close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Zoo all to myself!!

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by airmotive, Jan 30, 2009.

1. airmotive

airmotive
    Expand Collapse
    Tin Kicker

Those of you in the midwest know this first hand...we've had a weee bit of snow this week. So I took advantage of a day off work and took my shiny new 70-200 f/2.8L to the Indianapolis Zoo. Lo and behold, I was the only....I mean the ONLY paying customer there. I had the run of the place!

The dolphin trainers took me up onto the stage for the 10:30 dolphin show.:tongueout:
    It's not really a show if the only member of the audience is also on stage....so we had a training period with the dolphins and I got to interact and take some really great shots.
    All the other displays we're mine for the shooting....

You simply can't beat a deserted zoo when it comes to getting a feel for a new lens!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo
    Expand Collapse

I love those meerkats. You've got a great capture there.

3. Fred

Fred
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Yep, sure is. The tiger shot is pretty soft, but the meerkats and the other two are great!

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty
    Expand Collapse

I love the meerkat, too.

I would love to get some one-on-one time with the dolphins like that. They are the most amazing creatures!

5. fgutie35

fgutie35
    Expand Collapse

And here I thought you were going to describe the best hunt of your entire life to us.:rofl::rofl:

6. airmotive

airmotive
    Expand Collapse
    Tin Kicker

Ahhh...the tiger. That photo is a cry for help.

Here's the delima. I was shooting through TWO chain link fences. In order to make the fences go away, I had to use 2.8 aperature, which naturally left me with a very narrow field of focus.

I wanted to get a frontal shot of the tiger's face. The problem is, the cat would never stop pacing around. The only time I could get a good frontal shot was when he was walking towards me. The fencing prevented the AF from having a clue. So I was stuck with picking a focus point and 'spray and pray'. The picture posted here was the best of 30+ shots. :rant:

There must be a better way! However, I don't know what that is.

Any advice?:help:

FWIW, the meerkats were also shot through some pretty grungy glass, but they have the courtesy to stand still.

#6 airmotive, Jan 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  7. Fred

Fred
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member Lifetime Member

I am far from an expert, but can tell you that when faced with a similar situation, I use manual focus. This does a couple of things for you. It allows a smaller aperture, and keeps the auto focus from hunting trying to figure out what to focus on.

8. airmotive

airmotive
    Expand Collapse
    Tin Kicker

For the tiger I had to use manual focus - due to the double fences I was shooting through. The problem I was facing was getting a really sharp focus on the tiger as he walked towards me. In the end, I just picked a focus point, and waited for the tiger to walk through that point. However, the focus plane was so narrow that getting a sharp focus proved to be beyond my skill level.

I am revisiting the manual hoping to find a setting where the camera will fire immediately upon an object coming into the spot focus point. But I am not sure this exists on the 50D.