GlockTalk Forum banner

26601 - 26620 of 27811 Posts

·
Registered
10,825 Posts
Extra oxygen is nice, and do you really WANT to train at high altitude ? No sense in making a pleasant enjoyment harder work! It's not like you're training for "Le Tour de Farce" or something!
I keep thinking about a recumbent trike for riding around in the neighborhood. They just made it legal for "golf carts" on most of the village roads, and a lot of the roads are dead ends w/ cull the sacks for turn-around areas. I just hang a SMV warning triangle on the Gator & call it "farm equipment". But I really haven't had need for the mountain bike in several years, and something a bit more stable has crossed my mind. None of my old riding companions ride any more, so solo on as single-track just don't appeal to me. Crash & hurt myself ain't in the cards any more:alex:

·
Registered
10,825 Posts
Mine's still set up for "off-road", and the knobbies really sing on pavement. A bit off-key, I might add.

·
Registered
19,098 Posts
When I lived in Palo Alto, I could ride two miles and be in the hills. Now, I pretty much have to drive if I want to get anywhere scenic to bike or hike. I can ride 3.5 miles to a bike trail, but with all the knuckleheads walking in large groups, I'm not crazy about doing that right now. So, I ride around the neighborhood. Once around it is about six miles. Meh.

·
Registered
10,825 Posts
Our dead-end road is a mile long, and we're about in the middle of it, so if I do a "lap", it's an honest mile.
Your problem is the same as mine, after a while, the scenery gets boring....

·
Registered
19,098 Posts
When I lived in Livermore, you could ride straight out in any direction and just turn around and cover a ton of miles. The problem was that people fly on those country roads. I'd rather have a bike path, but that's not an option on those country roads. Plus, it was hotter out there.
Around here, there's plenty of roads. But, not that many that I feel safe on. On one of the nearest ones, the city painted bicycle symbols on the slow lane as if that makes it a combination bike lane and slow lane for the cars. More like a suicide lane.

·
Registered
10,825 Posts
And it's even worse with more electric vehicles now, ya can't hear 'em coming !
One of the "yuppified" suburbs near Chi has a solution, they have a 6' wide grassy median between the car lane & the bike lane, so that helps quite a bit. Unfortunately, they're the only one so far to do that. Takes tax money, and bikes don't pay motor-fuel taxes, so drivers scream and things get ugly. The Chicago Way !

·
Registered
19,098 Posts
I've got a nice separated bike trail that's 3.5 miles from my home. The bike route going there is wide and safe too. The problem is once you get to the bike trail. Since the partial shutdown is in place, there are way more people out exercising during the day when I ride. Amoebas of people that I don't enjoy riding through. But, today is just plain smokey out, so it's gerbil on a treadmill time. It's the exercise bike for me.

·
Registered
10,825 Posts
I had a beautiful day, but didn't accomplish anything outside :( The electrician was back, and we did get the garage wiring done, (at least until we enlarge it). Even got a 30A. circuit installed for the kids camper, and to test, we had the camper down to 65*f. this afternoon, with an ambient of 85*f outside !
For test, it pulls 14.8 A. with fridge, A/C & interior lights on, and that was going thru a 50' extension added to the camper's own power-in cord.
I think we've got it !

·
Registered
10,825 Posts
Bummer !
You just gotta get away from those fires ! Don't need THAT kind of warmth !

·
Registered
10,825 Posts
Berms don't move easy without heavy equipment !
Even then they don't move fast.

Hang in there !

·
Registered
10,825 Posts
Be glad you don't have asthma.....
"Death, by Breathing"!

·
Registered
19,098 Posts
The wind shifted to blowing from the SouthWest. That's driven by tropical moisture that's moving this way. It's expected to bring thunder storms and dry lightning Sunday night. The wind direction wil then become variable which is likely to accelerate the fire's acreage very quickly; I'm thinking exponentially.
Be glad you don't have asthma.....
That should be the slogan that defines 2020, eh?

·
Registered
10,825 Posts
It might be before this is all over !

Are you prepared if you & family have to evac ? And the question is To Where ?:dunno:

·
Registered
19,098 Posts
I'm pretty sure the cities are safe. It's all the people who built in the hills, among the scrub oak and grasslands who are in danger here. I read in one town down Highway 9, that a lot of the people who evacuated left their sprinklers on (hoping it would save their homes). The result? When the firefighters got there, all the wells and cisterns had been pumped dry. Californians, what can you do? :brickwall:

·
Registered
10,825 Posts
You guys REALLY need some of our conditions. Was talking to one of our regulars who's a farmer.
Told us that out of his normal, cultivated 140 Ac. he could only plant 33 this year, the rest is too wet to get equipment into. Will be collecting on some kind of ins. this year, as his agent informed him he was eligible because of the total rainfall. In Lake Co. (seems aptly named right now!) which is where his farm is located there was 20" of rain......... In MAY !:drowning::drowning::drowning::drowning::drowning:
He's been working on his combine, and I asked him if he was adding pontoons to it:alex:!

Maybe a house with a MOAT might be what you need ? :dunno:

26601 - 26620 of 27811 Posts