close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

'04 Z06 vs '05 Base vs '06 GTO vs GenI Viper Thougths?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by nikerret, Feb 26, 2010.

1. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

I've been dreaming too long and it's getting to the point I will have to pull the trigger. I want a fast car that I can take to the track and romp around in on nice days; not a daily driver. I'm looking for a driver's car. TC has to be able to be turned completely off and I'll probably kill the ABS, too.

Any thoughts on what the best car would be for driving experience and speed (both acceleration & top speed) between these vehicles kept stock. I really prefer corners and have no interest in drag racing.

I'm looking at an '04 Z06, an '05 base Vette, an '06 GTO, or a first Gen Viper. Anyone with experience in any of these vehicles, please let me know your thoughts on them. I have never driven any of them. Obviously, some will require more time saving money for them than others.

I would really like a 0-60 time less than 4.5, but has to be less than 5 seconds. Preferred top speed >180.

Any other vehicles that may fit the bill will be considered. Has to be able to be purchased for less than $30K.

2. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

The 04 ZO6 is going to be the fastest and most practical. The Gen 1 Viper *may* turn the best number on a track(road course), however, it is going to have the lowest top speed, Gen 1 Vipers are only good to about 165 or so.

3. KDawg0007

KDawg0007

I own a 2006 goat and it is no track car. It's a blast in a straight line and has pleanty of power. For me to consider it fun at the track I would have to upgrade the whole suspension setup and brakes. I think of it more as a modern muscle car done right from the factory. There are alot of GTO owners that autocross them but they are not factory stock.

If it's a track car you want I would look more at the Z06 or 1st gen viper. They were designed with the twisties in mind.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  4. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

Z06 hands down

5. loki993

loki993

Well you say you don't want a Daily and you want a pure drivers car so I would throw out the GTO and the Base 05 right off. That leaves the Viper and the Z06. Personally I would get with the C5 Z06, something I will probably have some day myself. I believe they can be had, especially in this economy, for around 20K. They're slippery and with that 6 speed I believe they're capable of 23+ MPG highway. you will find tons more after market parts out there for a Vette compared to a Viper if for some reason its not fast enough for you. Parts for a Viper, performance or otherwise, are very expensive. The C5 Z06 in stock form is probably plenty fast enough, but with just a cam I believe they can be capable of low 11 second to high 10 second quarter mile times. I have no direct experience with these cars I will say, but I have done tons of research on the Z06 as I was planning on buying one when I lived in Florida. I now live in Kansas and make a fair bit less money so thats been put on hold for now. Basically in my opinion there is no better performance per dollar bargain than a C5 Z06. Although while not as fast, old 911s are pretty cool too. However for the money your looking to spend you're looking at a late 80s, maybe early 90s one, I believe.

6. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Have driven the Z06 and a couple generations of Viper. I would get the Viper, hands down. The Vette is the sweet attractive girl you bring home and show mom. The Viper isn't so polite or refined, she's the slutty girl who burps in public makes out with the strippers at the club.

You want to go to bed with the Viper. Trust me.

7. KK40384

KK40384

Having driven all of the above except the 05 vette, here's my opinion"

For your purpose the Z06 will fulfill that role very well. The GTO is overweight compared to the other selections kinda sluggish but it would make the best daily driver of the bunch. Since you're not looking for that there's nothing it can do for you the other can't do better. Now the 1st Gen Viper is by far the most uncomfortable car I've ever been in. I'm 5'7" and feel cramped at all times. I can't last more than 45 minutes in that car without wanting to get out and stretch. Fun to drive though and gets you more attention than you want. The Z06 is way more comfortable just as fast if not faster around a track in the right hands. Way more forgiving in the handleing department compared to the Viper and not to mention aftermarket parts are slighlty less expensive than the Viper.

Some may disagree with this but that is MY opinion only.

8. TurboTalon

TurboTalon

Put it this way my turbo eagle talon can beat 6.0 GTO dont buy one!

9. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

Z06, no contest. Lightest, best power to weight ration, best brakes, best handling. It will cream the GTO and eat the Viper on any kind of road course unless there is a great disparity among drivers and the Viper really has room to stretch. If road racing is your thing you would be hard pressed to do better than the car with one of the best class records in GT and ALMS for almost a decade.

10. SIUC4

SIUC4 Glockness

I would take the Viper, It is more of an exotic car, since the 04 and 05 vettes have not yet gotten there like the latest models. You will have a more WOW factor, and the car is a better track car, as stated above your not gonna get the top speed that you will in the z06, but the Viper will get there much faster. I have had the ability to drive both, the Viper is a much harder car to drive than the z06 so keep that in mind!

11. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

The Z06 is a great car for zipping around Florida.

12. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

Z06 hands down--with a slight nod to the Viper.

13. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

I would also very seriously consider a 3000gt, the AWD and twin turbo V6 version. Less than 10k purchase price..........20k in mods will make it an EXTREMELY formidable street or track weapon.

14. woodasptim

woodasptim

15. Stang_Man

Stang_Man

Z06 all the way. GTO's are nice, but too heavy for the track. Base C6 is just boring IMHO. Gen 1 Viper's look way outdated, but perform decently.

Bang for the buck and pure track experience, shoot for the Z06. Light, handles like mad from the factory, and has a huge racing and aftermarket base if you decide to go those routes.

Unless of course you're building a car for a sanctioned racing class, for that I'd t hrow a cage in a Miata or RX7 and call it good.

Arron "24 Hours of Lemons Racer"

16. CZ guy

CZ guy

It's really no contest given your goals: the Z06 is, hands down, the only track car of the group worth considering.

Gen I Viper - Porky, crude & poorly designed suspension, nothing special in the corners, parts more expensive than the rest.

GTO - Porkiest of the bunch, simply not a track car. Skinny tires with no clearance for more meat, seating position sucks, insufficient brakes, stock suspension not up to the task.

It boils down to the two 'vettes, and I'd go with the Z06. The C5 'vette is a true sports car. Best suspension design of the bunch, pulls more Gs in a corner than the others can dream to and you can stick DOT R-compound tires on it and it's just that much better/fun on the track. It's handling characteristics (ironically) are better than the C6 Z06 stock - the C6 is quite temperamental on the track.

Trust me on this... I have years on track experience both at "track days" as driver & instructor and wheel-to-wheel racing under my belt.

17. CZ guy

CZ guy

Um, no. There aren't any 4000 lb. cars I can think of that make good track cars. The "cool factor" of the 300gt has long since expired (rightfully so) in most circles.

18. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Want a driver's car? Then get the Lotus Elise or Exige.

The GTO is a cool car but it has the suspension of a pig.

19. SVTNate

SVTNate Packers fan

The Zed, hands down.

'04 had the kinks worked out, Zed motor, Zed suspension and brakes, and 30k should net you a very clean one.

GTO is a bathtub with a decent motor, nothing more. It's ugly to boot... If Ford had built a Taurus coupe in the late 90's, that'd be it.

Gen 1 Viper... nah. Fun car, but not as capable as the Zed.

If you don't care about impressing the girls, 30k will get you a lot of car in the Subaru WRX/STi and Mitsu Lancer Evo as well, but based upon what you're looking at already, I doubt they fit the bill, and I totally understand that. Just another couple good performance bargains to consider, albeit sedans, ugly, and a bit childish.

30k will get you a very clean E46 M3 as well, which lacks the power of your other choices but the fit/finish/feel/brakes/suspension are killer, and it's no slouch in acceleration either.

It'd get you a late-model... what, '01-'02 /// M Shoe (M Coupe) too, which has the Euro-spec M3 motor from that era (not the 240HP US motor), and looks like a lot of fun.

30k will also get you a very clean Porsche 996 Carrera, but it'd be a base model, no turbo, no S.

I'm not sure if any of those appeal to you, but I'm just throwing out some options in your price range that I happen to like.

20. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Z06

Don't even consider the Viper unless it's purely for nice days. Roof and windows come in handy now and then.