GlockTalk Forum banner

27141 - 27160 of 27795 Posts

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
I knew they had been bought, and even earlier I think they changed (cheapened) the formulae, they no longer taste like I remember :( Damn Beancounters:fist:

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Yep, tried it once, worst 50 rds. I ever loaded !
Filthy dirty, inaccurate, smoky worse than anything,
Tried 5 more using magnum primers, still didn't help.
Case is too big, not efficient at all. Switched to Unique, better, but not that much, still very dirty.
Bullet was #429421, "Keith" SWC, hard blue lube.

B.E was 6.0 gr (had to look TWICE to make sure powder was in there!)
Unique was 8.4 gr (in volume, about twice the B.E. load)
This experiment made me switch to jacketed bullets & IMR4227 DuPont powder !
22.0-23.0 gr. & 200 gr. JHPT Hornady (no longer made :( :( )
Accuracy was fantastic, clean (used CCI Magnum primers) ran enough of them to wear out my 1st Ruger SBH :alex:
This was my "shooter " load, there were a lot of experiments in with those, but that was my normal load.

The loads would be much better in Spl. brass, due to a more reasonable case volume.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
no, the powder is still made, now it's "IMR-4227", but no longer made by DuPont. IMR powders was sold off, is now employee owned. Still the same powder thou ! :)
it's the 200 gr bullets from Hornady that have been changed. These were not "XTP's", but the predasessor(sp) to them. Worked real well too, expanded really nice.
XTP's don't seem to group as well in my SBH.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
IMR4227 is a full-up magnum powder. The old Rem. factory loads used a non-canister 4227 type powder in .44 magnum, and the "factory duplicate" load in the 45th Lyman manual called for 25.0 gr. under a 240gr. bullet. My "turkey loads" for shilouette were 25.5 with a 240 gr. and it's a highly compressed load. And it ROCKS ! I used H-110/296 for my 180 gr. "chicken" loads, but pigs, turkeys & rams were all dropped using IMR 4227.
The 180 gr. was for chickens, 200 gr. for pigs, 240 gr. for turkeys & 265 gr. for the rams.
As you know, a heavier bullet will tend to shoot higher, by combining this with sight adjustments, I had enough adjustment for all 4 ranges. I actually used the foot part of the chicken as my aiming point, holding at about the base of the foot, and by the time I got out to the rams (200 meters) I was holding 1 full ram high. Worked quite well actually ;)

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
296 (H-110) with a 180 JHC Sierra
7000/32.4 = 216

This is my "chicken" load for steel silhouette shooting.
YEP, it eats a LOT of powder ;)
from a 4" revolver (S&W 629) it gets about 1500 fps. By the time we get up to a 20" Browning (Winchester 92 copy) lever barrel, we're breaking 2200 fps.
7 1/2" Redhawk, 1900 fps
10" Contender, 2025 fps
14" Contender, 2100 fps

With the 4" , the muzzle flare/strobe effect is H U G E !!, about 6' long
With the 7 1/2, it's about 4'
With the 10" & 14", about 18"- 2 '
With the lever gun, it's 6" at most, so as flare goes down, fps climbs.
Funny what getting all the energy behind the bullet does :alex: !
The least fun to shoot is the 4".....RUDE is an understatement.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
I've shot another brand in .45-70, fun, they are not !
And this was back when I was pounding 500 rds. a week of MY .44 Mag ammo down range.
I've also shot 460 & 500 S&W mags, the 500 isn't too bad, but the 460 is BRUTAL.
Peak pressure is the culprit here. The 460 is nearing 60,000 psi, like a very high intensity RIFLE caliber (think Whb'y). The 500 is a very strong "push" but the 460 is a hard "JOLT."

I follow the teachings of the late Elmer Keith on this, if you need bigger than a "normal" .44 Mag, it's time for a rifle.....a BIG rifle !
As the arthritus gets worse in my hands, I find myself spending more quality time with my .22 rimfires, I'm really loving my S&W Model 41 & my 10" Pac-Lite Ruger 22/45.

·
Registered
19,081 Posts
I could never handle all that recoil to begin with. I do enjoy shooting my light loads through a heavy gun though.

the 460 is BRUTAL.
Peak pressure is the culprit here. The 460 S&W is nearing 60,000 psi, like a very high intensity RIFLE caliber (think Whb'y). The 500 is a very strong "push" but the 460 is a hard "JOLT."
It sounds like somebody should chamber a rifle in that cartridge.
It does sound like there are a few.
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=460+s&w+rifle&ia=web

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
just typed something here, and "lo:dunno:st" it. Not sure what happened.....
brain fart or something similar.
Things better in morning (I hope).

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
tired, bed now...………...

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Have not had them, KNOW they are VERY PAINFUL!
Any treatment being done ? Ultra-sonic tank ?
Or do you just have to suffer thru it ?

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
A friend has a problem with them, his Dr. told him to drink cranberry juice, or drink 1 beer a day.
Being Irish (last name Casey) you get to guess what he chose !

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
I think the idea is to keep the kidney's working & constantly flushing things out. If it was me, I'd probably up the Dr's. perscription to 6 beers a day...:drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:

Can't be too careful :dancingbanana:

27141 - 27160 of 27795 Posts