08:40 PM

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by wabash, Jan 10, 2001.

1. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I was craving white chocolate chips tonight. So instead, I chopped up two apples and poured some honey on them. I try to eat healthy, but I lost it this afternoon and wolfed down a big pile of saltines.

2. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I can walk past.
    I can talk a good story about will power.
    But in the end, total destruction occurs.

3. VN350X10

VN350X10

Daughter had a wasp problem where she's living (she's allergic!) so I went up & played executioner. She rewarded Dad with cookies: Chocolate, chocolate chip, with Macadamia nuts & coconut flake, made with butter & coconut butter.
    I managed to limit myself to only 1 last night, and none yet today......so far ;)

Next up is loading a tractor & the zero-turn on the trailer to go & mow the old place, the Village is getting testy so I may as well make them happy so they don't decide to fine me..a sense of humor, they have NOT !

4. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Regular or unscented?
    You're a better man than me. The only place I have willpower is at the store. Once it gets home, it will be eaten quickly.
    The village; isn't this the same place where all those villagers with the pitchforks and torches come from?

5. VN350X10

VN350X10

They did, but the moat full of hungry alligators & the occasional school:fishing:of pirahnas tends to keep them at bay.:faint:

The claymore's don't hurt either...:dunno:

6. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

The image of the angry villagers does tend to suffer from a lowest common denominator connotation.
    Still, it's very generous of you to school the moat with alligators rather than a six meter long, cranky old crocodile.
    Mowing the field the field seems to be the path of least resistance in this case. Plus, it lets you use your toys.

7. VN350X10

VN350X10

Gators, being native to the Americas, are easier to come by, so the logistics are just easier.
    Besides, one or 2 big salt-water crocs would only cause a small buzz. But 40 gators, even thou smaller, has a much more intense effect on the crowd. We're Grandstanding here.... ;)

8. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

There is something about watching an objectionable looking creature wriggle over several of its brethren to threaten you that makes a lasting impression. Do you circulate the water in the moat and filter it to a minty freshness. Is the water oxygenated to keep the piranha healthy. I'm just assuming that you've got piranha.

9. VN350X10

VN350X10

Same aeration system as the Koi have, only bigger. But then the Moat has a LOT more volume than the Koi pond. And it does circulate naturally, the creek sees to that. And if a few of the predator species manage to escape.....:dunno:....it helps thin out the other native populations, and there are so many bluegills anyhow, nobody is really going to notice. Pirahana tend to look like a bluegill, they've just got a LOT more attitude.....

10. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Did they give you a written notice, the stink eye, or a snide comment?

11. VN350X10

VN350X10

Heard it thru the grapevine from one of the Village LEO's who is now the code enforcement officer, who complained that he didn't already have enough to do. Told him it was his own fault, explained his handwriting was too damn neat & legible ;)
    Also told him I'd be on it before next Sat. So it got done tonight, 2 machines, drank a LOT of fuel, but it at least looks presentable now.

12. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

It sounds like a homeowners association, but more legally binding. That really sounds like a lot of work. Between the two homesteads, how many acres are you maintaining. Is that two moats completely around the total acreage?

13. VN350X10

VN350X10

Just about 3 1/2, but the old place is a lot harder to mow, Mom & Dad over-landscaped the CRAP out of the place. And everything was planted to clear a 36" (!) mower deck:faint:so there's no room for a lot of the new equipment. Even the walk-behind DR Trimmer (weedeater on steroids) makes a 22" path. Didn't even consider taking the Kubota with it's 60" deck as it's to unwieldly, along with too heavy (1650# or so) and sinking out of sight isn't high on my "TO DO" list !
    Mowing wasn't bad, just slow because the grass was only mowed once this year.....so we were cutting some that was 2' or better in spots. Sure shows the difference in equipment when you get into stuff like that with true pro machinery. I amazed myself with what the Bob-Cat zero-turn was doing, I was expecting a much more difficult go of it ! Took a cooler full of 1/2 frozen bottles of water, turned out to be a great idea, as it didn't rain, and we got really thirsty. Ended up bringing only about 1/4 of them back home.

gotta add here, I also mowed the back yard of the new place today, way too much seat time mowing today, back is letting me know about it now. Hot shower, Advill, stretching exercises,none has helped. May as well say screw it & go to:countingsheep:bed

14. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I hear that. Yesterday, my knee was achy enough that I was worried about picking up brass today. When I woke up this morning, I guess all was forgiven. The knee felt okay.
    It sounds like they made a re-creation of the ground at Waterloo.

15. VN350X10

VN350X10

There were times I thought they were trying to re-create a hedge maze !~

16. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I spent the first four months I was in our house undoing all of the artistic landscaping touches that the previous owners had done. :faint: Seven yucca trees, hills that drained into the foundation, palm trees that covered the sidewalk and a nice termite infested table someone dragged into the garage that caused the house to need to be tented. :brickwall:

17. VN350X10

VN350X10

Be glad you didn't move into St.Augustine FL, every one of those trees would have required a permit to remove it. And tree permits are for ONE tree only, each one needs to be voted on by the city council. And changing grade to prevent water.....you must be kidding !

18. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I had to get a permit to remove two palm trees on my front strip by the sidewalk. And then, the city told me what I had to plant in their place. But, the Yuccas were deeper on the property and if I needed a permit, nobody notified me.
    Our old property in Palo Alto had two oaks which were now considered heritage trees and I'm pretty sure a permit would be required to remove them. I remember when they both were saplings. Which makes me heritage man.
    [​IMG]

19. VN350X10

VN350X10

Yeah, the idea is, you plant oaks & walnuts for your grandkids to enjoy.
    I get more enjoyment cutting the annoying stuff DOWN ! Bigger burn pile, which will be lit for Labor Day this year, we missed last year because of weather conditions :(

20. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Hockey players stand for the national anthem, but basketball players kneel.
    I guess it must be hard to kneel on the ice while wearing ice skates.