close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

zev fulcrum vs vanek

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by kenndapp, Jul 18, 2012.

1. kenndapp

kenndapp

looking for an amazing glock trigger. the skimmer just didn't do it for me so i let it go. now its time for either a vanek classic or basic fulcrum kit. i have tried to do the connector thing, ghost rocket, polish job, 10k rounds through a stock glock trigger.....non of it satisfies me. right now i am working with the stock option because it beats the light mushy trigger pull i get when use the 3.5 connectors. the vanek and the fulcrum work in the same way ( as do most aftermarket triggers) but the fulcrum has a nice wide flat faced trigger......very desirable. the weight of the pull it self isn't very important because while the modified trigger bars reduce the pull weight by a little bit....most of what takes account for your actual pull weight happens in the springs. so you can use whatever combination of springs you want until you find your specific desired pull weight. but you knew that. what is important to me is the break. i want a clean break without creep or stacking. both the fulcrum and vanek are pretty well known. so is there anyone of you guys who has used both? which do you prefer? can you describe the trigger characteristics of either ( break, reset, overtravel, ext,ext) ??? thanks for your input.

2. zachm

zachm

Just curious what you didnt like about the skimmer trigger?

3. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Big Charlie Vanek fan here. Not only does he do great work and offer one of the best Glock trigger jobs out there IMO, he's also my neightbor. :cool:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  4. kenndapp

kenndapp

thanks for the response boys. the skimmer was ok. just not incredible. i own an old police trade in 2 pin 17. the trigger, connector, ext, ext are all very worn into each other. so my stock trigger is actually the nicest stock glock trigger i have ever felt. don't get me wrong it still could use some major improvement but compared to a new out the box gen 4 its fantastic. so when i drop in the skimmer it feels about the same only a bit lighter...4.5-5.0 lbs. the skimmer was an improvement but not a $165 improvement. hell, for about $30 less you can have a vanek classic...keep your stock springs and you will have a nicer trigger than the skimmer. or so i hear. i researched vanek trigger to death and have bombarded charlie with emails asking questions. fantastic guy to talk to btw. the vanek classic is my go to trigger for what i want to do but the fulcrum trigger just caught my eye and now i am torn. the wide flat face of the trigger shoe alone is cause to lead me away from the vanek. i always hated the shape of the glock trigger face. i am now in research mode on the fulcrum. i am hearing mixed reviews.

any fulcrum owners out there?

5. kenndapp

kenndapp

no one is running a fulcrum trigger?? really?

6. sciolist

sciolist

I have used both. I have Vanek in my match gun because it complies with Production rules. Vanek is a very good Production trigger... although I might be 5% down or so on classifiers with a bone-stock OE trigger, that's another story.

Based on Post #1, you should get the Zev. I think you will love it.

7. anomaly13

anomaly13

i've never used the vanek, so i can't say how it compares to the fulcrum on my g30 (about 800 rounds on the trigger so far)....but i will say i'll never own another glock without adding a fulcrum trigger to it...i had a ghost rocket and it was fine i suppose for the price, but i still hated the glock pre-travel....

compared to the stock trigger, the fulcrum has gotten rid of that long 'loose' pre-travel part prior to the trigger break....there is some pre-travel there, but it's not 'loose'...it's got some linear resistance throughout...from the very start of the pull up until a very crisp break....there is no over travel....it feels to me (trying to remember my stock trigger) that the length of the pull has been shortened a bit prior to the trigger breaking...

as for trigger reset, i do recall that the reset on the stock trigger is shorter...that's not to say the reset on the fulcrum is bad at all, but it could be better...you just have to let it out all the way....it's actually the only thing that disappoints me about this trigger....watch the crappy video i made...just got back from the range

i have the LE duty version which doesn't have the adjustment screws....i like to keep things simple and sitting there tweaking the stupid trigger isn't my idea of a fun afternoon..learned that after i spent an entire afternoon tweaking the ghost rocket when i got it...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/4nKv6sfELjE

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  8. kenndapp

kenndapp

I was going to go with the le duty version as well. Set screws that need ajusted by installing and removing your trigger 18 million times and then possibly back out and lock up you weapon sounds like a bad time to me also.

9. kenndapp

kenndapp

i would love to see this video......but it is marked private (cannot view) you need to make it public.

