08:40 PM

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by wabash, Jan 10, 2001.

1. VN350X10

VN350X10

Yeah, but if I eat before I go to the shop, I just might have a 2nd or 3rd cup of coffee...... & say screw it ! That would upset several of the "regulars" as they come in to get a cup of my coffee !
    We don't let Barry play with tools OR make coffee. Too much chance of something going tragicly wrong :(

2. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

By brown bagging, I meant bring your own lunch into work and eat it at lunch time. But, by the sound of it, you are on that see food diet where you see food and you eat it.

3. VN350X10

VN350X10

Ed-Zachery !
    And "lunch time" at the gun shop can be anything from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM ! When food shows up, we eat. Some of the regulars bring food un-announced ;)
    One of the local Mex supermarkets make great stuff in house, and on Saturday's when they make tamales, they're swamped. One of the regulars always get them & brings a dozen or so in, and we usually have salsa & sour cream in stock in the frig.
    I have been known to bring in some of my chili, Barry cries that it's too spicy, but I've never seen him NOT eat it.....

4. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Deli counters in Mexican supermarkets tend to be very good. I've been to a couple in my area that were exceptional. There's a condo where my favorite used to be.
    Those leftover mashed potatoes that I had for lunch aren't quite as impressive now that I read that.

Funny how that works. The squeaky wheel still eats the free food. Like that's never happened before.

5. VN350X10

VN350X10

When I was working, we would have a shop party 1 day a year, called it "Amigo Day" because the Mexican guys started it, eventually turned into a LARGE pot-luck that stretched lunch to about 2 1/2 hrs. Some of the guys cheaped or chickened out, a lot of KFC, but a LOT of damn good food.
    I never brought any of my home made soup, chili or Chinese spare ribs (this was made w/wild boar ribs!) home. And several of the gals from the office wanted recipes. One asked me if I was SURE that I was married, and another that knows Auntie told me if we ever split up, she wants to cut in line:alex: Mom raised a fat kid, not a stupid one, part of it comes from mom's recipes !

6. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

:dancing::eat::eat::dancingbanana:You guys know how to party.
    I'm thinking that secret ingredient there was the wild boar ribs. Do you harvest them based on their diet (only shooting the ones that have been eating wild elderberry roots and avoiding the ones that eat acorns)
    You are definitely an item. No one is contesting that.
    It turns out that's what women want! Who knew?

7. VN350X10

VN350X10

Actually, the boar that made the ultimate sacrifice to the meal was well fattened on sweet corn !
    That's one of the reasons he got whackked ! No nasty acorns here ;):eat:

engineer151515 likes this.
  8. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

:rofl: I'm still snickering about "Amigo Day," a tradition that continued beyond the original "promotional event."

We could expand this 'tradition.'
    We should go national with our "Amigo Day" campaign.
    The last Friday of ever month is "Amigo Day." Catch phrases are like, "Amigo Day, eat, eat," and "I like "Amigo Day!"
    "Amigo Day"
    Your favorite day of the month because you get to eat lots of food over a two and a half hour period. Yeah!!

9. VN350X10

VN350X10

Real funny thing is, one of the guys that started it brings in a dish that is REALLY not Hispanic in origin.
    His wife makes the absolute BEST shrimp cocktail I have ever eaten. Never had it with cilantro before, not sure what else she uses, but there's never any if it left over either. He gets to retire in 2 more years, as both of his kids will be out of college by then.
    His son is doing a double-major, mechanical & electronic engineering. Might be real handy, as when Alex isn't in school, he works for the local dealer that rebuilds DeLoren's ! (Mebby the kid can scare us up a couple of flux-capacitors.....:dunno:)
    His daughter is an English major.

10. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Fabricators are the ultimate scavenger / survivor types.
    You can put it into one of those Nash Metros.

11. VN350X10

VN350X10

Only thing is, a stock Metro can't even hit 88 mph. in FREE FALL !

12. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Oh, you plan on using your flux capacitor to time travel. You'd have thought we'd have learned our lesson from Biff Tannen. I was simply going to use it to power my household for the next millennia. There is a real nifty conversion kit that allows you to turn an old refrigerator into a big capacitor.

13. VN350X10

VN350X10

A Nash Metro is so slow in stock form that it NEEDS time-travel capability just to keep up with freeway traffic... They could get run over by a Smart car. Or a kid on a tricycle that has good leg muscles !

14. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Why does that not surprise me?
    [​IMG]

15. VN350X10

VN350X10

A few years back, there was a "Small Car Expo" in Crystal Lake. It was open to any small car, max displacement of 1400 cc. Lots of interesting things, several "micro" cars I'd only seen pics of before, even an English built "Peel 50", which isn't much more than a powered shopping cart. Renaults, Fiat's, old (real) Mini's, Isetta's, even a Messerschmidt Bubble Car.
    Except for 1 car. There was a flared, lowered, tubbed Nash Metro, with an engine swap.
    No, it wasn't the old 409 monster, rather it had a Chevy 4.3 V-6 with a 4-bbl & headers.
    Comp T/A's all around, just sinister looking amongst all the micro's. Guy entered as a joke, based on it's original displacement (1200 cc). There were even re-powered bumper cars & carney ride type cars set up for the street using various powerplants. An interesting show really & kind of fun.
    Even a few old NSU's with Wankel rotary engines.

16. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

It sounds like a gear head version of Alice in Wonderland.

17. VN350X10

VN350X10

Kinda-sorta, yeah.
    Several of the NSU's had dealer stickers on them from Goettel Motors. Car & motorcycle dealer in my old 'hood. Same building that the gun shop is in now ;) Small world.....
    Tiny cars are neat, but they just don't have enough OOOMPH unless you do something radical, and even then, they don't have the brakes necessary to play safely. :(

18. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

They look like death traps to me. So, the mention of Smart Cars seems appropriate.
    By comparison I'm amazed at how well made my 2017 Corolla is. I've even got variable valve timing.

19. VN350X10

VN350X10

Despite their appearance, a Smart Car is almost a rolling roll cage. Not enough crush room, but a cage none the less. I drove one, once, for about 6 blocks. It belongs to a friend that owns a novelty/gag/joke/gift shop, it's painted as advertising, & the license plate reads "2 DUMMYS"
    It's a WI vanity plate. That was enough of a drive for me:alex: I'm a bit pickier about a roll cage, thank you.....and happier if I built it too.

20. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I got a ride in a Suzuki Samurai one time. I thought the thing was going to flip when we went over a railroad track. Six blocks? No thank you.

Oh, and isn't Nash Metro a show about a San Francisco detective who drives a Hemi Cuda in a city where it's impossible to go over seven MPH?