GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
8,697 Posts
I bought this one today. Lowes and home depot both have them for $199 right now. Comes with a 4ah battery and a charger. Normally $319. It's the high torque model and it weighs a ton but it supposedly has up to 700 ft lbs of torque. I tested it on a hitch bolt thats tightened to about 350 ft lbs and it made quick work of it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-XR-...ss-Impact-Wrench-1-Battery-Included/999947862

·
JAFO
13,680 Posts

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I'm more than happy with my Porter cable 20v 1/2" impact drive. Works great. haven't not been able to bust loose anything but its size gets in the way sometimes. I use my smaller porter cable impact for tight spaces.

·
Come on man!!
14,383 Posts
I had the 1/4 Dewalt 20V driver and drill set and took it back to Lowes and exchanged it for the 20 V 1/2 set with the hammer drill. Its a great set but its overkill for the average homeowner. I think it was about $400 when I got it in 2011.

I reinforced my kids play set with some extra pressure treated 4x4s and the hammer drill drilled through all three with ease and the driver has enough torque to easily break lug nuts loose and I've sunk at least a 1000 screws with it. It turned me into a Dewalt fan boy.

·
Registered
235 Posts
thread was older than i thought when i first posted. I had posted about Milwaukee M18 tools. Love my 1/2 impact. Had it for 2 years in heavy equipment / mining equipment repair. no complaints.

·
Premium Member
24,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

·
Registered
877 Posts
Love the “Freedom” of cordless tools but then so do “Burglar’s”....

Have the cordless Dewalt 20V Drill n Driver very handy.
Shortly after purchase, the “brushless” models appeared....don’t know if any better/worse but mine keep me happy.
Still hanging onto my Air powered tools.

·
Premium Member
24,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Love the “Freedom” of cordless tools but then so do “Burglar’s”....

Have the cordless Dewalt 20V Drill n Driver very handy.
Shortly after purchase, the “brushless” models appeared....don’t know if any better/worse but mine keep me happy.
Still hanging onto my Air powered tools.
Buy a backhoe. I sold mine but can borrow it if needed. Heck a couple who would help me...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Unless you are working on some really heavy equipment a 1/2 inch impact is waaay overkill. I have Makita impacts, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2. The 1/4 inch is my go to, and it does 95% of anything I ever need, especially if I use a breaker bar to get the nut started. And I never trust any impact to do the final torquing. always trust a torque wrench to do the final tightening.

The 3/8 and 1/2 are very heavy. Don't know why I have them.

·
Premium Member
24,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Unless you are working on some really heavy equipment a 1/2 inch impact is waaay overkill. I have Makita impacts, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2. The 1/4 inch is my go to, and it does 95% of anything I ever need, especially if I use a breaker bar to get the nut started. And I never trust any impact to do the final torquing. always trust a torque wrench to do the final tightening.

The 3/8 and 1/2 are very heavy. Don't know why I have them.
What kind? How much? I will be in Longmont by end of the month. A 1/4 won’t work. A 3/8 should. But I also wind up changing tires, heavy breaking bar stuff. Use a dewalt 1/2 Corded. But pita running cord.

·
Previously nutsnax
685 Posts
I feel it’s time to get a cordless impact. They have decent torque, battery life. I see a 1/2” impact $170 A 4 amp hr $90 or $20 off a 5 amp hr. (Unknown price) all 20v. People are claiming they can remove 8 lug nuts, put them back on multiple times on a charge. I’m getting to like using sockets on side of road less. I see WW has TWO 5 AH batteries $120 or 1 for $64. I don’t think with a charger? 1 battery with charger $140 at Fleet Farm. Another place $140 with 2 5ah batteries, charger. But they want $250 for the impact.
So you have to buy the impact here, battery, charger over there?
Dang now I see slight differences in the impact. Are they the same strength? Just cosmetic changes? Maybe I will stick to sockets, use a cord with real impacts?

Ok the more expensive are brushless, that sound like a bit more torque. I read a review where a guy said the one he bought had less power then his buddies. Looks like there are at least 3 variations using same battery. Dang nothing is easy.
I've heard Kobalt is really good and has a great ecosystem of tools

·
JAFO
13,680 Posts
Unless you are working on some really heavy equipment a 1/2 inch impact is waaay overkill.

Lol, if you live in the rustbelt and try to remove a lug nut, that's been on for several years, that lug nut is going to laugh at your girly 3/8" anything. :dunno:

·
Registered
784 Posts
Is this going to be left in your vehicle?

Does leaving the battery in a vehicle parked in the sun cause the battery to balloon?

I had a spare battery that I forgot about for a few months in my console - when I found it- it was destroyed because of the heat - Texas in the summer sun - I will guess 130+ degrees at least inside a vehicle.
I live in south Florida mine is fine I check the battery every two months

·
King Doofus.
5,495 Posts
I borrowed one from a co-worker to remove a harmonic balancer bolt. The install torque on the bolt was about 160ftlbs and I know it was alot more than that to break it free. God only knows how much torque it took to get it off, but off it came.

·
Registered
750 Posts
One of my techs at work just bought a Dewalt 20V impact driver mainly for lug nuts. It’s an amazing tool, way stronger than you’d imagine! I’ve used it twice, it will break some stuff so be careful!

I just bought a brushless Dewalt 20V 1/4” impact driver to rebuild my deck, estimated 1700 / 1800 3” screws, that driver is bad ass, I’m a newly converted Dewalt fan!

41 - 60 of 71 Posts