10. anomaly13

anomaly13

lol sorry....try it now

11. kenndapp

kenndapp

wow that seems like a looooong reset. is it as bad as it looks? can you describe how it felt? you seem to have some stacking as well? videos can be deceiving. if your finger isnt on the trigger you really have no idea how it felt. check this guy out he seems to have some stacking too.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejuKukE0YCQ"]Glockworx Fulcrum Trigger - YouTube[/ame]

12. anomaly13

anomaly13

you know, the long reset didn't start to bother me until i shot the video for you lol...then as i watched it myself, it started to really get to me....but i don't feel it has negatively affected my shooting at all...it looks worse than it really is, BUT you will feel the extra reset length when you're used to the stock trigger...

as for the video you posted, it seems like that guys trigger is 'sloppy' and looks like it's stacking...mine seems much more 'tight'....and as for the stacking, well, the best way i can describe my pull from start to finish is that the resistance is, on mine at least, maybe 90% linear up until the very crisp break...that last 10% is just adds a hair more resistance...and now that i play with it more, i need to check the safety plunger....

ok, just checked...
    when i first bought the trigger, (i bought the $180 one as i didn't want the skeletonized striker), it came with the titanium safety plunger...my gun chewed it up badly after 250 rds and i sent it back....glockworx was super helpful and sent out a replacement with a prepaid label for the damaged one....they gave me a long winded explanation about why my titanium plunger might have been chewed up....i think it was just a bad batch if i remember correctly...i just looked at the new one they sent (a couple hundred rds with it) and there are gouge marks on it...not as bad as the first one, but enough to make the pull less-than-super-smooth...and that might account for what looks like bad stacking in my video....i may consider dropping the stock plunger in the next time i head out to the range....i'm too tired to play with it tonight though...

13. SARDG

SARDG

I have a Fulcrum in my G34 racer and it is the easiest trigger in the world to "shoot the reset" - maybe because it's an extended reset. I simply love it though.

Anomaly's review seems spot-on to me.

Now... my mea culpa... I ordered a Vanek for my Gen4 G17 because I was 'curious'.

14. kenndapp

kenndapp

look at this guys fulcrum. this exactly what i am looking for. i don't know if the videos are misleading or if there the different tolerances in glocks are that extreme one trigger to the next. but this guys reset seems spot on and i cant see and stacking or creep. for those of you who own fulcrums.....does this video depict it accurately?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZdlEssmZFo"]Glockworx adjustable trigger kit in Glock 35 - YouTube[/ame]

15. hearsedriver

hearsedriver

Yes, the video is accurate. Having said that, I still prefer a stock Glock trigger (3.5 lb Glock connector/.25 trigger job). Just feels safer for me and, Ive learned to shoot it really well.

16. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

While my trigger setup has more pre travel, I have my ghost rocket setup the same way as that for reset. I know the fulcrum will be a lighter pull, I think you may want to see about getting your ghost rocket setup right. You also stated spending an "Afternoon" on the ghost trigger, it does not take that much time. If you'd like I can try to get a video of the trigger on my gun so you can see and compare to yours, send me a pm if you're interested.

FM :wavey:

17. anomaly13

anomaly13

i think the difference is that i was pulling my trigger slowly in the video which gave the impression of stacking....when pulled at the same speed, i have what i perceive is the same pull as the guy with the silver trigger...

18. anomaly13

anomaly13

i spent an afternoon on it because i'm mechanically declined and really anal sometimes :supergrin:

i was trying not to grind off too much with the dremel....and it was my first attempt at messing with the trigger, so there was this learning curve...thank goodness for that orange half plate haha...

if i decide to swap out my trigger for the stock/ghost one in the next couple weeks, i'll probably take a video and send it to you so you can tell me how it compares to yours...sometimes i miss that short reset from my stock/ghost setup....thank you for the offer

19. bigtimelarry

bigtimelarry

Having No Pre Travel is over rated. Get The Vanek Classic for 125.00 it is Fantastic..

20. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

Yes thank god for the orange plate lol. I would have no issue helping you out brother, if you need to I can walk you through the ghost setup via phone as well. I'm not trying to talk you out of the other two trigger setups, but I just feel you have not gotten all you can from the ghost trigger, and who knows, you might like it. Feel free to PM me anytime you're ready.

I'm in no way saying to anyone that a ghost trigger setup is the same thing as a Vanek, Fulcrum, etc, but it's a lot less expensive too, and IMHO, you can get just as good of a reset with the ghost part you will just have more pre travel, which is no big deal because it only affects your first shot anyways, after that you "should" be shooting off of the reset anyhow.

Just my $0.02