08:40 PM

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by wabash, Jan 10, 2001.

1. VN350X10

VN350X10

Sounds like you might be out of a revolver sooner than you've planned !
    Might be time to start playing seriously with a .22 LR for left-hand practice, to build hand strength.
    Question, what "eye-dominant" are you ? I'm right handed but left-eyed ! Makes for fun at times, what I did while shooting competition was in our bullseye league, I'd shoot 1 week RH, the next week LH, just for the practice for "weak-hand" stages. I got to the point that I was shooting about 285-290 steady, either hand. I was using a 1911 for both "any centerfire" and .45 parts of it, and a Ruger MK I for .22 RF. Have 2 grips for the Ruger, both by Volquartson, a RH & a LH full target grip. They fit my hands so well, after I first grip the pistol, I really don't have to forcefully hold it, just more or less point it. ;) Had to change them between weeks, as a RH target grip don't do worth SQUAT in your LH !:dunno:

MinervaDoe likes this.
  2. VN350X10

VN350X10

ADDED.....don't have an air-quality #, but we DO have a FROST WARNING for tonight !

3. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Most weeks, my left hand can out shoot the right. It was smoky out there, and I think it made my left eye a little extra blurry. It's doing fine now with the air purifiers going. :fred:
    http://chronosscifi.com/ruger357GridJS.html
    I've got an SP101-22. The problem is that .22 LR is about as rare as hen teeth around these parts.
    :faint:Did you have any summer like weather at all?
    Every five rounds, I switch hands. Right handed, I use the right eye. Left handed, I use the left eye. That way I get less of my head showing when I'm simulating using a wall for cover. Plus, I don't have to jerk my left hand into a clumsy position so I can get it over to my right eye.
    Here's a left handed seven yard attempt from last February. I'm still splitting most of my groups. I shoot Chapman stance right handed and standard isosceles left handed.
    [​IMG]

4. VN350X10

VN350X10

I like the idea of less head exposure around a wall, sound tactics !
    Right now, ANY kind of ammo is scarce here in the Midwest. Going rate for 9mm is about $40.00/box, had a gent from a shop closer in to Chi than we are stop in, said they only sell ammo with range time, and he's had folks come in, sign up for range, and buy ammo, and leave !
    They get $22.00/ hr range rental, and he's had customers tell him that it's the only way they have been able to find any ammo ! Or go out & shoot 1 mag, then leave:faint:

We do have ammo stashed in the back room, as it's really hard to sell a gun if you don't have ammo for it, funny, we've got 10 boxes of .45 GAP, and have had ZERO interest in it, and we'd love to get rid of it, it came in by error, we had ACP ordered, which the supplier did re-send, but they said KEEP the GAP, no demand.
    One of our regulars went to the military show in Waukesha WI, 5.56 mil in a 1000 rd. can was going for $2000.00 !
    THAT'S INSANE !
    I need to start reloading again, but at least I do have components in stock.
    Wish I could help you out on the .22's :( but no way to get them out to you.
    I'm well fixed for them also.

5. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

People who have never considered the possibility that their utopian reality could go sideways are trying to rapidly acquire a means to survive the unexpected. And, they are doing it during a shortage. There's a chapter in that book titled, "Dumb" and another one titled, "Naive." Which reminds me of Frank Zappa's, It Can't Happen Here.
    Geez, take out an ad. It'll be gone in two weeks. Maybe a big billboard ad on the road to the shooting range: Gilbert's Gun shop has 500 rounds of .45 GAP and will swap them for $cash$.
    No worries. I've got enough to keep me going for a while. It's not a big go to round for me. I mostly shoot it out of a bolt action rifle and that slows my consumption down considerably.

