08:40 PM

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by wabash, Jan 10, 2001.

1. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I am skeptical that the real Lone Ranger (Bas Reeves) ever had pizza. If for no other reason, it sounds like he may have been too busy.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_Reeves
    [​IMG]

2. VN350X10

VN350X10

Methinks you must have never seen the commercials...
    busy.../and an HONEST COP !

3. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Are you saying that there was a Bas Reeves character in a pizza commercial?
    Was it Chicago deep dish style? If so, I'm skeptical.

4. VN350X10

VN350X10

Actually, it was Clayton Moore & Jay Silverheels, and it was a Jeno's Pizza Roll commercial !

"Have a piz, have a piz, have a pizza roll" to the tune of The William Tell Overature. It also poked fun at "Lark" cigarettes, who used the same music ;) in their commercials.

5. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Remember the George Carlin routine where he made fun of the ad phrase, "Show us your Lark."

6. VN350X10

VN350X10

7. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Kind of a classic if you ask me. I liked the way Tonto grabbed a handful.

8. VN350X10

VN350X10

Yeah, they were almost edible ! And when I was a (lot) younger I actually thought they were really good ;)
    (to this day, I don't like deep-dish pizza)

9. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Do you mean you thought they were good in that same convenient way that having a Dominoes pizza delivered when your too buzzed to go out and get something better?

10. VN350X10

VN350X10

No, I thought they were good because I didn't KNOW any better. Back when the ads were on, we were so far out in the "sticks" that there were no Dominos, Little Caesers, Pizza Hut, etc. within 20 or so miles from us, we only had local joints & none of them delivered !
    After I got into college I found out what REAL good pizza tasted like. A revelation for my taste buds, no more frozen garbage. We had 3 or 4 joints in the town where school was that had EXCELLENT, made with all fresh ingredients pizza. Now frozen is kept in the freezer in case the grandkids get hungry if /when we baby-sit !

11. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

My own revelations of awesome pizza occurred at a much younger age due to having many more options than you country folk.
    Right now, the sky outside is smoky and the sun filtering through gives the light the appearance of being filtered through a piece of amber. Plus, it just plain stinks. I guess I'm on the exercise bike again today. :mad:

12. VN350X10

VN350X10

Currently, very bright sun, totally cloudless, 74*f & 2 mph breeze.
    You should be HERE to ride your bike ! It would also give me reason to pull mine out & ride. ;)

13. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Ugh. I rode the exercise bike for one hour and fifteen minutes.

:alex:
    I didn't book a reservation at my local range this week. I'll check their online messages before I book for next week.
    Ash is speckling my keyboard as I type this. Yes, I am outside. Soon to go back inside.

14. VN350X10

VN350X10

Conditions the same, except temp is now 82*f.
    Been out in the garage, more work on the deck, looking for hidden stress cracks, as it's going to be painted J-D Yellow per OEM when I finish it, and yellow shows cracks better than any other color, even white !
    Right now, I'm trying to find a small sand-blaster to borrow, somebody I know has to have one, but if not, I'll go & buy one to do this job. Lots of areas on the deck can't be gotten to with a wire brush or sanding disc, and it really needs to be cleaned because there's a lot of surface rust. But then, it is 36 years or so old & lawn equipment don't get maintained/washed nearly as much as it needs.
    I bought a special extension wand for my hose years ago, just to wash the underside of the decks. Grass clippings are terribly corrosive, and even more so if folks use fertilizer on the lawn.
    Snow removal equipment, same thing, wash when done because of salt build up. (I know, "what's road salt ?")

15. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

On my first real job, we were cleaning up a NiCad factory after a fire for $1.85 an hour. To clean up the clean room glove boxes, we bought a cheap Sears sand blaster. We had to improvise our own safety equipment. We looked like the sand people in starwars with sheets over our heads tucked into our goggles and gloves rubber banded over our shirt sleeves. After half a day, the nozzle had been mostly eaten away.

16. VN350X10

VN350X10

Yeah, blasting gets a bit messy. A Tyvek suit is a nice touch, and a pressurized helmet like a line painter wears is heaven. Positive 1 or 2 psi keeps out most everything.
    This will be done old-school, but my full face welding mask will keep the crap out of my lungs.
    And a ceramic nozzle lives a LOT longer.
    One of the guys has a blaster, so as soon as he gets home from GA, I'll be in business ;)

$1.85/ hr..:headscratch:...was this back in 1968 ? And a NiCad clean up now qualifies as :alex:Haz-Mat:alex:

17. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

It was in 1974 and if I'd spent the summer riding my bike and running trails I would have been in great shape. Instead, I got suckered into a crappy job.

18. VN350X10

VN350X10

You did your lungs no favors either !
    McDonalds would at least have been healthier....

19. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

We'd sweep stuff into a pile and it would sometimes burst into flames.

20. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer