‘McJobless in Seattle’ as order screens are now used..

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tic-tok-GLOCK, Sep 9, 2015.

1. tic-tok-GLOCK

tic-tok-GLOCK

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

That was a long time coming.

3. Random

Random Banned

Isn't it more likely that the change to touchscreens is falling directly in line with technological advancement and that trying to tie it in as being created/fuelled because some people want a minimum wage hike is just convenient propaganda for the soft-headed?
    These did exist in Europe, right?
    Technology still changes?
    We've been doing trial runs at select fast food vendors in the US for a couple years now.
    The article starts out "Why the liberals might think....." Dude, be smarter than that.

Paul53 likes this.
  4. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Economics is the biggest barrier to automation. Automation is very under-utilized in this country because quite often labor is cheaper. It's also more flexible, but for enough money you can make automation do anything.

A higher minimum wage will be more fuel for this kind of thing. Is it the cause of this? Certainly not, as these have been in use for years and were not developed overnight. But a higher minimum wage will result in these being utilized at a faster pace.

5. JMS

JMS 02

The fact that McDonald's operates as a production line should make it very easy to automate every part of the process. They can't seem to get an order right if their life depended on it and I certainly don't go there for the charming personalities behind the counter.

Automate it from beginning to end. Need 1-2 people per store to keep the tables and bathrooms clean and load up the various products from the freezer to the 'hoppers' to hold the product.

http://www.gizmag.com/hamburger-machine/25159/

72Cheyenne and Paul53 like this.
  6. Random

Random Banned

Okay, I see how that could tip the scales if you were on the fence and, going through the mental movie in my head, I can't imagine the boardroom guy NOT bringing up minimum wage when trying to sell the others on it.

nitesite10mm likes this.
  7. Z71bill

Z71bill

It all sort of boils down to how long it will take to payback the investment.

The higher the wages the more you save - so the less time it takes to pay back the investment.

It seems like the bank ATM replacing the teller is a good example of what will happen to the fast food order taker.

Raising wages in the face of lower cost technology will cause more companies to install them - the more companies that install them the lower the cost of the technology will become allowing more companies to adopt it.

I also think once people get use to them they will prefer using the automating order taker VS using a human.

8. fastbolt

fastbolt

It's unsurprising to consider that rising labor costs would spur an accelerated use of automation. History provides hints.

Naturally, accelerating the rise of labor costs via a huge increase in the minimum wage would certainly be added incentive to adopt automation to better balance the profit margins for the owners of companies. They aren't charity organizations, after all.

Another socially created impetus to increasing the use of automation would be to help mitigate health care costs paid by employers.

How is any of this a surprise?

Businesses will be able to better manage their costs and profit margins, and more people may join the unemployed and under-employed groups within large urban centers.

Taxpayers will then pay more for many products (to help offset the cost of increasing investment in automation), and will probably have to pay increased taxes to help defray the cost of providing benefits to people who have been put out of work, or who have part time employment but still require assistance.

Unintended, but predictable, consequences.

OGW and Cubdriver like this.
  9. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Shark!

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

10. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

The fast food place I am at doesn't have them.

Of course I ordered a lahmacunn so maybe that is why.

11. robbcayman

robbcayman

I had a recent spat between Devil Dog and another member regarding automation in the work place and how over time it will take a ton of jobs. Kiosks will be huge in the near future.

Business owners' only goal is to maximize revenue, not create jobs. This is why I believe the government will need to issue employer tax credits in the future to incentivize the hiring of employees.

tattooo likes this.
  12. PBCounty

PBCounty

I've seen the automation thing come and go at a number of local "sit down" restaurants well before the $15 an hr. folk got their media time. It seems customers don't like it. I know I refuse to go to a place that doesn't have waitresses (they are why I go out to eat). Maybe it will fly in the fast food arena, maybe not. It was going to be given a test flight regardless of the wage conversation...maybe it just got sped up a bit. I remember reading about models of FULLY automated McDonald's (like cooking, everything) in a 1994 magazine.

Bruce M likes this.
  13. eb07

eb07 Sharkin'

Idiocracy kiosks

[​IMG]

nursetim likes this.
  14. JMS

JMS 02

There's a time and place for it. If McDonald's could turn 2x as many customers during the lunch rush both parties would be happy. Fast and accurate means a lot more in fast food than building rapport with a 40 year old hs drop out.

OGW, stevelyn and Bruce M like this.
  15. fastbolt

fastbolt

I've little doubt the convenience of easier communication will please any number of consumers.

Bruce M likes this.
  16. ARP

ARP

Already exists in a place called Sheetz. Far larger menu options than McDees, they pay about $10 hour, main function of the workers there is to process orders, stock shelves, clean up, collect loot. Food is on par with any fast food joint, Subs, burgers, pizza, sides, salads. You come in, tap out your order on the touch screen, receipt generated, pay, pick up food. Some locations have a seating area. Fufoo coffees too. The future of fast food has arrived.

17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I've been saying that for a LONG time. I will be more likely to eat fast food as they take the idiots at the counter out of the process. In fact, I'd probably eat at that Eatsa place, in spite of the quinoa menu, just because of the automation.

With a computer screeen, you could probably also press a button for a random middle eastern or African language, if you wanted a more authentic fast food experience.

nitesite10mm, Bruce M and fastbolt like this.
  18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I am yet to see it. I have seen a couple of places put a touch screen on the table, but they never seem to have all of the functions enabled, so it basically becomes an electronic dessert menu where you can pay money to play some ridiculous game you could play on your phone for free. I'd love to have one that let me order and pay without a waitress.

19. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

The touch screens have existed in Europe for quite a while, and were put there because of the same reason - namely that Europe's minimum wage laws and benefits packages made them a justifiable expense.

Technology has changed, and will continue to do so, but trying to argue that doubling the minimum wage somehow doesn't impact the cost/benefit analysis when considering things like whether or not to replace minimum wage workers with touch screen kiosks is a fool's errand.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  20. janice6

janice6

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” Milton Friedman