close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Zimmerman interview

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by lawson12, Jul 19, 2012.

1. lawson12

lawson12

May 26, 2012
    Does anyone else think it was a bad idea for him to do this? For one thing, I wouldn't have said I'm sorry it happened, I would have said I'm sorry it had to happen. Martin had a choice that night too. I say let the trial run its course before you go on TV.

2. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

Jun 14, 2005
    Ohio for now
    I sure do. It might be interesting to ask Massad Ayoob this question in his section.

3. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

Nov 4, 2007
    Nope. Don't see a problem with it at all.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. Cream Soda Kid

Cream Soda Kid

Jul 16, 2010
    Colorado
    I agree, in fact, I don’t believe I would have granted an interview at all.

5. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Sep 20, 2003
    Penn's Woods
    Zimmerman's lawyer (and his advice) scare me! George seriously needs to know when to shut up, remain completely silent, and wait. All he's showing his opponents, right now, is that he has little or no impulse control.

6. Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn E. Meyer

Feb 27, 2000
    TX
    From my read of the jury research, he has two problems:

1. Didn't show real regret.
    2. If he refuses to take the stand, then his story will be seen as manipulation. He has the right not to, but a SD claim admits you killed someone. It is not that you are claiming you didn't do it. Thus, the jury wants you to explain.

Given the evidence, we don't know - his story might be taken apart by a prosecution. He has set himself up to testify.

3. Last saying it was God's will can offend folks with sophisticated religious beliefs. He decided to do this or that, the Deity didn't predestinate this.

His dishonesty about money and child abuse charges (which a jury will have heard about and not ignore, despite instructions) don't aid his creds.

Thus, should have shut up.

7. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

May 1, 2004
    Iowa
    1. Your idea that he should show "real regret" for defending his life against a deadly assault, is ridiculous. If you carry/keep a weapon for self defense, you might want to re-think it.

2. Maybe.

3. Seriously??? Are you some sort of "sophisticated", liberal heathen?? He shouldn't express his feelings out of fear of offending someone?? Ridiculous!!

Mark my words... he will NOT be found guilty of 2nd degree murder.

8. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Millennium Member

Oct 6, 1999
    Virginia
    He is already convicted.

I wouldn't have done the interview.

9. Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn E. Meyer

Feb 27, 2000
    TX
    Regret - ridiculous? You didn't understand my post.

It was not an ideological attack on self-defense. That's your projection of views.

What I'm talking about is jury research on how you present yourself. If you take a life, the jury probably wants to see regret, even if it was a true villian. Not some gun internet fan attaboy, good kill attitude.

If you choose not to believe defense strategies for ideological views - good for you. Hope your lawyer has more sense.

10. lawson12

lawson12

May 26, 2012
    The world doesn't need to know everything before it goes to trial. And if you think you acted in SD and you still feel the need to explain yourself, you may come across as someone that's not so sure. I don't think he's the sharpest tool in the shed anyway. Regret? Dumb people's expressions are the same no matter the emotion.

11. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983

Sep 8, 2002
    dixie
    Why should he show regret for the killing of a scumbag? I believe he should have stayed in his car and let the real cops handle the situation, but he didnt and the thug attacked him for it. If anything GZ d the tax payers a favor by putting one more social parasite in the ground.

12. Misty02

Misty02

Aug 25, 2008
    Florida
    A potential for more inconsistencies if it finally gets to trial. I think it was a very bad idea!

13. Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn E. Meyer

Feb 27, 2000
    TX
    Geez, these are some of the silliest comments, I've seen. A lot of ranting that has nothing to do with a real trial.

I would say something stronger but I have common sense. I hope some readers have the rational abilities to understand what I said.

Trial tactics - duh. If you can't get that point, well - :rofl:

14. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

Dec 17, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    It really doesn't matter what he said or didn't say in the interview.

He should NOT have done it!

It really can't help him, but any inconsistencies can be used against him. In fact, the prosecution has already filed to have the interview used as evidence.

It is as if he thinks his trial is in the court of public opinion. I agree, the public will come to some decision, but what Zimmerman need to worry about is the court of Law. He should keep his mouth shut. "You have the right to remain silent." Use it, dummy!

I'm surprised his lawyer let him do the interview. But didn't the Penn state child molester guy do an interview too? Why in the world are they talking to the world? To gain more fame and cash in someday? To blame a negligent lawyer when they are found guilty? I really don't get it.

Examples of things that will be used against him include:

"I feel that it was all God's plan," he told Hannity. When asked if there was "anything you might do differently," Zimmerman responded, "No Sir."

But later, he said: "I do wish that there was something, anything I could have done that would have put me in the position that I wouldn't have to take his life," he said.

Those two statements from the same interview can undermine his credibility. And I don't think the whole "God's plan" thing will go over well in court either.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  15. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    The only reason that I can think for doing the interview is to attempt to sway public opinion. I see nothing gained from this move. Folks that hate him will still hate him. Folks that approve of his actions will still do so. And folks like me that won't cast judgement until all of the evidence is out there...will not be swayed in either direction.

However prosecutors will analyze his every word in the interview and look for inconsistencies to capitalize on during the trial.

Bottom line - an action that had nothing to gain and everything to lose. Seems like a bad decision to me.

16. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    How could Zimmerman's lawyer be so stupid as to let his client talk to the media, even an interviewer sympathetic to discovering the truth?

I heard on the news tonight that the prosecutor will surely use Zimmerman's statements against him. Zimmerman needs to fire his lawyer and seek competent legal counsel.

17. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

May 1, 2004
    Iowa
    I agree with your second sentence. As for the first, I wasn't aware the trial was already finished! You must be psychic or something. Either that or you believe the media's opinion actually means anything in a court of law.

18. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    I would not regret nor feel badly for defending myself.

Nope, I would not have been saying "im sorry" to everyone. Saying "im sorry" is darn near a acknowledgement of wrong doing in most situations.

Nope, I would not be talking in public. He probably disqualified a million conservative minded prospecitive jurors who saw the interview.

19. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Jan 20, 1999
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Didn't see it, but I agree with others, he should nothave done it. Remember "Anything you say, anywhere, any time, MAY be used against you in a court of law".

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012