08:40 PM

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by wabash, Jan 10, 2001.

1. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

2. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Kneeling leads to fans vacating the stands.
    I am done with professional sports.
    I am going to move a fan aloe tree tomorrow. Digging in adobe is so much fun.

3. VN350X10

VN350X10

Kneeling isn't that hard, it's the getting BACK UP that's the trick.

And it's a known fact, real men play hockey...(don't get me started...)

as far as that aloe tree, a jackhammer might help.

4. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I soaked the ground under the aloe today. I'm not looking forward to digging it out.

5. VN350X10

VN350X10

Perhaps a few more days soaking ? A shaped charge might help....

A friend came over today, we got going on the lights in the working garage. What a CLFU !
    Missing grounds, random wires, all kind of crazy stuff, but when we quit tonight, the new LED's were shining brightly, the florescents were almost cooperating (need another ballast) the switches were doing what they are supposed to do, and when, and we didn't start anything on fire ! I made marinated pork chops on a hickory fire, threw a couple of brats on, just because, Auntie made a great salad, had home-made parmisian & herb bread (from daughter) and relaxed. Just got out of shower about 15 min. ago, hot water loosenes up the back a bit, and the 4 Advil are working, so I should be fine. Long day thou :faint:

6. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I finally just abandoned the fluorescent lights in my garage and simply hung three leds next to them. What an improvement. And I don't need to get up on a ladder every three months to wiggle or replace a bulb.
    Yup. The ground is sucking up water like a sponge.
    I was considering shooting the ground with my Glock 29, but it's too close to the foundation.

7. VN350X10

VN350X10

Wrong direction anyhow. You need to be under the plant to get it OUT of the ground !

Besides, the seismic forces from the shot might scare folks in San Fran, or living near San Andreas !

8. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I sort of figured that if it could damage the foundation, it could hurt the plant too. The San Andreas is a few miles away, but it is way overdue for a big one. I'd hate to be responsible for getting it going. I'd be like Mrs. O'Leary or Typhoid Mary.

9. VN350X10

VN350X10

Mrs. O'Leary's cow was framed. It was the hobos playing cards in her barn that knocked over the lantern. The cow (who survived the fire) was an innocent spectator, and one of the hobos led her out of the barn.:cow:
    Typhoid Mary however, WAS the culprit, she just didn't realize it at the time.:faint:
    How about a set charge, and you, Mrs. & junior are on a desert ride when it goes off ?:headscratch:

10. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

The San Andreas fault runs through the headlands of Stevens Creek. The creek and the fault make a fine little valley through the foothills. There are several great hiking trails there. They're especially nice since nobody wants to build on them. In "State of Fear" Michael Crichton writes about a giant earthquake machine that sounds quite a bit like what your old company makes.

11. VN350X10

VN350X10

Easily possible to do..... Natural frequencies are funny things.
    We once had a machine up in WI that had an elderly lady convinced that her house was haunted. Log story short, the machine was over 10 miles away from the house, but due to soil conditions, the energy traveled quite a ways. And her house just happened to resonate at the frequency it was running at. Addition of 1 spring changed it & her house was no longer "haunted". Except for an overheard conversation at a local greasy spoon by a resident who worked where the machine was located, she would still be "haunted".

12. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Hmmm, and they built an 86 acre percolation reservoir right on top of the fault. Stevens Creek reservoir apparently is built on the type of sediment which allows the water to seep into the ground. Good idea? Time will tell.

13. VN350X10

VN350X10

If water can seep thru it, it should act as a cushion for seismic activity. The more dense the substrate, the more violent the activity will transmit. Underlying bedrock is the worst, it transmits EVERYTHING !

14. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

And the earthen dam also built on the fault?

15. VN350X10

VN350X10

If the fault shifts, the dam has no support.....:faint:

Poor planning on somebody's part.....
    Was some politician's brother-in-law in on the bidding ?:dunno:

16. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

They built in 1934. So, the culpability belongs to a previous generation. The reservoir has been dry at least once during my lifetime, so I'm figuring the risk is lower than I made it sound. Plus, it's a lot of dirt for ten feet of water. I imagine it could shift with little effect. Next week I'm going to the Three Gorges dam to give it a clean bill of health.

17. VN350X10

VN350X10

Well, here in the Midwest, we hope that the New Madrid fault don't "burp" again....last time it happened, it changed the location of the Mississippi River. Fortunately, we've had new maps printed since then...
    I've felt mild tremors here in IL but not many, and like I said, minor. Don't think I want to see a "BIG ONE" !

18. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Life's a crap shoot. I'm worried about covid-19 right now. That is until the Nork's, the Russian or the Chinese blow our power grid with hackers or a nuke. Or the next drought, or locusts, the big quake (yours or mine), rioting social justice warriors, freak tornadoes, or Godzilla and killer clowns from outer space. Geez, I need a timeout. :smoking:

19. VN350X10

VN350X10

Naw, you just need a hobby ! All worrying will do is give you an ulcer, it never cured anything.
    Planning your reaction to any/all of the above, with enough options to keep viable is enough to think about.
    Do it my way....first thing I do in the morning is read the obits in the local paper. If I don't see my name, THEN I make plans for the rest of the day ;)

20. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Hobbies? Bicycling. Shooting. Keeps me busy.