close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1,000 yard sniper shot and bullet drop

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TexanRon, Jan 26, 2010.

1. TexanRon

TexanRon Come 'n Take It

Was watching a History Channel show about marksmen of all types, from old west to modern day Army snipers. On the clip about the Army sniper, it was noted that on a 1,000 yard shot the bullet drop is over 30 feet, at 370 inches! Amazing what those guys can do with a rifle. He put 5 consecutive shots on target at 1,000 yards.

2. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Long as you got your DOPE (Data On Personal Equipment), you can do it all day long.

God bless our troops, especially our snipers!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010

3. BradD

BradD

The thing that's more amazing to me is compensation for the wind. I used to know the numbers, but a .308 drifts plenty far enough due to winds that one can barely perceive to cause a complete miss at 1000 yards. Then consider that the winds are not constant over the entire distance. They use mirage and other tools to estimate the wind, but if a guy thinks the wind is 4 mph and it's really 6 mph, I think that's plenty enough to cause a complete miss.

4. RedTape

RedTape

Yeah, distance isn't too bad once you've got a load worked up for your rifle. The wind on the other hand....

5. mattayo

mattayo

i watched that too and was very impressed with their skills. wish i could do it

6. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

Shots at that range make the arty boys sit on the sidelines and cry.

7. mechanica

mechanica Texazonan.

8. Bruce H

Bruce H

Go to the range at Chappel Flats on Camp Pendelton sometime. Watch the wind flags on the butts and at two, three, and five hundred yards. There is no rhyme or reason to the direction they point.

9. snair

snair

10. Peter95

Peter95

practice makes perfect.... those snipers are amazing...

11. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Also a very good article in the new American Rifleman on our snipers and counter snipers over in the middle east.

'Drew

12. chuckman

chuckman

At elevation. Shooting with three cross winds. Shooting from 'top to bottom.' Four second flight time. He missed twice before he hit, but the fact he hit at all is simply amazing.

13. Jumper

Jumper

Yeah but from what I understand, he was shooting into a group. A long shot no doubt but I think other shots have required more skill.

14. exmdshooter

exmdshooter WWJMBD?

I'm with you. Drop is predictable... wind is much harder to judge, and over 1000 yards will vary greatly in direction and intensity.

I'm sitting here looking at the ballistic data for Federal's 168 grain Gold Medal Match 308, and it shows that at 500 yards (that's as far as the data goes) the drift from a 10 mph crosswind is 22 inches. Keep in mind that at 1000 yards it will be considerably more than twice that, because the further the bullet travels the more velocity it loses and the longer it's subject to wind drift... in other words, drift is not a linear function of range, even if the wind is a constant.

Those guys do amazing thinigs.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  15. ShamGlock

ShamGlock

I saw the show too. It was good. I hate that a Canadian has the record for longest kill now. I loved the old school dude from Vietnam that used the M-14 with the Starlight scope.

16. chuckman

chuckman

A group of three, but only trying to hit one, the bad guy with the RPK. From a physics standpoint, it is about the most difficult shot a sniper would have to take. At that range you can't even dope your scope. I could imagine, though, shots that would require as much skill (i.e., bad guy with hostage, requiring a head shot through glass at 300 yards).

17. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

I just finished reading "Point of Impact" by Stephen Hunter.
    An excellent and informative tale about long range sniper shots. Aside from an utterly preposterous story line, I enjoyed the book.

18. hagar

hagar Millennium Member

19. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

with some practice and the right equipment, 1000 yard shots on an ipsc are not terribly difficult to pull off, given the right conditions. If the wind is 10+ mph, you are in for a test my friends. Misread the wind by as little as 1mph @ 1000yards, and you are 10 inches off target.

Any idiot can dial in the drop, it is constant and very predictable. The drift is an entirely different ballgame. This is why the marksman that I hang around use the heaviest bullets that will remain supersonic at target distance. This is also the reason many shooters are going to calibers that have a better BC than .30cal

20. Paul_J

Paul_J

X2, that is a good read. I also saw the History channel program. I think it was called Extreme Marksmen? Did you see the angle on the scope that was making that 1000 yard shot? I'm surprised the shooter didn't see the end of his barrel! :rofl: