08:40 PM

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by wabash, Jan 10, 2001.

1. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Baked the chicken. Mrs M. likes the crispy skin. Put honey and rub on it. I could have left it in for another five minutes.

Did the habaneros take the paint off your kitchen walls?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  2. VN350X10

VN350X10

Only in a few small, un-noticable spots....And the nylon utensils hold up well, as they're very chemical resistant except for very strong acids.
    Will try some after chill/reheat cycle for lunch, Auntie's off on another of her "old lady's 4-H" gigs, some kind of a seminar at the county extension office. Said there might be recipes involved. Just what we need.....:headscratch:

snowing again, started about midnight, not heavy but just enough to be annoying, can't seem to keep the driveway clear for more than a day or 2 at a time, and I'll be damned if I'm going to install heating:steamed:coils !

3. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Sat in my swinging chair out in back. The sun got too warm, so I had to take off my sweatshirt and rake up leaves. My neighbor has trees that drop leaves year round and never lose their foliage. I figure it's really a deciduous tree from Alaska or something and doesn't know its winter here (ever). It just patiently drops about one leaf a minute, all day, every day. So, there's always something to rake up.
    I'm pretty sure if I check there's still soup from Tuesday. Guess I'll heat it up.

4. VN350X10

VN350X10

Driveway done (again) but it's snowing again, interesting, as the temp is about 35*, so everything that lands, melts. Just enough to annoy me :(
    Chili came out fine, flavors melded quite nicely, it's on the menu for tonight's dinner, now if I could get Auntie to make some onion bread,:eat:all would be well!

5. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

My to do list contains the line item, "Learn to bake ciabatta bread in our bread maker."
    You've got to admire the ingredients: flour, salt, oil.

6. VN350X10

VN350X10

Sounds easy enough, like concrete, just get the proportions correct & you're Golden !

7. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Speaking of concrete like substances, last week, when I put a paver stone walkway in my back yard, I cut a little trench for the stones. Now, I have this big heap of adobe that I need to stir into my compost and mix with my soil before summer comes and it just hardens into a giant Hershey's kiss.
    Soup time.

8. VN350X10

VN350X10

Can you pulverise it & mix it with water & use it as a mortar or grout ? The stone probably won't ever move again !

9. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

The Mrs. wants to pull all the stones out and level them with a bed of sand and a weed tarp. :brickwall:
    Meanwhile, Junior is away at college in San Diego and has found a 2007 BMW 335i for $2,000 (150 thousand miles) up in Marin that he wants to look at. Can you think of a reason why this is a bad idea? :brickwall:

10. VN350X10

VN350X10

Yeah, a $2000.00 Beemer is about $5000.00 worth of repair waiting to happen. Tell him to check into what a brake job costs,( OEM, not after-market crap) or replacing the shocks/struts along with a front end rebuild, THEN decide if he really wants it. Might want to throw the cost of insurance at him too,:alex: with him as primary driver. Hell, even the proper speed-rated tires ain't cheap !
    How many miles on it ? Add in a clutch & throw-out bearing, plus "etc."
    They're like cute blonds, fun, but NOT a cheap date.....after all, it is a 13 year-old car and a lot of stuff is near, or at the end of it's life-cycle. (timing belt or chain,again from BMW)

The leveling idea sounds less painful than a used BMW...(Bring More Wallet).
    If you can spray down a good amount of copper-sulfate solution to kill things before they sprout, so much the better. Not sure what/if you can use it in CA. I try to tint the area a nice blue-green before I start on such a project. Saves a lot of work down the road. I really hate pulling weeds !

11. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

It sounds like a nightmare. A very, very expensive nightmare that never ends...
    Here's what I found:
    cost of replacing one of a 335is turbochargers is $6,335 cost of two is double= $12,800 + injectors = $1,400 Total expected = $14,200

The average cost for a BMW 335i turbocharger assembly replacement is between $4,277 and $6,335. Labor costs are estimated between $1381 and $1743 while parts are priced between $2896 and $4592.

