08:40 PM

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by wabash, Jan 10, 2001.

1. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Yep, the wind's blowing from the west again.

2. VN350X10

VN350X10

Got some machine maint. done yesterday, not as much as hoped, but at least have 1 finished. This morning the zero-turn goes up on the lift, will get blades sharpened, balanced, & everything greased. Might even get the oil changed. Mike got some PM type forms, so have been filling out for the equipment as we work on it, things like filter #'s & cross reference, oil type, quantity, and other service "stuff". AND at what hour it was done, nice when everything has an hour meter, far easier to keep track of than trying to remember dates !

3. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

That reminds me. I probably should put gas in the mower next time I use it.
    We got an inch of rain yesterday. More today and more two days ago. Then, it's supposed to warm up this weekend.

4. VN350X10

VN350X10

I'll be out with the Zero-turn next week doing the front & back lawn. Growing fast, it is !

5. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

It's been cool here. So a lot of the seeds I put in are still dormant. But, the few that have come up are making decent progress. My three store bought tomato plants have hardly grown at all and a couple of the ones that sprouted from seed look like they want to catch up. And we seem to have a plethora of hummingbirds. The nest in front is empty now, so I have to assume their baby is zooming around the yard with them. They like the flowers on my aloe plicatillis.
    [​IMG]

6. VN350X10

VN350X10

I think I'll be putting out our hummingbird feeders in the next week or so. Have not seen any yet, but they will be here soon. :)

7. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I had one land on a tomato cage a foot and a half away from me. Another hovered next to my hand as I sprinkled my grow pots. They are always attracted to sprinklers and spray nozzles. I want a way to provide them a reliable water source, but can't come up with a way to give them anything.

8. VN350X10

VN350X10

We've got a recirculating pump in a bird bath, and it gets refilled about every other day to keep the water clean.(our volume of water is about 3 gallons) When the water's moving, it attracts birds, and with a short upward fountain, it keeps the water aerated. We have even seen crows in the bird bath very early in the morning, and it's on our back deck, close to the feeders. The hummingbird feeders hang from the same poles, and everything seems to work out fine. :)

9. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

So, crows are a bit of a rarity for you?
    There are tons of them here. A friends dad grew up here in the 1920s and 30s and said there didn't used to be crows. But now, they are legion. In rainy weather we always get a couple hopping around on our lawn looking for worms I guess.

10. thewitt

thewitt

Most states still have a long hunting season on crows and some even still offer a bounty...

MinervaDoe likes this.
  11. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I lived in Modesto for a year and when I rode my bike next to the irrigation canals, I saw orchard farmers blasting crows with shotguns. It makes sense. But, here in the city of San Jose, you can't so much as pop a firecracker without getting a visit from law enforcement. :dunno: My understanding is that crows live very well off of what humans discard and that crow populations tend to grow where ever humans build. I enjoy their presence. Although, I've been known to slingshot un-popped popcorn kernels at them if a bunch of them set up a racket in my ash tree. They learn fast and pass it on to other crows, "Do not congregate here."

12. VN350X10

VN350X10

No, far from a rarity, we have a resident murder of about a dozen or so in the neighborhood. But it is strange for them to come that close to the house. Several of them will hop up on the deck, but it's 24' wide. The birdbath is only about 6' from the house.
    There's a flock of about 17 wild turkeys in the 'hood also, but they're kind of skittish of the next-door neighbor's dogs. But they will land out by the sheep, IF the sheep are out in the pasture.
    When I was a kid, dad & I would go out hunting crows, just for the wing-shooting practice. I got very, very good at calling them in.....but I'd get so involved in calling, I'd forget that I was supposed to be shooting ! Got dad flustered a couple of times, but to me, the real sport was the calling ! Out-smarting a crow is no mean feat when they're used to getting shot at.

13. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

:rofl: Sometimes getting sidetracked is the adventure.
    I've got one that sits in the neighbor's tree and does that crow faux talking, and also a tick tick tick vocalization.
    When I'm in the garden or whittling, I'll do my best to imitate him and mimic his cadence. I'm not sure what he / she thinks is going on, but it really gets him going.

14. VN350X10

VN350X10

Best way to get a crow REALLY going is to mimic the sounds of a crow being attacked by an owl. The proper tone & cadence will bring crows for MILES literally, as groups come together to fight a much hated common enemy. And if you can throw a crow's death cry in the mix, it REALLY gets them riled up.
    A buddy that hunts coyotes bought a top line FoxPro electronic call, and put in his crow vs owl chip. It don't work half bad really, it sounds almost as good as I do with my 1950's vintage P.S.Olt hardwood call. The tone chamber is seasoned walnut, other parts are red oak. Auntie saw a call like mine on Antiques Road Show & pointed it out to me. They valued it at about $375.00 or so. I've still got the box for mine and it has the price in black crayon written on the box...... $ 2.49 ! Antique hell, it's still a working tool. I've found that when hunting squirrels, a crow call is the best thing going. If the crows start coming in, squirrels get curious & less cautious about looking to see what's going on. ;) It's much easier to shoot them when you can see them.

15. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

:exercise:
    Sometimes, it's hard to tell when you're pulling my leg. Then, I check the Intrawebs.
    I was worried that you could accomplish these great feats freehand (so to speak). I can't whistle worth a darn, but I can do a passable duck all.
    No offense intended, but I'm not sure how else to word this. You have got the redneck science down. :bowdown:

16. VN350X10

VN350X10

I'm not bad at fishing either....my 2 favorite ways are a fly-rod, or archery. Can't get much different !

I've been hunting since I was about 7 yrs. old, had my own 20 ga. shotgun when I was 8 yrs. old, and got my 1st handgun when I was 14. Been doin' this a while !

17. VN350X10

VN350X10

FWIW....no matter how hard I try, all I can accomplish with a duck call is to scare them into the next state. They don't stop at the county line... :(

18. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I've got this picture in my mind of that day when the fish aren't biting, and you discovered archery fishing.
    I had to borrow my dad's .22 for a long time.
    You've got me beat by four years.
    My contractor neighbor was fooling around with his duck call, so I did mine. He wanted to see my caller (which is my hand) which he had trouble believing. I had to do it a couple of times to convince him.

19. VN350X10

VN350X10

It was a family tradition, by Father's Day, the carp were spawning, so dad & I would go out for carp. I used a bow, and dad used a spear ! A Jon boat floating in the shallows can be deadly on carp with a guy in each end. ;)

20. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

There's an other worldly experience for me. That sounds like a lot of fun. What works the best, arrow or spear?