Zombie Max turns out to be a fairly hot load...

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by ViperGlock, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Online, the .40 S&W 165 gr "Z-Max" is advertised at 1045 fps...but the box says 1175 fps. Maybe the advertised and box are talking about different barrel lengths. I would like to see some chronograph results.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 ViperGlock, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  2. Yeah wait to see the chrono results. Hornady is usually a good bit lower than advertised. That round probably won't make it 1100fps out of a 4" on the chrono.

Their new Critical Duty ammo interests me FAR mor than their gimmick zombie ammo. http://www.hornady.com/store/Critical-DUTY-New

3. I'll pick up a box of .223 someday just for the box.

4. I see it more as a collector item too, but it's still nice to know it may have a little "zip".

5. They need to offer it in .357 SIG.

6. Too expensive for range use. Too much of a liability for defensive carry ("Not for use on humans" is on the package, so I hear) - an anti 2A lawyer would go to town on somebody who used this against an attacker IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

#6 GiveMeLiberty, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  7. Did they make it in 7.62x39 yet?

8. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

#8 Merkavaboy, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  9. What's wrong with steel cases?

My AK actually gets better accuracy with steel ammo.

I'm gonna get a couple boxes, just for collector value down the road.

10. They have .357sig Critical Defense. Thats as close as your going to get as of now. I like the .357sig but if I was Hornady I would not even bother with the Zombie ammo in .357sig.

11. Merkavaboy

Nothing is wrong with steel. It's just that people aren't going to be buying Z-Max for plinking ammo, so I thought it would have been nice for Hornady to stick with all brass cases.

12. The 7.62 isn't plinking, its V-max with new packaging, the rest seems to be critical defense.

13. I think it'd make a good HD round.

#13 UnjollyRoger, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  14. When I saw that 165gr advertised at 1045fps I had to laugh, not even most FMJ loads are that light. 1175fps advertised makes more sense though, it's basically a Critical Defense bullet with a different color plastic plug and a brass case. And the 165gr Critical Defense is advertised at 1175fps, one of the hottest advertised in .40SW.

15. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Where does it say that? I don't see it anywhere on my box..... :dunno:

16. I was going off of information I saw posted elsewhere. I guess it was incorrect. I haven't seen the product anywhere locally. Sorry [shrug]

17. OctoberRust

That's fine, just be careful before you spread rumors.

I don't know if I'd carry a 115 grain bullet going 1190 fps. At least for the price Hornady is selling these at.

18. I also thought it said something to the extent of "only for use on zombies"

19. Merkavaboy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GiveMeLiberty
    Too expensive for range use. Too much of a liability for defensive carry ("Not for use on humans" is on the package, so I hear) - an anti 2A lawyer would go to town on somebody who used this against an attacker IMO.

It's right on their website.

"Disclaimer: Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition is NOT a toy (IT IS LIVE AMMUNITION), but is intended only to be used on…ZOMBIES, also known as the living dead, undead, etc. No human being, plant, animal, vegetable or mineral should ever be shot with Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition. Again, we repeat, Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition is for use on ZOMBIES ONLY, and that's not a nickname, phrase or cute way of referring to anybody, place or thing. When we say Zombies, we mean…ZOMBIES!"

http://www.hornady.com/store/Zombie-Max-new

#19 Merkavaboy, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  20. OctoberRust

Well, I don't blame them. I certaintly wouldn't feel safe shooting those anemic rounds at an attacker either. :supergrin: