GlockTalk Forum banner

26921 - 26940 of 27345 Posts

·
Registered
10,583 Posts
They're called Condom-Minimums.....you get screwed, with minimum to no benefit.

Seems self-explanatory to me !:headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::dunno:

Reactions: engineer151515

·
Registered
10,583 Posts
An apartment YOU have to pay taxes on.....

We got rain:drowning:for the last 2 days, finally stopped & cleared about 9:00 last night. Went from solid rain to bright 3/4 moon in about 1/2 hr !
lawn needs mowing AGAIN when everything dries out, maybe tomorrow :(

·
Registered
10,583 Posts
Never thought about it like that ! At least the zero-turn is light enough it won't sink out of sight like the Kubota always wanted to !

·
Registered
18,700 Posts
You're at the whim of the rain gods as are we. Right now, with no rain in sight, we are awaiting the capricious verdict of the wind. It's stirring up and spreading new fires and blowing smoke to whom so ever it deems to be miserable. Yesterday, it was blowing the smoke away from us. Tomorrow, we might be breathing smoke from a fire two hundred miles away from us.
btw, I was able to set 1,000 rounds of these Hunters Supply Hard Cast Bullets 38 Caliber (357 Diameter) 158 Grain Lead Semi-Wadcutters on back order. Any anecdotes?

·
Registered
10,583 Posts
I saw in today's Chi Tribune that some of the large vinyards are really getting hit w/heavy smoke, to the point it's going to taint the grapes. Mental note avoid 2020 vintage!
Looks like we've got more:drowning:rain coming, and it was only 53*f about 1:00 PM today.

Never have used any of their bullets, but since you usually load mid-range, they will probably work perfectly. Normally you load around 750-800 in .38 Spl. & 1000 or so in .357 Mag, right ?

·
Registered
18,700 Posts
Normally you load around 750-800 in .38 Spl. & 1000 or so in .357 Mag, right ?
Yup. They say the bullets can be pushed to 1,600 fps, so I figure I'll get minimum leading at 1,100 fps.
I fired some old lead SWCs through my Redhawk .44 last week. I used a .44 Special powder load in .44 Magnum brass (850 fps). I finally figured out a way to get rid of that pound of HS6 I've had laying around.

·
Registered
10,583 Posts
That had to be BORINGLY accurate. And easy to see holes too......not a bad thing really. And still well in excess of .45 ACP ball energy. Big & slow really isn't bad, easy on equipment & shooter too. HS-6 isn't really that dirty either, is it ?

Yeah, if they're good for 1600, they should run real clean too.

·
Registered
18,700 Posts
That had to be BORINGLY accurate.
I wasn't bored, but it was accurate.
easy to see holes too.
That's another advantage of shooting at seven yards. I'm shooting at a batch of 50 yard small bore targets right now. Five four inch circles on the paper. It's nice to be able to see the hits as you shoot them.
Big & slow really isn't bad, easy on equipment & shooter too.
Works for me.
HS-6 isn't really that dirty either, is it ?
The gun cleaned up very quickly.
Yeah, if they're good for 1600, they should run real clean too.
That's what I figured (6% antimony, 2% tin and 92% lead with a Brinell hardness of 15).

·
Registered
10,583 Posts
15 Brinell is about perfect for "shooter" ammo. A lot of people can't figure out why they get leading with hard bullets. It's because of gas blow-by since the bullet is too hard to upset properly & fill the grooves. One brand used to proclaim they were a "Silver Bullet" and bragged about their hardness,(they claimed 1-2 % silver in their alloy) somewhere around 19 or 20 ! And they leaded like crazy if not loaded to max magnum levels, because of the gas cutting. And once you got them over 1500 fps, they leaded ANYWAY, rather poor bullets really, and a lot of folks got turned off of cast bullets because of them. FWIW....muzzle-loading rifles use PURE LEAD which is quite soft, but rarely do they lead a barrel. (I'm talking about Minnie' type bullets, no patch involved.) It's all in the gas seal & bore fit.
I don't load anything but 200 gr. SWC in my .45 ACP's, usually out of an H&G #68 mold. Works for everything I need a .45 auto to do.