Replacement Costs: ~$1,400 for injectors, $100 for BMW to code them, plus install at a shop if you don’t DIY

https://www.bmwn54tuners.com/8-most-common-bmw-n54-engine-problems/

These are the most common N54 engine problems:

• High-Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) Failure
    • Turbocharger Failure / Wastegate Rattle
    • Leaky Fuel Injectors
    • Leaking Boost / Chargepipe Failure
    • Valve Cover Oil Leak
    • Carbon Build-up
    • Vanos Solenoids (2A87 and 2A88)
    • Water Pump Failure

12. VN350X10

VN350X10

Convince him that since he's in college, he should have a 1967 VW beetle. Then get him a copy of John Muir's book,"How to keep your VW alive, a manual of step by step procedures for the complete idiot", otherwise referred to as the VW Idiot book. With that & tools, anything on a VW can be repaired except the trans-axle or body work. The tranny takes special fixtures :( When I was building racing VW engines, I used that book to double check myself on builds. It's that good, and that complete.

Used Bimmers are for rich, foolish people ! Since we live in a friendly part of the state, we don't have smog lane checks on our cars. A friend is doing an engine swap on a BMW, not sure what model, but it's getting a Chevy LS motor & Tremec 5 speed.

13. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

He does not need a project car right now. Especially some over engineered piece of crap that is going to cost him $20,000 to keep on the road. When he graduates, he can have my 85 Mustang with its collection of goodies and add ons. It sort of sounds like he doesn't want it. He's spent practically no time working on the Mustang, so I think he'll spend zero time on what ever project car he gets.
    Our 2000 Subaru which he has in S.D. has like 65,000 miles on it.

14. VN350X10

VN350X10

Your Subaru is like a VW. Feed it, change it's oil on a decent schedule & drive it a billion miles.
    There IS an interesting kit based on Subarus, made by Factory 5 Racing, called a 818. It derives it's name from it's weight (about 1800 lbs) 818 Kg. I've checked with them thou, it only works with 4cyl models, I wanted to build one using the 3 liter 6 cyl. Nope, not enough room without modification. Still thinking on it thou. :headscratch:

15. VN350X10

VN350X10

Added, it started snowing here about 6PM, already got about 2" so I'll be out on the Kubota in the AM before I head off to the gun shop ! Will probably have over 6" by then if it keeps falling at this rate. And I had the driveway CLEAN AGAIN today too !

16. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I walked about two miles to the store and back today. I wore a sweat shirt, but I overheated as it was 67 degrees here today.

Thanks for the link: https://www.factoryfive.com/818/818s/
    I sent it to junior and have since dissuaded him from pursuing his dream of dumping tons of money into worn out German car.

17. VN350X10

VN350X10

Yeah, it would be cheaper (and a lot more fun) to build an 818 starting with a new WRX than feed the beast of a BMW. More fun to drive too, given gas mileage. And I'm sure that given how WRX's are driven, all the pcs. not used in the build would be readily saleable. Novice drivers seem to crash them a lot.

Still snowing, got up to check, about 5" right now, so back to bed for another quick 40 winks & will be out on Kubota before 6:30. If I didn't have to open the gun shop, I'd wait until it quits!

18. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Here! Here! I second the motion to go back to bed.

19. VN350X10

VN350X10

It happened, made it for an extra hr. of sleep. Got up, dressed & on the Kubota by 6:30, right on schedule. Made it to the shop before the boss, had coffee pot ready by the time he got there, so all was well. Had almost enough work to keep me busy most of the day, so I didn't even need to deal with annoying customers ! Hid in the back room & made toys well again. Got a mounting project on a Tikko O/U combo gun, but need to talk to the scope mfg'r. on Mon. to see if they make the mount base we need. Otherwise, I'll have to make one if the customer wants it bad enough ;)

20. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Had a wonderful time raking all the decomposing leaves out of my industrial sized planter boxes and then mixing them with my left over adobe. :faint: Kind of a maintenance day.