GlockTalk Forum banner

26801 - 26820 of 27812 Posts

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
That "E"-Type is too gnu !
Exposed headlights & the large fender seam tells me it's a 4.2 L.
Covered headlights & a smooth bonnet is a 3.8 L. which is much more desirable.
The newer ones wern't any better in the wet, so you nay as well have a cool one....:dunno:

And 3.8's tended to be faster, they were a true 150+ mph car. 4.2's usually topped out about 135-140.....smog crap :(

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
Even the 4.2's had S.U. carbs (simply useless) British carbs are almost as hopeless as Brit electrics !
If I remember, Jaguar didn't go to fuel injection until the V-12 cars, which were terribly nose heavy. They were still an "E" Type, the XK designation was for the DOHC 6 cyl. engines.
(The road-legal "D" types were the very scarce [16 cars total] XK-SS.) They were to use up the no longer competitive D race cars, that's when the Coventry factory burned down, hence the scarcity of XK-SS's. trivia: Steve McQueen lost his Cali. drivers license TWICE with his XK-SS ! It's McQueen's old car that was driven on a segment of Jay Leno's Garage.

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
Well, McQueen WAS the King of Kool !

·
Registered
19,098 Posts
He was that. Hey, that gives me an idea of what to do while the Mrs. is riding the exercise bike. I haven't watched the watched the motorcycle scene from The Great Escape in a while.

I never could figure out how many rounds Josh Randall's gun could possibly hold, in Wanted Dead or Alive.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051327/

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
Interesting firearm, that.....the producers of the show got in deep doo-doo with BATF over it, they made a SBR without paperwork.:alex:Even thou it was using theatrical "5 in 1" blanks, somebody saw it & the ball got rolling fast..........
But they got the paperwork straightened out.
Being a Model 92 Winchester shortened that much, "Mare's Laig" (as it was named) held 5 rounds total, 1 up the spout & 4 in the mag tube. .44-40 caliber. Advantage over a revolver, a longer barrel & no cylinder gap. Psych advantage, H U G E !!

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
Never actually saw either of them HIT anything. :headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::dunno:
trivia: The large-loop lever was actually invented by/for John Wayne. It was the only way he could function a lever action rifle, because of the size of his hands !

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
Yeah, in the intro, you never get a hint of what he might be shooting at..:dunno:
:elephant::holysheep::horse::moo::eek:die::eek:uttahere:

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
You do realize that "Hec Ramsey" was an extension of "Have Gun, Will Travel" right ?
Same character, later in life. Gone legit if you will, no longer a "contractor".
I met Prof. Richard Boone in St.Augustine FL, he was a professor of Fine Arts at Flagler College.
During a Q & A session on behalf of the school, I had to ask. He was often seen walking around the town, and on many occasions, he would give tours to out of town people.
Fine gentleman ! Still have one of his cards with the chess piece on it, signed.
It sits in the safety deposit box with part of the coin collection.

Reactions: engineer151515

·
Registered
19,098 Posts
You do realize that "Hec Ramsey" was an extension of "Have Gun, Will Travel" right ?
I have to profess complete ignorance on all counts. Had to look that one up:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hec_Ramsey
It looks like there are some episodes on youtube
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EER3YdFlMCE

I met Prof. Richard Boone in St.Augustine FL, he was a professor of Fine Arts at Flagler College.
During a Q & A session on behalf of the school,
It's always nice to meet someone with a broad perspective on life.
Fine gentleman ! Still have one of his cards with the chess piece on it, signed. It sits in the safety deposit box with part of the coin collection.
Awesome collectable.

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
Just another tidbit from my backround. I would have never been in St.Augustine, except that's where Dad & Mom retired to. Oldest Tourist Trap in the New World !:fred::fred::fred::fred::fred:
Even new buildings in the Downtown District must be built to resemble 16th Century Spanish Style. The city council has about 5 architects on retainer to make sure you are period correct !
One glaring error, the horse-drawn carriage rides all have battery operated lights !

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
I'll bet a quick 10 Bucks that they have better air quality than you do right now !
Might be a healthy get-away.
Get a Dr. to write 'script for it & deduct the trip on taxes ?:headscratch::headscratch::headscratch:?

·
Registered
19,098 Posts
I got a doctor to write me a note that I had the flu. My employer required it, so I drove from Livermore (where I lived) to my doctor's office in Palo Alto. Mind you, I was so sick I could barely drive. He used a prescription pad to say, "Influenza until 9/24." My lead was pissed that it was not a formal written statement. I've had several real wankers for bosses.

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
Since it was written on a 'script pad, was it even:animlol:readable ?:animlol:
(how much more formal did he expect,a stone tablet?)

I had a few:impatient:bosses like that! This:nutcheck:usually cured them. A couple of times, it came in the form of a talking to by the owner. One was even informed that if he didn't like what I did & how I was doing it, HE could leave !
My usual was a very early call in, if I woke up that sick, I called ASAP. Give them a good start on the day if you will. I actually had very good attendance, was about the only thing I was ever recognized for in school, in H.S. I missed 3 days in 4 years, including Senior Ditch Day !
I did miss a couple of days deer hunting, I was out of vacation days, so I told HR that I had a "personal matter" to resolve & I would be un-avoidably out of town. HR manager said he understood, and would appreciate a venison roast when I got back ! Like Abe said, can't fool all of them ALL of the time ;)

26801 - 26820 of 27812 Posts