close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

'06 to '07 H-D Big Twin personal comparisons?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by Keith E., Aug 2, 2006.

1. Keith E.

Keith E.

I'm looking at taking the plunge again (about 15yrs w/o) and was hoping to find someone who's had their butt on both bikes for a real world evaluation.

I rented an '06 Street Glide and enjoyed the 88" injected motor. It pulled good but as I mentioned it's been about 15 years since the '81 Sporty, '81 Low Rider, and '82 Wide Glide left my foolish hands. Going to rent an Ultra this weekend as they didn't have any EG Standards in the rental fleet.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Keith

2. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

Check out the v-twinforum, some people have bought the 07's and have pretty good results so far from the sounds of it.

I think my primary consideration would be that this bike (the 07) is a new motor and transmission, and as such, is liable to have some type of quirks with it (I heard something like 70 new parts in the motor and tranny). The TwinCam 88 that came out in 1999 had it's share of first year quirks, and quite honestly, Harley took quite a while to get on the ball and fix the issue (ie, recall, warranty issues).

The 06 models you can probably get a better deal for, and (at this point) will be easier to modify. 07's and later years are going to be tough to do any modifications to for awhile (thank you EPA!)

I have an 05 Electra Glide Standard, and wouldn't change it for an 07 if my life depended on it!

Good luck! :cool:

3. Keith E.

Keith E.

Thanks for the quick response and info.

Thanks, Keith

4. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Neither motor, nor transmission are "new." 6 speed has been under "user testing" for over a year now with many thousands of happy owners. Big bores have been a regular mod for over three years now, with millions of user miles contributing to the data base.

I could live without the motor -- don't really see the need for it. My twine cam goes faster than I care to go and way faster than the chassis is designed for. This is NOT a pursuit bike, it is a "patrol" bike. You are warned not to exceed 85 miles per hour on the FL frame. Every evo and twin cam ever made will make the bike go faster than that.

The six speed is another matter, I think. I sometimes want to go 75-80 and wish there was an overdrive gear to do it with. I wish I had a six speed.

So, I have mixed feelings about the new bikes. Do, however, get the Ultra. It is a bargain when you consider all that it comes with. In fact, most loaded harleys are a bargain when you consider the aftermarket cost of their accessories.

That being said, there are some good deals on used bikes since the anniversary. Don't get a bike older that 2002. There were MAJOR chassis changes that year that carry over to present and make a BIG difference in the handling of the bike compared to earlier models.

5. WellArmedSheep

WellArmedSheep NRA Member

You're right about nothing very new going on here, but the way they went about making the TC96 is a little different than you describe. The TC96 is a stroked version of the TC88, the bore is the same size as it's been since '99. If a TC96 owner does go the next step with a big bore kit, he'll end up with a 103" motor.

6. WellArmedSheep

I'm guessing that you'll be going with an EGS? The standard Electra Glide is a great value if you're not wanting all that radio stuff. I've never understood how a Road King could have an MSRP of nearly $1000 more than an EGS, considering all the extra guages and the fairing surely cost more to produce than a windshield. Oh well, I guess it works out for both of us, as I'll be picking up a new EGS in a couple months as well. ;)

7. Lowrider 49

Lowrider 49

I ordered an '04 Ultra (I have 2 Harley's ('73 Ironhead and a 03 Lowrider, a Buell, a 1200 Bandit and 2 Kawi dirt bikes (125 and 200) now) and the dealer raised the price 10% when it arrived so I told them to get bent and bought a Victory Touring Cruiser for $3K less and love it. It is smoother and faster than the TC 88 and rides almost as good as a Goldwing and better than the Ultra. I have a 92" and a 5 speed with an OD pully which gives me 2.8K at 70 mph. My Lowrider is running 3400 at 70. I love the Harleys, but give the other American bike a look...it has a lot going for it!!

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I'm definitely not a cruiser type, but the two times I test rode the Victory Kingpin I was impressed by its braking and handling.

9. Lowrider 49

Lowrider 49

If yo liked the Kingpin, you gotta try the Hammer....100 inches and 6 speed!

10. DM-SC

DM-SC

There are a lot more internal differences between the TC88 and the TC96 than just displacement.

TC96 Info

Though I agree that a TC88 is plenty of power...I completely disagree with "way faster than the chassis is designed for". The chassis (and the entire bike) have been updated over the years and are plenty cabable of exceeding 80 mph with failure.

Is it particularly safe to go 80, 90 or 100+ mph on a morotcycle? I'd say it depends. Rider skill (or lack there of), where the ride is taking place, weather, etc. play roles in determining "safe".

The design of the bikes is NOT a problem, however.

11. wolfy692005

wolfy692005 pro tinkerer

i have a custom with a 100" evo and a six speed... i am putting it up for sale and looking for a new 07 harley dresser and will get the larger engine, the twin cam is a-okay now, and a 6 speed is a must after having one..
    a new bike is in my future this year.

12. DM-SC

DM-SC

Yeah...for a little extra coin you can have a 110" motor...:cool:

13. Lowrider 49

Lowrider 49

I got a little feedback from the owner of a custom shop in Maryland today. He said the TC96 is so choked up and detuned that it doesn't run as strong as a stage 1 TC 88 with average after market pipes and a K&N air filter. He said he heard that Power Commander is being asked (forced) by Harley to keep their chips mild for the new engine to keep EPA standards in line. Just someone's opinion.

14. WellArmedSheep

I take everything I hear from any shop, indy or factory, with a grain of salt. There's a shop within 50 miles of me that's a pretty straight-shooter most of the time. The owner of an indy about 15 miles from me is so full of BS that you have to wear waders into his shop.

15. DM-SC

DM-SC

I haven't ridden one myself...but, I have spoken to two owners of '07's.

One said that his had more power than his TC88 stage 1.

The second, who had a 95" motor stated that it was about the same. He said it would hard to tell the 95" from the new TC96 just riding around.

Heck, I say line em' up at the srtip and or put 'em on a dyno. That's the only way to know for sure... :)