·
Registered
18,700 Posts
15 Brinell is about perfect for "shooter" ammo.
That's a relief. I'm getting a thousand of them. I'm now set to run out of primers before I run out of bullets.
I don't load anything but 200 gr. SWC in my .45 ACP's, usually out of an H&G #68 mold.
I forget if you've told me, but where do you get your .... ingots.

·
Registered
10,583 Posts
I don't cast ! What I DO have, is a large, large supply of lead, scrounged over the years & located by good luck & better timing. I also have several friends who do cast, and I usually swap lead for completed bullets. One of my sources works for a series of "yuppie" car dealers, and he gets me all of the wheel weights. They were PAYING to dispose of them until I stumbled across that one:faint:and told him I'd be glad to have them. A lot are now zinc instead of lead, but that's even no problem, as one of my cousins is an avid fisherman, and also retired. I give him the buckets of wheel weights, he sorts them out & keeps the zinc for fishing sinkers, and HE's happy to get his weights for free (he only casts fishing sinkers). Like he says, fish don't know from lead or zinc, they barely know worms from liver !
Exotic cast wheels use lead tape for balance weights, so it's not all "new" weights. We can thank YOUR governor (not sure which one) for the loss of lead weights on car wheels. :( That's one of the enviro laws that started out there.
I also just gave away about 12 lbs. of pure tin(!) to another friend who casts. So I have cast bullets without the nasty work ;)
Some of our machinery we built at G.K.C. used lead weights in adjustable force wheels after we quit using mercury due to the E.P.A. and now, the lead is being phased out also, and I get that as another perk. I'm listed as their "lead disposal/recycling service" so when weights come in for repair or rebuild of the force wheels, the new ones use steel weights & I get the lead.
So I'll probably have lead coming my way for at least another 15 years or so.
Interesting note: The largest slugs from a set of wheels looked like a DEWC for an 8" Naval Gun.
13" long, 8" diameter, and there were 12 of those. I forget what they weighed, but it was a real "grunt" getting them out of the S-10 Pickup ! Into the truck was easy......but I don't have a forklift truck at home:dunno:

·
Registered
18,700 Posts
I also have several friends who do cast, and I usually swap lead for completed bullets.
What a chain of events....
One of my sources works for a series of "yuppie" car dealers, and he gets me all of the wheel weights. They were PAYING to dispose of them until I stumbled across that one:faint:and told him I'd be glad to have them.
It sort of reminds me of Tom Sawyer.
one of my cousins is an avid fisherman, and also retired. I give him the buckets of wheel weights, he sorts them out & keeps the zinc for fishing sinkers,
and the freebies just keep on coming.
I also just gave away about 12 lbs. of pure tin(!) to another friend who casts. So I have cast bullets without the nasty work
:bowdown:
the lead is being phased out also, and I get that as another perk. I'm listed as their "lead disposal/recycling service" so when weights come in for repair or rebuild of the force wheels, the new ones use steel weights & I get the lead.
That there's just funny.

·
Registered
10,583 Posts
I helped do some of the R&D on the lead slug wheels that replaced the mercury type, and when those were scrapped out, the aluminum castings were sold to a recycler (by me) and that $$$$ financed my 1st trip to shoot p'dogs in S.D. I was the middleman in that deal by default, right place, right time.
P.E.T.A. just HAS to hate me....

·
Registered
10,583 Posts
PETA hates those of us that eat tasty animals. LIKE I CARE.....

Reloaders & Hot Rodders are recyclers by necessity. ;)

·
Registered
10,583 Posts
Accused of that, guilty I am ! A pack-rat also. But there have been times when questioned "Do you know where I can get an XYZABC widget ?"
I go into my stash of accumulated things that dates back to probably 1960 or so, and pull one out and ask "Do you need more than 1 ?" "I've got 6 of them".
Getting down to the bottom of some of the storage, so I can pull something out of my nether regions less & less here lately, but all of it is not gone yet ;)

26921 - 26940 of 27345 Posts