08:40 PM

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by wabash, Jan 10, 2001.

1. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I read a study where archaeologists went through the garbage piles of an ancient European settlement and they found plenty of evidence that voles, rats and mice had played a significant role in the diet of our ancestors. I'd prefer a pepperoni pizza, but I just made a batch of kidney bean stew that tasted great with only a half pound of beef. I figure two squirrels would have been just about right.

2. VN350X10

VN350X10

3, but you'd need to add some fat. They're actually quite lean !

3. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Your squirrels are too skinny. That's because you deny them access to the smorgasbord on your deck. Get some of these California squirrels and you can make a coat out of the leftovers.
    [​IMG]

4. VN350X10

VN350X10

That looks more like a groundhog(woodchuck, eastern marmot) than a squirrel! That fat, it would need to climb(yeah, right!) something like a California Redwood, anything else would topple over like Charlie Brown's Christmas Tree !
    That thing is stuffed like an old-lady's pillow !

5. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

As usual, I just grabbed a picture off the Intrawebs, gave it a back story and went to town with it. Is this taxidermied little guy one of yours?
    [​IMG]

6. VN350X10

VN350X10

Not that I know of. We don't have skiing snow depth yet, the local hills are just starting on the making of it. Give them another 2 or 3 days of below freezing & then watch out ! He might be from up about the middle of WI, the have a lot more snow on the ground than we do, they got hit a lot harder the other night. Some place recorded almost 8", we "recorded" 4.8" in Woodstock, but actually got less with the ground warmth, a lot melted as it hit. I was plowing about an honest 3".
    Speaking of interweeb pics, look for one, a gent just snapped one of a whitetail deer up near Marquette MI, the buck has 3 antlers ! There are several possible explanations for it, but it is about a 1/1,000,000 deer. Even on planet Michigan !

7. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Is there a nuclear reactor anywhere near there? Photoshop? Staples? Epoxy? Sunspots?

They shed their antlers every year right? Maybe he was too lazy to shed both of last years antlers.

8. VN350X10

VN350X10

No, the gent that took it is a long time hunter, gave up shooting deer a few years ago & now just hunts with a camera. He's seen it a few times this year, but this is the first time he had his camera with, said it was harder to stalk for the camera than to shoot it, didn't want to take a picture at 150 yds. !!
    Correct, antlers are shed every year, but there are several possibilities for the abnormality.
    No nukes, a possible injury to the antler "bud" could cause a splitting off. No indications that the deer is from Mars either.
    But the picture is distinct, it is 3 antlers. If a hunter gets it this year, it won't even be a record for "non-typical", as that stands at something like 53 points.
    There's no choice on shedding, they fall off all on their own, usually by early Feb.

9. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

My local super market finally got cut up turkey parts in stock. I'm pressure cooking up four thighs and two drumsticks. :eat:
    Mrs. M. gets back from Aruba tomorrow. :dancing:
    Meanwhile, the last of my bean stew went down the garbage disposal. Too much of a good thing I suppose. :exercise:
    And, who can forget Holling Vincoeur and his camera: :bluesbrothers:
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098878/
    [​IMG]

10. VN350X10

VN350X10

Would you believe......I never watched the show ?
    Like the camera rig, saw several similar at various race tracks with the H U G E telephoto lenses like that. Easier to aim & hold steady. I never used over a 450 mm lens at Road America, working the tech barns, I had access to EVERYWHERE so I normally just used a 55 mm lens for car shots.
    For on track shots, it was usually my 150 mm & done. ;)

Did borrow a 90* viewfinder adapter from a pro buddy for sneaky "girl shots" walking around the pits thou....

11. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

My hiking buddy is a much better photographer than I'll ever be. This week, he snapped this one with a ten year old miniature camera.
    [​IMG]

12. VN350X10

VN350X10

Did he sneak up on the birds, or did they walk in on him ? Either way, great shot ! ;)
    Turkeys tend to be quite wary for the most part. Except for a friend out in Galena IL that has them come in to his BIRD FEEDER ! Sitting in the breakfast nook of his dome one Saturday morning, saw about 10 wild turkeys just come strolling in like a group of sparrows.

Got lazy for dinner tonight, red beans & rice, with a lb. of ground chuck & 1/2 a large red onion cut up in it. easy, 1 pan, EZ cleanup, and not much left over.

13. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

The wildlife in the area parks are very habituated to humans. These turkeys were ten yards from a wide path in a well used park. If you stop when they start to move, you can usually start snapping pictures. If you're lucky, they'll settle back down. We were taking pictures of three bucks in a ravine today. You could have hit these guys with a rock. Hikers were walking by blabbing away completely oblivious to the deer a few feet away.

14. VN350X10

VN350X10

I've never had wildlife that tame in a "wild" setting. But I did almost run into a 6 point buck one day in an IL State Park, but I was coasting on my mountain bike at the time. Stealth mode on wheels can be a cool thing. Scared me more than I did the deer I think. Sad thing, this park used to be a dairy farm that I hunted on when I was in Jr. High & High School. Took a lot of pheasants out of there when it was being farmed. Should of kept closer tabs on the daughter,:headscratch: we were born same hospital, same day, 3 hrs. apart.

15. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

As habituated as these things seem, you could never walk up and touch one. The two turkeys in the picture were among the four who didn't go back into the brush when we stopped to look at them. This park had trail closures again due to a mountain lion sighting. Talk about contrasts.

16. VN350X10

VN350X10

Some of the wildlife is less scared of humans than others....

17. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

These three bucks that we were photographing in the ravine below us, were unsettled by us, but continued to eat the poison oak while they kept an eye on us. But, when there was a serious crunching on the hill above us (sounded like another deer), they took off like a shot.

18. VN350X10

VN350X10

A deer has an interesting system of hearing things. Their ears can be swiveled independantly like aimed radar antenna, and they can handle a lot of input at any one time.
    Their hearing isn't really that much more sensitive than a humans, as far as frequency range, but if they were watching you, and a different sound came in from a different location, they evaporated ! There's a very good article about a deer's hearing in the Oct. American Hunter magazine, well worth finding & reading, a GREAT education for someone doing photography & wanting to get "deer shots".
    They didn't see YOU moving & heard a different sound than what you were making (they had already locked on your sound signature) so they weren't about to stick around to see WHAT it was . Survival & all that jazz !

19. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I held my breath as the youngest one ran down this steep hill. It was simply amazing that it didn't crash and burn. And if it did, I didn't want to see it happen.

20. VN350X10

VN350X10

They don't mis-step very often. Funniest one I ever saw, Brian & I were out in WY shooting p'dogs, saw a pair of mule deer going hell bent for leather across a field about 20 yds. in front of the truck. They came to a fence & the 1st cleared it by a good 4', easy. The 2nd, however, caught a rear on the top strand of barbed wire, hooked a double somersault & landed about 15 yds. beyond the fence that he nailed..... On his back ! Would have been an EAZY $10K winner on America's Funniest Videos. Probably in the running for the $100K grand prize.

Gun show in AM, several new vendors so I'm not sure what I might find. Looking for Mossberg .22 rifle parts, a buddy collects them.(?!?) Nice thing about working a show, early look-around once in a while is in my favor. And after the show starts, I'm the guy that checks guns in that folks bring in to the show, so I get a good look. Never bought anything like that, but the potential is there. :) Still looking for a mate to my AutoMag....