“If it rattles, take it to battle”.....

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Bobcatbaseball35, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Bobcatbaseball35

Bobcatbaseball35

The implication of this quote being that tolerances that are too tight don’t mesh well with use in the real world. Where did I learn this quote from?? I think if memory serves it was made by a world war 2 vet speaking of the 1911 pistol. You wanted one that rattled....has looser tolerances to be more reliable. Anybody else ever heard this quote?

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk mobile app

2. 1L26

1L26

You may all go to Hell and I will go to TEXAS!
    Yep! Years ago!

ede likes this.

3. DonD

DonD

Better quality commercial 1911s prove that sloppy clearances aren't necessary to have accurate and reliable guns. Maybe if you want to drag your high quality 1911 through the mud, the gun with looser clearances might be more resistant to failure but maybe not.

I'll stick with modern products. Don

4. irish_ironsight

irish_ironsight

Am I the only one who uses the term "Battle Rattle" when referring to full gear.

it was taught to me year 's ago by a vet.

tacticaljoey and BOOSTED12A like this.
  5. collim1

collim1

InRangeTV’s mud tests have proven that theory unreliable IMO.

Tight tolerances, proper lubrication, and a design that seals the internals up from outside contamination seem to have a much greater influence in reliability in harsh conditions than just “loose tolerances” in general.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    R_P_K_, Tito's Glock, pgg00 and 3 others like this.
  6. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

I had a Kimber Stainless Classic Gold Match that was tight. Never rattled. I would not trust is in a defensive situation. It only ran flawlessly when it was cleaned and freshly lubed. It was a nice range toy, but very accurate for an OOB 1911.

7. sourdough44

sourdough44

To much ‘rattle’ may give your position away to the adversary. A metallic ‘click’ at the wrong time is like a bullhorn going off.

CanyonMan likes this.
  8. bac1023

bac1023

Well the Springfield Pro proved to be one of the most reliable 1911’s available and it’s very tight:

Not sure how much mud testing was done, but it’s a very reliable 1911.

rfd339 likes this.
  9. cheygriz

cheygriz God Bless Trump

10. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

No. Full battle rattle meant all of your load bearing gear, armor, pro-mask and weapon when I was in as well.

11. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO Gunslinger

It has been my experience that when it comes to 1911 pistols, the ones built to tighter tolerances seem to be more reliable than the looser guns. Then again, I haven’t dragged any of them through the mud, but that has been my experience under normal conditions.

12. Retiredguns

Retiredguns

When we issued M1911's at the Armory, some would shake it and say, "Hey, this thing rattles like crazy" We would look at them and say "So" I did hand select my duty pistol and it usually had no rattle and was finely massaged. I remember the day I found a US&S and claimed it like a winning lottery ticket.

CAcop and glock1097 like this.
  13. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

Here's a great rattler', the Japanese WW2 Arisaka type 38 and type 99 rifle. It's dustcover was so noisy flopping around many soldiers just pulled them off and threw them away.

14. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Bummer for the line dogs.

Armorers in my day were assigned to headquarters and weren't gonna see anywhere near the action the other companies would.

Too bad you couldn't do armorer things and fix them...

15. WT

WT Millennium Member

Night trench raid instructions during WWI called for the 1911 to be carried in the hand, round in the chamber, hammer down and smeared with mud so it would not shine.

Bring back only 3 prisoners and kill any others that may have been captured.

We learned all that stuff from the Canadians. They were masters of trench raids.

16. Retiredguns

Retiredguns

I was painting with a broad brush. We indeed used our rubber mallets, vice, tools, bench blocks, stones, etc.. to tweak many a pistol. We did not have the time to massage every single 1911. They were all functional and very serviceable.

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  17. Tito's Glock

Tito's Glock

Waiting for the rattle expert......

#CanyonMan

CanyonMan likes this.
  18. majorbanjo

majorbanjo

We used to laugh at how worn and loose the old M16's were while at the same time I could get in the prone and drill 300 meter targets one after the other with iron sites.....yeah they rattled....

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  19. Retiredguns

Retiredguns

Prone at 300 meters? We ran while eating C-rats and shot at that distance LOL. Didn't get down until at least 500 meters! The M16 could hit a 8" circle at 500 meters in the windy rain with iron sights.

rfd339 likes this.
  20. majorbanjo

majorbanjo

True....Army qualification required prone pop up targets out to 300 meters and that's what we trained for(25 years regular Army and retired)......recently noticed marines are still shooting to 500 meters but doing it with optics now....I never shot an optic on a M16....but these days it's the only way I could hit a 500 meter target with my old eyes....:cowboy: