close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Zero vs. Precision Delta

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Bret, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Bret

Bret
    Expand Collapse
    Crimping Master

I've been reloading for years mainly using Zero bullets in 9mm and 40S&W. They're of good quality and I'm pleased with their performance. Recently they're out of some weights that I need. I don't shoot lead or plated. I noticed that Precision Delta offers the same weights, often at a significantly lower price. How does the quality of Precision Delta compare to Zero (consistency of weight, shape, length)? Are the jackets as thick? How about performance?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. njl

njl
    Expand Collapse

I've mostly loaded MG and PD 9mm 124gr, and PD and Zero .45 230gr. In 9mm, I hate to say it, but I think the PD has been the most accurate. I had an issue with my first couple of boxes of them, finding a bunch of bullets with split jackets, and PD blew me off when I emailed them about it (including very good quality pictures). In 9mm, MG's look nicer, seem to have better QC, and are a bit more expensive. I've more or less decided that I'll have to buy some more PD bullets, as much as I'd rather not.

In .45acp, I like Zero. They were actually the best price when I bought them last (between Zero, PD, and MG), and are very accurate. I see now that my source (shooters connection) has raised the price such that they're no longer the best price...but I really like their 230gr JHP, and PD doesn't seem to even make such a bullet.

3. squirreld

squirreld
    Expand Collapse

I run PD in 9, 40, and 45.
    NO issues.
    Run great.

Every now and then I get one with a messed up jacket.
    I toss it and keep rolling.

4. BK63

BK63
    Expand Collapse

If you are just punching paper at the range look at lead. A huge savings. Might want to look at an after market barrel if shooting a Glock just for safety's sake. I've been using a LW barrel for a couple years now shooting lead out of my G30 no issues and cheaper than plated.

5. Bret

Bret
    Expand Collapse
    Crimping Master

I don't reload lead. I had a very high reading about ten years ago, so I decided to avoid it. I mostly reload JHP's so the bullet base isn't made of exposed lead.

6. CCV

CCV
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

I've no expereince with Precision Delta bullets but Zero is excellent.

I've been loading Zero FMJ and JHP's in .45 ACP and their JHP's in 9mm. Not a single issue to report.

Good bullets.

7. rpgman

rpgman
    Expand Collapse
    SCGLOCK

I use Precision Delta on a recommendation from Ron but I would like to try zero.

8. CVO

CVO
    Expand Collapse

I load both the PD and Zero in .45, the Zero has been more consistent in diameter size.

9. buckshotshorty

buckshotshorty
    Expand Collapse

I've used both. I find that when i use my micrometer on loaded cases I get inconsistent measurements with the PD bullets. The seater die never changes, so I have to assume the shapes of the bullets are different.

10. CVO

CVO
    Expand Collapse

Powder Valley has the Zero's in stock.

11. Bret

Bret
    Expand Collapse
    Crimping Master

You teased me! They're also out of the 9mm :crying:124gr JHP's.

12. FLSlim

FLSlim
    Expand Collapse

I've used both and like both. PD are a bit cheaper, and that I like, but you really can't go wrong with either brand.

13. CVO

CVO
    Expand Collapse

#13 CVO, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  14. cysoto

cysoto
    Expand Collapse
    Gone Shooting!

I have shot quite a few thousands of each of these and, at least in 124gr 9mm bullets, Precision Delta wins the bout by a huge margin. Not only are PD bullets more accurate but, in addition you can find these in stock much more easily than you can find Zeros in stock.

In the past few months I have been shooting Montana Gold 124gr bullets and they are also producing better results than Zero bullets out of multiple 9mm pistols. Nonetheless, if I had to pick a clear winner for accuracy and manufacturing consistency, the winner would be Precision Delta.

#14 cysoto, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  15. ron59

ron59
    Expand Collapse
    Bustin Caps

I shot 5,000 9mm in 147gr... was very happy with them. I'm shooting Bear Creek molys right now to save some money though.

Montana Gold seems to be the most popular when they do surveys at the big national matches (IDPA and USPSA at least)... I've shot those more than anything else but they're slightly more expensive. Best thing about them is I've *never* seen them out of stock in what I shoot in 2+ years, whereas PD is out of stock on stuff quite often, at least in the heavier bullet weights.

16. nothing

nothing
    Expand Collapse
    Advertisement

I've shot both and prefer the PD over zero. I can't tell any difference as far as accuracy goes, but the price is better and they generally keep them in stock. If they are on backorder I've never had to wait more than 2 weeks.

I actually just bought 10k bullets from them, now I've just got to allocate some time for the reloading room.

17. Bret

Bret
    Expand Collapse
    Crimping Master

Thank you everyone for your help. It's good to know that there are several good choices out there. I decided to buy a case (3750) of the Montana Gold 124gr JHP's. I may try Precision Delta next time. I do wonder why Zero's prices seem to be about 20% higher.

18. cysoto

cysoto
    Expand Collapse
    Gone Shooting!

Simply because they can! There was a point in time when Zero's quality control was above everyone else's but, in the past few years they have relaxed their QC practices and they have been producing an inferior product. Most shooters still remember the "good ol' days" when Zero offered the best product and, since they always find their products to be unavailable, they think that paying the extra 20% is guaranteeing them a superior product. Nothing can be further from the truth...

They have a contract to supply a large European ammunition manufacturing company. This is why they don't go after the local retail purchaser and also the reason why their products always seem to be back-ordered.

19. cysoto

cysoto
    Expand Collapse
    Gone Shooting!

I should have added... The Montana Gold and Precision Delta 124gr JHP are very similar and, in my experience, they are capable of producing nearly identical results on paper.

At least out of my pistols, they seem to produce the best results when loaded at an OAL of 1.100"

20. CVO

CVO
    Expand Collapse

Your mailman will love you, I tell mine its fishing weights.:rofl: