08:40 PM

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by wabash, Jan 10, 2001.

1. VN350X10

VN350X10

I Vill haft to vork on it .......

uncle
    (did Bruno have a forge & anvil ?)

2. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I believe Bruno had a big grinder, but the prevailing rumor at the time was more like he was making kids disappear and then reanimating them with electricity (like in the Boris Karloff version of Frankenstein). You probably should practice your, "It's alive, it's alive. It is alive" speech.
    [​IMG]

3. VN350X10

VN350X10

Ve vill vork on that.....

4. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I finally got my Glock 36 to cycle 50 rounds of factory 230 grain hardball trouble free. I've probably put 400 rounds through it and cycled and dry fired it an additional 700 times. OMG, is that gun a handful. It is super accurate for an almost pocket pistol, but I could see how a novice could flinch and limp wrist their way to jam-o-matic heaven with a shotgun like pattern with that little gem. In case it isn't clear; me likey. Muy bien. The gun definitely had some break in time.
    My son took the High School AP Spanish, physics and History exams last week. :exercise: Today, he took the AP English exam. :exercise: The poor kid has been studying his @$$ off. Literally, he has no @$$ anymore. :okie:

5. VN350X10

VN350X10

The only problem I ever had w/my 36 was getting it to chamber the 1st round from the mag with my target reloads (H&G 68 bullet, 200 gr. SWC). After it went into battery, it cycled them just fine. Even ran them in Major Sub class @ a GSSF match, the RO said that if it jammed I wouldn't get an alibi, my comment was "fair enough"..:dancingbanana:..didn't need one. If I remember correctly, I was 3rd in Major-Sub that weekend :dancing:
    It never had any kind of bobbles with hardball. I just prefer to carry the G29 because of capacity, if I can't get out of trouble w/20 rds. of 10MM, I REALLY REALLY need my 590-A1 !
    So how did he come out on the exams ? :dunno:

uncle

6. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

The slide spring on these little subcompacts is surprisingly stout. I cycled and dry fired my G36 and my G30 something like 400 times last week. It felt like I did a workout.
    We won't know the AP test scores for a while, but he felt that he knew the answers. His SAT rating could have had better math scores, but his ACT scores were very high. He's really worked hard and I want to give him a reward, but he is an avowed minimalist and shows little interest (so I'll feed him hamburgers tonight). ... best I can do ....

7. VN350X10

VN350X10

About a billion years ago (it seems) my SAT scores really saved by butt ! ACT was better than decent, but my SAT Math & Science embarrassed my class Validictorian. He was #2.....

Has your son picked/applied to any colleges yet ?

uncle

8. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Applying to colleges is next on the agenda. Last month I handed my son and my wife a spreadsheet that compared costs for in state tuition at University of California campuses to out of state costs for name brand private colleges. I think it sunk in on junior because he is now targeting U.C.s.
    Mrs. Minervadoe, not so much. She still sounds like she'd be content to spend my retirement funds on some famous school that won't teach him any more than any other school. If I had any hair, it would be falling out about now.

9. VN350X10

VN350X10

State colleges can provide as good, if not better education than "Name Brand " schools. The only thing lacking is the ability to impress folks with where Jr. is going to school.
    Some of the best engineers I've ever met went to non-prestiege schools, probably learned more because of it. Only reason I went to I.I.T. was because it was dad's alma mater. But I'll admit, I REALLY wanted to go to Cal Tech !
    I know some HR folks that will look at a resume more carefully if it's from a non-"name" school, just to make sure they don't miss something !

uncle

10. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I always found the difference between name brand school vs public or state schools was the personalities that were formed when people believed they were attending an elite institution. It tended to make them less than cuddly. The knowledge and intelligence seemed to be similar, but people with the smartest guy in the room syndrome were more often from 'elite' institutions. They tended to be preachy, condescending, and creepy.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  11. VN350X10

VN350X10

You, my friend, are FAR kinder in your description than I am.....
    I don't call a spade a spade......it's a FREAKIN' SHOVEL once I get my Irish up :burn:
    One of my main dislikes is people that take themselves too seriously...:fred:..ain't NONE of us gonna get out of here alive..:angel:

12. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I'm only kind because this is in the Intrawebs.
    So, six rounds in the magazine of a G36 and it is hard to seat the magazine with the slide in battery. Right? It's a tight little bugger. My usual routine has been five rounds in the magazine into the gun with the slide locked back. But, when I practiced tactical reloads, a magazine with five rounds got put into the gun while the slide was in battery. It was tight. Six must be a mother.

13. VN350X10

VN350X10

Six is a PITA, even well broken in. That's why "Justin Case", my spare for the 29 carries 9 instead of 10. So 10 in first mag, plus 1 up spout, plus 9 in spare mag =20. Like I said, if I need more than that, it's time for A) Grab the 590-A1 and B) Get the hell outta Dodge !

Stuff the mags for the 36 full & let them sit, given a week or 2 they just might get a bit better. It's worth a try anyhow.

uncle

14. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I did a write-up of my compact and subcompact lineup.
    http://chronosscifi.com/compactGlockWGrid.html
    The groups I get out of my Glock 36 are pretty amazing. Seven yards.
    [​IMG] ............ Of course, I'm not complaining about the groups I get out of my Glock 29 either..
    [​IMG]

15. VN350X10

VN350X10

Given the accuracy, being a handful is almost pleasant. My 29 actually shoots as good as my 20 does, all the way out to 75'. Quite a comforting thought, given that it's my usual carry pistol.
    KNOWING how well it shoots gives me a warm & fuzzy :grouphug:

uncle

16. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

:rofl:
    Sometimes that warm and fuzzy feeling is because you waited to long to head to the bathroom.
    But, I know what you mean about the G29 (and G30 too); so much firepower and so little compromise. I really was curious about the G36 more than anything, so I added one to the family.

17. VN350X10

VN350X10

with the dieuretic my Dr. has me on to help control the BP, there is NO wait. Really glad that the new digs have 2 1/2 baths ! 1 at each end & the 1/2 off the garage. With only auntie & myself, NO WAITING!! :dancingbanana::dancingbanana::dancingbanana:

18. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Yeah, standing in line for a bathroom has probably caused many a backyard bush to get watered extemporaneously.

19. VN350X10

VN350X10

20. VN350X10

VN350X10

The beauty of country living …:homer:

ignore double-tap