08:40 PM

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by wabash, Jan 10, 2001.

1. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

That's a lot of moving parts and it's better when they stay together.
    I'm surprised that fans don't catch fragments in their teeth.

2. VN350X10

VN350X10

Here in the Midwest, crowd control is a big thing at pulls. Some of the fairgrounds set the stands about 150' away, just for that reason. Not far enough if something REALLY blows, but better than a lot of other places, where the fans are within 20' of the pulling lane !
    Then also, a lot depends on the physical lay-out of the venue.

3. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

It's all well and good until someone loses an eye.
    What's the 'compression' on one of those things at peak boost? :alex:

4. VN350X10

VN350X10

Not exactly sure, but with a nominal C/R of 18:1 (at ambiant pressure) And then factor in a manifold pressure of about Positive 50 to 75 lbs, Cylinder pressures have to be in the :faint: range ! My guess would be well over 1500 psi ! Most street turbo's run 8-12 PSI of boost.(stock, OEM)

FWIW.....usually when a AA/Fuel dragster has an explosion, it's due to a no-spark condition, and it explodes from hydraulic lock. The fuel is much happier burning than being squeezed.

5. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Since California is going to make selling new vehicles that run on petroleum illegal in 2034, any tractor pulls done here will have to use electric vehicles. That way, there can't be any explosive failures, unless the batteries catch on fire or the electric motors spin off some parts.

6. VN350X10

VN350X10

I don't think that will apply to anything but autos & light trucks.(passenger cars)
    Construction & Ag equipment aren't even a consideration for electric power.
    If your state Gov't. is THAT looney, migration should be in the cards:outtahere::outtahere:

key here: NEW vehicles

7. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

People are leaving the state in droves. Hopefully, it's the liberals that are fleeing.
    My realtor drove her Tesla to southern California. She had to do an overnight at a hotel to charge her car when she was only halfway there. :dunno:

8. VN350X10

VN350X10

Doesn't Tesla have a lot of "Rapid Charge" stations located in Kali ?
    I know that up in Marshall MI,(inlaws live up there) there's a Rapid Charge station with room for 8 cars.
    Marshall is a "speedbump" on I-94, almost exactly 1/2 way between Chi & Detroit, which is probably the reason it's located there.

9. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I don't think she had much trouble getting the car charged. She said she just wanted to take her time and enjoy getting a room in a fancy motel. It was probably tax deductible.
    While I was waiting for the range to open this morning I went and parked at a local park. It's pretty woodsy up in this area and they had two car chargers up there. :headscratch:

10. VN350X10

VN350X10

Our local hospital has about 20 car chargers, in a dedicated lot. But I think we have more Dr's. that drive Porsche's than Teslas ! :frown:(no, I wouldn't WATT an electric Porsche !):frown:

FWIW: New rules for the 24 Hrs. of LeMons, electric's permitted, without the $500.00 cost limit.
    The idea is to see who can come up with a SAFE quick-change battery system. It don't count if somebody gets fried.
    One of the people behind the idea owns a shop that does electric conversions on just about anything. They've done Ferraris(sacralige!) Porsches(ditto) Humvee's, Aston-Martins(who cares) and all other sort of creations. I think a V-W bus might be cool, and probably faster than stock.

11. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I looked at the Chevrolet site to view that cute little electric car they showed on the commercial.
    Was it the $13,400 Spark? No, that runs on gas. :freak:
    It's the $37,000 Bolt EV.
    I guess if California is going to save the world by mandating electric cars, it's going to be because only rich people can afford cars. Wait until the illegal disposal of batteries catches up with them. :exercise:

12. VN350X10

VN350X10

The battery disposal will be a whole different problem, and will be happening sooner than most realize.
    That's one of the reasons that the 1st Gen. GM electric cars were only leased, never sold so GM had complete control of everything, and couldn't be sued if something was dumped illegally.
    Another problem, the more exotic the batteries get for more miles per charge, the more intense the disposal will become.
    I'm a real believer in Hydrogen Fuel Cells that run on water, but the power output isn't where it needs to be for market use......yet.

MinervaDoe likes this.
  13. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Hydrogen fuel cells running on nuclear generated electricity?

14. VN350X10

VN350X10

Disposal of fuel rods from power generating stations might just be easier than recycling the electric car batteries !

I'm thinking fuel cells that break down water into hydrogen & oxygen, at least I think they're referred to as fuel cells, and the car runs on hydrogen as it's fuel. CO2 & water are the result of combustion. And oxygen is released from the breakdown of water.

MinervaDoe likes this.
  15. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Say what? I have spent a hour sorting thru a pile of 16’ 2x6-8 for 20 good ones. Where lumber yard I maybe reject 2 instead of 70.

16. VN350X10

VN350X10

Sorry 'bout dat ! My local one usually has decent lumber :dunno:

uncle albert

17. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

If the hydrogen was created at a huge processing plant, they could capture the oxygen and sell it. Can you think of any uses for it? Dragster powered by liquid oxygen?.

18. VN350X10

VN350X10

LoX is somewhere around -236*f if I remember correctly, so you need a lot of energy to cool it that far, or a lot of compression to hold it there.
    But I think the electrolytic system is how they generate oxygen for industry. Welding tanks are only about 2200PSI so no where near liquid.

19. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

• Are the hydrogen and oxygen separated at a factory or are you envisioning a car being able to do this?
    • Would the oxygen be captured or released into the atmosphere?
    • Could the methane released at a burrito fest be captured and harnessed in a meaningful manner?
    • Is 42 really the answer to the ultimate question of the universe?

20. VN350X10

VN350X10

The ones I'm thinking about are in the car, usually the trunk area. The oxy can be released, like an "anti pollution".
    WHERE are you going to find a person, or even an Intern, brave, or DUMB enough to attempt that stunt ?:headscratch::headscratch::headscratch:? And think of the Haz-Mat fine potential.....

No, the answer is actually 29.6984 times the square root of 2. (but it's not well publicized).