08:40 PM

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by wabash, Jan 10, 2001.

1. VN350X10

VN350X10

Fortunately, a LOT smoother than might be thought with all the linkage. Remember the "hammer" doesn't strike the firing pin, it's also done thru a linkage. The "hammer" is merely a cocking piece for single-action firing.:dunno::headscratch::dunno::headscratch::dunno:
    I've not had to work on one yet, and they do come with a lifetime guarantee(thank you) and because of being a rather strange looking beast (like it's namesake) it will remain a niche item in the market. They don't sell a lot of them, but they do sell steady on a yearly basis.
    Just think, if Sam Colt had come up with the idea of firing the lowest chamber, ALL revolvers might look like this, until some "oddball thinker" like Bill Ruger came up with the RedHawk !

2. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...ingle/double+action+357+mag+6"+6+walnut+black
    $873 - Not bad for a revolutionary chimera.
    I have to assume that like my Redhawk, it can be fired without the moon clips.
    I was surprised that there are SA only and DA / SA versions. :okie:
    Sure, why not.

3. VN350X10

VN350X10

Not sure what the deal is w/moon clips.:dunno:I can shoot my S&W 610 without them, but ejecting brass then becomes a PITA. But using the clips, I can also shoot .40 S&W as shorts ;) !

4. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I use my Redhawk .357 with no moon clips all the time. There's no problem ejecting the brass.

5. VN350X10

VN350X10

Usually any rimmed case is easy enough to eject from a revolver. BUT.....for competition, most USPSA matches above club level are "lost brass" to speed up the procedings. By having moon clips, they are considered the same as a magazine & not subject to being discarded, and since the brass is locked in them, you get to reclaim your brass ! This is why you see many revolver class shooters with cylinders modified to accept moon clips.
    Their original use was for S&W and Colt revolvers, as 1/2 moon clips to use .45ACP ammo in them, and permit ejection. This is where the .45 Auto-Rim ctg. came from, after WWII and shooters didn't want to mess with them. That's also why the .45 A-R cases have such a THICK rim, to account for the clip thickness, and maintain proper headspace.

6. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

7. VN350X10

VN350X10

I do have access to a Barret .50, and those leg joints probably won't withstand a .50 BMG
    AP or HE round......and an APIT would probably really mess with the electro-mechanical controls that run the thing ! :devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish:probably too much for a 10MM, hence, the .50 !

On another note, today's project involved roasting about 6 lbs. of soup bones, about 2 1/2 hrs. in oven, started while still frozen, and have now been simmering since around 1:30, will stay on until I go to bed, then out into garage to cool overnight (about 40* in there) and see if it jells.
    Tomorrow morning, back on the heat until the bones come out white, then start adding veggies as necessary. Will probably end up with about 10-12 quarts of soup when done.:eat:And the house smells damn good right now too, NOT like my:steamed:chili:burn:that melts the eyes while cooking !

8. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

APIT (Armor Piercing Incendiary Tracer) .... had to look that one up. That's better than Luke Skywalker tying its feet together.

The only time I saw someone serve up a plate of bones, it was in a cartoon. Who's coming to dinner, Lassie?

[​IMG]

9. VN350X10

VN350X10

Yeah, tying it's feet together is too much like work ;)
    No, no, no, the bones are being boiled to make soup stock, there's about 4 lbs. of beef on them at the start, and that's the basis of the beef stock. It's not bone broth since there's a lot of meat involved but it will be a rich base. There was a lot of marrow, as most of the bones were leg bones from the last whole beef we bought. I'll leave the veggies up to Auntie since I'm going to be at the gun shop tomorrow, but I know it will come out great. Soup is something my mom taught her after we got married.
    Yeah, by the time the stock is done cooking, there won't be ANYTHING left on the bones, they'll look like they were bleached ! They'll go into the compost pile anyhow & will break down over time. But Lassie is welcome to them. (Lassie was the 1st known trans actor in Hollywierd...)

10. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Good call on the trivia. Lassie was a laddie, eh?
    Are you actually roasting the bones, or was that a figure of speech? I'm surprised that the bones compost.

11. VN350X10

VN350X10

Yeah, by roasting the bones, you get much more flavor, must richer. And after everything is boiled out of them, they will start breaking down, putting calcium into the pile.

Had the soup tonight after I got home from the shop....like 3 bowls of it !:eat::eat::eat:

12. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Surprise with my early spring today. The compost is not ready. 1) The biostacks are under a tree right now and didn't get as wet this winter. 2) I didn't turn the stack until today.
    Lots of happy worms and slimy leaves mixed with some stuff that looks like coffee. All that adobe I topped the layers off with has just been soaked up.
    So, at least I turned both stacks and pulled out several wheelbarrows of some composted stuff.
    Looked in the mirror.
    Having salad for dinner.

13. VN350X10

VN350X10

Happy worms sounds like a good excuse to go fishing ! Salad don't sound bad ! Just don't put the worms on it, even thou they ARE good protein :)
    Happy worms = fresh fish.:fishing::fishing::fishing::fishing::fishing:

engineer151515 likes this.
  14. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Happy worms = fresh dirt.

The only kind of casting I'm doing is worm castings.

[​IMG]

15. VN350X10

VN350X10

THOSE make excellent potting/starting soil ! Around here, that dirt = gold :number1:

16. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I don't make enough of it for you guys. I figure my biostacks make about eleven cubic feet over the winter. It's pretty much one of my hobbies.

17. VN350X10

VN350X10

That's still enough for your garden....How big is the garden ??

18. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Fourteen tomato pots and five zucchini pots. The yard is the size of a small dog run. Can I count my ash tree?

19. VN350X10

VN350X10

If they're growing, they count !
    I think the only thing that's going to be in pots this year is the Carolina Reaper peppers, and they'll be in 1/2 barrels, setting on the deck. Everything else will be out in the garden.
    At least that's the game plan.

20. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe