08:40 PM

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by wabash, Jan 10, 2001.

1. VN350X10

VN350X10

The fence repair project is still in planning stage, need to finalize plans before I start spending time or $$$ as I really hate to waste either on a project that's required.
    Wasting either on a HOBBY, however is quite acceptable ! :highfive:

engineer151515 likes this.
  2. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Lack of prior planning has likely been the progenitor of many a hobby. Once, you've painted yourself into a corner and gotten stuck, you've got too much invested in a bunch of junk to shelve it. So, a very logical rabbit hole to continue down into is developing some expertise that will help you finish the project. Once you get your Frankenstein imaginarium project completed you know how to do it better for next time. :fishing: It kind of draws you in....

3. VN350X10

VN350X10

Hence the old adage...
    "Measure 3......
    Cut 1 ....."

4. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Yeah, so the closest I can come to your post hole digging tractor auger is this little foot claw aerator, which does two plugs at a time. I'm going to wait until it rains first, then I'll use it where I'm going to try some Molate Red Fescue. Some parts of my adobe front yard are fairly compacted and nothing survives the summer there. It'll be fun to see how the 'native' seed does.

5. VN350X10

VN350X10

FWIW....this weeks mowing adventure was #15 for the "normal" yard this year, plus some additional pasture mowing that took down some native weeds that were over 4' high. A lot of the stuff this year could have been baled if we had the equipment.(it HAS been discussed)
    The yard is still showing signs of too much moisture in spots. :alex:

6. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Yikes. I haven't mowed my lawn for a month and a half. If I don't over water it, it doesn't grow much.

7. VN350X10

VN350X10

And add this......as of 0400 hrs today, it's been raining AGAIN ! :alex:
    My friend Larry in AZ would LOVE to see it, as they have several wildfires within 100 miles of his place :nailbiting:

8. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

You guys and your summer rain. Who'd have thunk it?

9. VN350X10

VN350X10

Not my idea, that's a fact ! I've burned more in fuel this year mowing than I have in a really long time, and the way it's going(growing?) it's not going to stop before November !
    I knew we were in for a long summer after the first mowing,(on a friday) and I was out with the snow-blower the next morning:faint:then needed the front-end loader bucket to finish !
    A normal summer, this has been.....NOT !

10. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

It sounds like San Francisco weather. It'll be clear down here (48 miles away) but I'll notice that San Jose Airport is landing planes from over the bay (instead of taking them off in that direction). What that means is that SFO is fogged in and they are taking planes off toward the south (opposite of their normal pattern). It'll be hotter than the blazes down here and we'll be crossing our fingers for some cool coastal air; but, to no avail. Sure enough, that hilly cesspool by the bay will be cool and foggy, while we cook. It'd be an awesome place to live if there wasn't a city there .... or even if there were just decent people living there.

11. VN350X10

VN350X10

Oh, like Chicago.....the people screw up a beautiful city. :dunno:
    But before there was a city there, it was all swamp/wetlands. Even the Algonquin Indian name that Chicago was derived from referred to the foul smell that came off of it in summer's heat !
    The predominant plant in the area is a weed known as "skunk cabbage". :faint:

12. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

13. VN350X10

VN350X10

The happenings in/around the Horicon Marsh in WI are interesting to say the least !
    I've had occasion to shoot ducks there a few times in the last 50 or so years, usually it's my lack of wing-shooting skills that handicap me, but it's still a lot of fun !
    It IS, however, far, far cheaper for me to just BUY ducks from the supermarket based on cost per Lb. !

14. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I bought duck twice last year. That is one lean animal. Even the ranch raised ones I can get at the market are pretty much fat free.

15. VN350X10

VN350X10

Only lean compared to goose! But when prepped on a Weber, un-stuffed, indirect on grate, 11 min. per Lb. it comes out even more tasty.
    Apple wood is your choice for a bit of smoke flavor, don't want to over-power the taste of the duck. A drip pan is necessary. And a meat thermometer is your friend here, It's criminal to over-cook it. A very slight pink in the breast meat when sliced is about perfect. I prefer the dark meat on fowl, but duck is the exception. If you do an orange glaze, put it on in about the last 10-15 min. of cooking time so it doesn't scorch. Light brown sugar & the drained syrup from a can of Mandarin oranges is a good match. Pin the orange segments to the duck before roasting, using toothpicks, and don't be afraid of coverage :eat:.
    I serve it this way to folks who "Don't like duck" and NEVER have leftovers ;)

16. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Cooked up about three pounds of my bargain $1.99 a pound tri tip roasts. Easy meal, cut up potatoes, carrots, celery and threw it all together with some herbs de provence in a circulon pan for an hour and a half. Even junior ate it.

17. VN350X10

VN350X10

Making it any easier would have called for a quick braise for flavor & then dump into a Croc-Pot !
    Any wine in the pan to de-glaze it ?

I got real lazy tonight....cheezeburgers (swiss)

18. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I'm the only one who loves crock potted food. We have a ton of leftovers so I get the night off from cooking tomorrow. Two types of salmon ( I tried a Martha Stewart recipe and substituted my patented chipotle, garlic, and onion mix) for soy sauce and wine. Roasted chicken, and tonight's tri tip. I might have to buy some bread tomorrow.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  19. VN350X10

VN350X10

If a recipe calls for wine, I usually don't eliminate it, but I HAVE been known to put a cup or two in the cook....:p

Tonight it's going to be shrimp, probably on the grill, so it's almost time to soak the skewers. Using 2 instead of 1 thru the food makes it much easier to handle & flip. Might do some cherry tomatoes with them, will go out in the garden & see what's ripe. Small onion pcs. might fall on there also, still some left from the salsa ;)

I just made a fresh batch of salsa, tomatoes from our garden, peppers (red&green) from a neighbor, onion was bought (none in the garden this year :( and cilantro from the butterfly garden. Might be a tad on the warm side for some folks, but I can see it evaporating here with some chips & beer ! Just a touch of salt (1/2 tsp.) and about 1 tsp. of sugar to blend the flavors.
    Too bad I'm out of chips,:( but that will give it time in the fridge to assimilate better !

20. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Out of chips!! Blasphemy. And, I just went to the store.
    Nobody like my salmon with the modified Martha Stewart sauce. And I just bought bread
    = epiphany!! How does a salmon sandwich sound? Time for lunch hour Adam 12.