not the Mod

Their autos I get. I have had good luck with the revolvers actually

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  4. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Many years ago, the standard Colt 1911s had the appearance of an ejection problem. I'm not going to go completely out on a limb saying that it was a Colt issue but the solution was to cut down the ejection port. If you look at Colt 1911 Government Combat models, Colt also cut down the ejection port.

I don't know anything about the Taurus models but it should darn well shoot factory ammo! The maximum length is 1.275" for 230 gr FMJ.

5. fredj338

fredj338

The ejection port needs slight opening up. Imo, fwiw, seating that tiny amount deeper isnt moving pressure much in the low pressure 45acp. Seems like a lot of work though. A good gunsmith can open the port, like $50??

6. fredj338

fredj338

The issue he says is ejecting live rds. Not an uncommon problem if you load the long, regardless of pistol manuf.

7. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

Eject the Taurus and put the ammo in something else.

8. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

I had a Colt LW Officers Model that had same symptom. I was loading to 1.260 with fmj Win 230 gr. bullets. Got the ejection port "lowered" and no more ejection problems. Little sucker ran great after that with Wilson 47 mags.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Is ejecting live ammo a performance issue that matters?

jmorris and JBnTX like this.
  10. Russ Not the Mod

Russ Not the Mod

I laughed my a$$ off. I told him to buy a Ruger.

I had a Taurus 1911 that shot anything I put thru it. Reloaded ball, factory ball, reloaded Good accuracy too. I just didn't like the fact it wouldn't take regular 'ol 1911 parts. There were quite a few parts the were proprietary.

Thanks for the confirmation Fred. I just like to run it by you guys in the "know" so I don't screw up.

I can easily open up the ejection port and do a dang good job of it. Problem is, the slide looks like a Parkerized black color. A guy would almost have to redo the slide to make it look like something.

DirectDrive likes this.
  11. Russ Not the Mod

Russ Not the Mod

As much as I agree with you, I think the gun should clear for cleaning without issue. This sucker gets jammed up fing brutal. PITA to clear it.

I humbly say.

12. fredj338

fredj338

I have 1/2 dozen diff 1911, colt, Springfield, s&w, all made within the last 30y. Most will not eject longer loaded ball rds cleanly, even with the larger ejection ports. Shoot & eject anything fine but a saami max 45acp will just hamg up on all.

13. Russ Not the Mod

Russ Not the Mod

Ida never thunk it. I have had 2 1911's and they both ran like hell on anything and ejected anything.

Admittedly, I don't have your longevity and experience. And that's why I'm here. Guys like you.

14. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Well, Fred hit on it above: The topic is related to ejecting LIVE rounds, presumably it does eject the empty brass. When I cut down the ejection port it was to eject brass.

It still seems to me that the gun should eject factory rounds. I could understand if there were an issue with some of my LSWC. I recall having to cut down the feed ramp to get those to work in a standard 1911 back in '82. No problem with my recent guns.

15. fredj338

fredj338

Plus slap calipers on factory ammo, you might find oal on Some is longer than the 1.260" you measured. The forward portion of the ejection port can be relieved enough to pass loaded rds during ejection. It probably only tskes 0.010" or so.

16. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

I've seen quite a bit of WWB FMJ at 1.264" or so...

17. jmorris

jmorris

Play gun games and it is, magazine safety’s are a PITA too if that what you do.

If a gun won’t function properly with factory ammunition, I fix it. If it won’t function properly with reloads, I fix them.

18. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Did the rounds plunk test ok?