6. VN350X10

VN350X10

After the election there might be a glut of guns on the market, OR there might be even greater shortages than we're experiencing right now.
    I'm trying to get myself an AR pistol, but I want it in .350 Legend, and it looks like the only one who makes it is Ruger. That's not a bad thing, Ruger has been making AR lowers for about 40 YEARS (!) that I know of. But even with my high contacts at SR&Co. way back when, I couldn't find out where they were going. I do know that they went out the door "sterile" needing 2 holes, so they had no serial #'s or identifying marks since they were not "complete" and still needed "machining". And I found out this was per customer request, but never did find out who the customer was. :( FWIW... when Colt was selling their "cowboy" line of single-actions, it was noted in the owner's manual that the transfer bar safety mechanism was licensed from Pine Tree Foundry, and it was in print so small as to be almost not readable. Pine Tree is Ruger's investment casting plant up in New Hampshire. So my educated guess is they were selling lowers to Colt !
    Just like the Ruger 1911's are actually finished by Caspian, and they have been selling frames to them for at least 30 years !
    But I want one in Legend, just for the more favorable gas-expansion ratio, based on bore size. A 5.56/.223 caliber loses far too much velocity in a pistol length barrel (the first AR's had 20" tubes per Gene Stoner's design). And the problem with a .300 Blackout/Wisper et.al. is that if you happen to get one in a 5.56 rifle (it WILL chamber & fire) you have a MASSIVE KABOOOOOM !
    So by having it in .350 Legend, it WON'T CHAMBER in a smaller caliber. Need that just for the magazine safety factor. The .350 Legend is more or less a .357 Maximum, plus about 11%, except it's rimless, based on a .223 case. And the Max has always worked well in a Contender, 10" or 14". :) :dancing:

7. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

My CA compliant SR-556 came at a very competitive price. And, from what I've seen, it is a very decent quality piece. IMHO, that comes from mass manufacturing experience.
    We never get too old for cool new toys.

Again, it's nice to have a core competency. Do you think they'll do good stuff with Marlin?
    So, shimming it with electrician's tape won't save you.
    I'm surprised at the success of lengthening straight case handgun cartridges for rifles.

8. VN350X10

VN350X10

That's the thing, the Ruger AR pistol in Legend is under $1K MSRP !
    Most of them are running $1200 + up. A Springfield Saint is over $1600, and that's in 5.56 !
    If I could find a barrel, an 80% can be finished in any configuration you want, pistol or rifle with no problems. BUT.....no .350 barrels seem to be around, so I'll keep looking for a Ruger.
    Davidsons' lists them, but "out of stock at this time" :( so I put one on their wish list.
    Another thing, I can't find anybody BUT Ruger who lists one in .350 L.

9. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

10. VN350X10

VN350X10

Downside, we don't do much business w/Davidsons, so I don't know when or if I'll see one in a reasonable amount of time.
    Reason I want one, since it's a "pistol" I can carry it loaded in my car/truck legally in IL on my concealed carry permit ! :) :) :)

11. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

12. VN350X10

VN350X10

Hi Chute !
    Wonder where you been hiding !

uncle

13. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

No such luck here. :sadangel:
    I'll see your :banana: and raise you [​IMG].

14. ChuteTheMall

That's why I bought a Draco, when I lived in VA.
    I was even tempted when Rossi brought out that silly Mare's Leg - Ranch Hand.:animlol:
    Now I'm in FL where I con conceal and carry just about any weapon. :50cal:

:pepper::broccoli::elephant:

15. ChuteTheMall

Here in FL we have a brief cold spell where it hasn't hit the daily 90 in a week. :cold:

16. VN350X10

VN350X10

90.......I don't think we saw more than 4 days of 90 all summer :( but that's not that bad, I'm fat & I sweat a lot anyhow:homer:.
    When we get to winter, with the snowmobile suit on while plowing snow, I can actually hide the AR in a shoulder holster......I could almost hide MaDuece in the suit !

I'll just call :dancingbanana:

17. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

dancingbanana He's got the moves.
    :dancingbanana::dancingbanana::dancingbanana::dancingbanana:

18. VN350X10

VN350X10

Hire a Pro when needed.....

19. ChuteTheMall

20. ChuteTheMall