GlockTalk Forum banner

26581 - 26600 of 27892 Posts

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Ugh. I rode the exercise bike for one hour and fifteen minutes.

35,000 acres burning in Santa Clara Lightning Complex with 4% containment
:alex:
More than 22,000 people have been ordered to evacuate in and around the Santa Cruz Mountains.
I didn't book a reservation at my local range this week. I'll check their online messages before I book for next week.
Ash is speckling my keyboard as I type this. Yes, I am outside. Soon to go back inside.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Conditions the same, except temp is now 82*f.
Been out in the garage, more work on the deck, looking for hidden stress cracks, as it's going to be painted J-D Yellow per OEM when I finish it, and yellow shows cracks better than any other color, even white !
Right now, I'm trying to find a small sand-blaster to borrow, somebody I know has to have one, but if not, I'll go & buy one to do this job. Lots of areas on the deck can't be gotten to with a wire brush or sanding disc, and it really needs to be cleaned because there's a lot of surface rust. But then, it is 36 years or so old & lawn equipment don't get maintained/washed nearly as much as it needs.
I bought a special extension wand for my hose years ago, just to wash the underside of the decks. Grass clippings are terribly corrosive, and even more so if folks use fertilizer on the lawn.
Snow removal equipment, same thing, wash when done because of salt build up. (I know, "what's road salt ?")

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Right now, I'm trying to find a small sand-blaster to borrow, somebody I know has to have one, but if not, I'll go & buy one to do this job.
On my first real job, we were cleaning up a NiCad factory after a fire for $1.85 an hour. To clean up the clean room glove boxes, we bought a cheap Sears sand blaster. We had to improvise our own safety equipment. We looked like the sand people in starwars with sheets over our heads tucked into our goggles and gloves rubber banded over our shirt sleeves. After half a day, the nozzle had been mostly eaten away.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Yeah, blasting gets a bit messy. A Tyvek suit is a nice touch, and a pressurized helmet like a line painter wears is heaven. Positive 1 or 2 psi keeps out most everything.
This will be done old-school, but my full face welding mask will keep the crap out of my lungs.
And a ceramic nozzle lives a LOT longer.
One of the guys has a blaster, so as soon as he gets home from GA, I'll be in business ;)

$1.85/ hr..:headscratch:...was this back in 1968 ? And a NiCad clean up now qualifies as :alex:Haz-Mat:alex:

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
You did your lungs no favors either !
McDonalds would at least have been healthier....

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Just another fun day ? Sometimes, self-combustion can be interesting:burn:as long as it's not YOU doing the combusting !
No sweeping it under the rug thou.....
Located a blaster, got media, and have the rest of the deck dismantled and ready to work on, so tomorrow might be a day of accomplishment. Or lawn mowing, depends on what the back yard looks like in the morning. Hopefully, no rain:brickwall:eek:r things will go downhill fast !

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
You've made progress. Possible outside bike ride tomorrow for you ?
We're supposed to have the same kind of a day we had today. Hope so, nice to not roast in 90* w/ 75% humidity !

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
We've had a few humid ones recently, and they cause me to leave the garage & head for the A/C in the house (mental note....next garage gets central air !)
So today was real nice, even got things done outside, with the possibility of more tomorrow ! ;)

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
How many acres are on fire this time ? And how many separate fires are there at this time ?

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
California has been hit by nearly 11,000 lightning strikes that have caused more than 367 known fires across the state in recent days, 26 of which are major.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/projects/california-fire-map/
CZU Lightning Complex fire is probably the closest one to me and it's 40,000 acres. Scotts Valley is about a forty minute drive. But, one report I saw said Mount Hamilton road is closed as well as other roads on the southern outskirts of San Jose (about twenty miles away).
Meanwhile, across the bay and a couple of hours away ....
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/20/california-fires-heatwave-and-coronavirus-puts-state-in-crisis.html
The LNU Lightning Complex Fire, a group of fires that have affected Napa, Sonoma, Lake, Yolo and Solano counties, had burned more than 124,000 acres and was 0% contained as of Thursday morning.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Boy, you're just having a GREAT time, ain't you ?

You SURE you don't want to enjoy some -15*f weather in the Midwest ? Not to mention dirt that you can plant things in without resorting to a jack-hammer ?

I was out earlier with the "Weed-Eater-from-HELL" and trimmed around the entire front yard, so this afternoon it's Zero-Turn time ! But it's hot this morning, got to the point I STOPPED sweating & called it QUITZ before I dropped:faint:and came in to grab water & lunch.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
So the canary:help:didn't fall over dead yet, huh ?
Then there's hope for a bike ride ;)

As a side thought, scuba gear might be a nice addition to the bike stuff :mememe:

26581 - 26600 of 27892 Posts