08:40 PM

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by wabash, Jan 10, 2001.

1. VN350X10

VN350X10

I think it was an F.C.C. requirement at one time to sound as boring as Howard Cossell !
    But as they got more into R&R, the nasal tones went away & personalities emerged. We had a REAL cast of strange ones here in Chi !

If you can find a book, possibly online, "Clark Weber's Rock and Roll Radio"
    The Fun Years, 1955-1975
    Outstanding read, as Weber worked both AM & FM stations in his career. He was the major name on WLS (890am) in Chi for a long time, then switched to WCFL(1000am) and later to FM.
    WLS was a clear-channel station, only one on the frequency in the country. Don't know if you were able to get it at night out in Cali. but most of the country could get it at various times.
    I thought it supremely ironic when he recently passed away.....he was 89 years old !
    on air tag line was "WLS The Big 89"

2. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

The stoner california FM jocks made Cosell sound like a bundle of personality. Then again, with lines like, "He is a human pro-jec-TILE," he kind of was.
    I never noticed it. But, I believe there were some AM stations that retained their coast to coast band waves for quite a while. Aside from dad's big powerful tube radio and its one mono Walter Lansing speaker, I didn't get FM until 1976 (when I had a car with it, and an 8 track).

3. VN350X10

VN350X10

Should have saved the 8-track..... It's a valuable antique now !

4. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

So is the 68 Camaro that it was in.

5. VN350X10

VN350X10

There you go! I never had a problem like that, I never had a Mustang or Camaro or anything else that was really desirable. It was more fun working with a "sleeper" on the street.
    And my insurance was always cheaper too...I mean, who'd want to be seen in a 4-dr. Rambler ?
    It was great fun thou, taking money away from the kids with the "cool" cars.
    The only car I wish I had back now is the original 1957 V-W Sunroof sedan that we cut up into my 1st Dune Buggy chassis :( Who knew that old Bugs would ever get so popular :dunno::faint:

6. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

A friend still has his wife's old (74 I believe) bug. The last time I was in it, I was surprised that our shoulders near touched. Those cars are small.

7. VN350X10

VN350X10

When the V-W's were about the only small import except for the odd Renault or Opel, most American iron was big enough to drive a bug around inside of them ! So a small car was a novelty in the U.S.A. and got a lot of attention. I do miss my old Mini's also, but every one of those I had I actually made money on, so I don't miss them too much. And they, along with my TR-3 & Triumph Bonneville also taught my exactly WHY I hate British electrics....:steamed::steamed::steamed::burn:
    I keep thinking it might be fun to find an old Opel GT and stuff a 4.3 Chevy V-6 in it:headscratch:

8. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

:rofl: And, here I was worried about where I'd get the fuel to power an ants mini bike around the inside of a cheerio.
    Not to worry. You're not alone. I heard the reason that Mazda allowed to Ford to take such a huge share was so they could get some decent electronics going forward.
    Auntie might blow a gasket if she hears that you're planning another project before you get the old place cleaned out.

9. VN350X10

VN350X10

There are several project cars that have been planned, but once thought out, dropped for one reason or another, usually odd ball stuff. One of the strangest I was ever involved with was a buddy from college. His grandma gave him a Nash Metropolitan. An uncle gifted him a 409 Chevy & 4 speed left over from a '61 Impala rebuild. You can see where THIS is going....
    We used a 10-bolt from a Chevelle & a quantity of various tubing shapes & sizes, but it ran. LIKE STINK ! I've been welding & fabricating for a long time...I made him put a rev-limiter in it to keep it under 5600 rpm, and it held together well. It too went down the road to someone with more money than brains :car::car::car::car::car:

got to add, the Metro body was too far gone for a resto, by the time it was done, we had both learned a lot about fiberglass work

10. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Did it have inner fender wells? It seems like a tight fit (to say the least).

11. VN350X10

VN350X10

Quite tight, the '09 is a wide engine. Inner fender wells were actually 3/8" rubber conveyor belting from a gravel pit. Headers were out of the question, OEM cast-iron manifolds were a squeeze. A hood scoop was also required, even with the lowest air cleaner we could find. We ended up using a element from a 260 Ford V-8 which was only about 2 1/2" tall.
    Stock paint job,(black &white) either a skunk or a panda depending one's point of view.
    All in all, not quite Lois Lane's Metro !

12. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

You made one of these go fast!! :alex: Did you leave the brakes stock?
    Is this it?
    [​IMG]

13. VN350X10

VN350X10

No, not NEAR that kewell ! We upgraded to brakes with GM parts to match the Chevelle rear end, made the wheel bolt pattern the same F/R (5 on 4 3/4") this is where using the Camero front sub-frame(well, most of it) paid off. The factory brakes on a Nash Metro were pathetic with it's 4 cyl. installed. Looking at this build, I'd bet there's nothing in the way of inner fenders, might possibly be a glass repop body. And we didn't have rears nearly that wide, 7" wide rims if I remember.
    I'd wager that this one's paint work cost more than we had in the entire build ! And he stole a wing from a Can-Am car to boot....

14. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

You kept the stock body, so I'm thinking the sub frame was too big. Am I off base thinking that you had to cut that down?
    It looks stretched to me. Not a modded stock body. The angles are cartoonish.
    Yeah. It's hard to jizz up a nice wing, but I'd say they succeeded.

15. VN350X10

VN350X10

Like I said, most of it. Narrowing a front & rear end isn't really that hard if one has a bit of suspension knowledge. And making the frame from tubing leaves things wide open for easy modification. Most of it was beer, torch, try, more torch & weld, more beer. But I did keep things centered.
    We did farm out the narrowed rear end to a local drag car shop, just because of needing custom axles, something they had a lot of experience with. We spec'd the spring perch width & turned them loose. And in the "look" of the day, we radiused the rear wheel openings, and the tires stuck out about 1" on each side. Not enough to get busted in IL, but enough to look "racer".
    The front fenders of the one in the pic look about 6"-8" too long, like they were stretched, but the rears look about stock length. The wheel openings are for sure not stock, fronts almost look like it's going to have about a 50' turning circle. Seeing the cage inside, I'd wager it's a full tube frame also.

16. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

It reminds me of that car that could be used as a boat.
    I like this picture of a Nash Metropolitan.
    [​IMG]

17. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Saw you guys talking about dads.
    Mine was a training Sgt in the Foreign Legion.
    Besides swimming at four years old, I had to learn jujitsu.
    Mom was French Intelligence Service.
    Until I was 8, I could not have a toy gun, only a rubber knife.
    Kids and parents complained!
    I got a toy gun.
    Guess kids hate rubber knives at their throats?
    :)

engineer151515 and MinervaDoe like this.
  18. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I always knew there was something special about you.

G33 likes this.
  19. VN350X10

VN350X10

I've got 10 bucks that says Geesie is probably more than a decent chef.
    Probably knows how to pick a good wine to go with the meal after she cooks it too !
    My criteria for picking a good wine is that it can't come in a cardboard box....

She's got me on the swimming too, I was six.:drowning:

MD, quick question, is 2318 correct ?

20. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Yup. It's also the way that Earth's colony on Mars frees itself from its oppressive yolk.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020