Yugo Mags/Clean up

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by Civilian sheep Dog, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Just scored some Yugo Mags and their covered in cosmoline. I'm hearing the best way to clean em' up is Boiling water. Also mineral spirits etc. but I would like to keep it simple and go with Hot water, however wouldn't that cause a rust issue? Not worried about the outside of the mag so much but wouldn':whistling:t this cause a issue with rust on the inside of the mag?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Converting Yugo M85NP to rifle, need advice The Kalashnikov Klub Tuesday at 12:43 AM
    RANGE REPORT - CIA C39V2 & Yugo M92PV General Firearms Forum Jul 18, 2015
    Just ordered a Yugo M92 AK pistol from J&G sales The Kalashnikov Klub Mar 14, 2015
    WTS: Yugo AK Underfolder Firearms Listings Jan 30, 2015
    Yugo K98 General Firearms Forum Dec 15, 2014

3. Simple Green is your friend :wavey:

Take apart the mags and toss all the pieces into a bucket of simple green diluted with hot water. Use some old rags or shirts to wipe off whatever is left and you should be good to go.

To prevent rust dry them completely and apply a thin coat of oil.

4. I used a tool degreasing spray product we use at my job. I disassembled the mags and sprayed them down inside and out then wiped them thoroughly. May try the simple green next time.

5. .38 super

.38 super Observer

+1 to this.
    The other way is - put them in bucket with diesel fuel for over night, than disassemble, dry them off and put them together.

#5 .38 super, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  6. G23c

carb cleaner.

7. The ones I have been getting, I have used just a cheap cost brake clean. However, brake clean and carb cleaner will dry out the metal. After cleaning wipe them down with a light coat of gun oil to restore the moisture in the metal.

8. G23c

good point. :wavey:

9. I strip them down, and clean the main body of the mag along with the follower/baseplate in the sink with dishsoap as if they were pots and pans! Dry them off with a paper towl and reassemble. I leave the springs alone, simply because they seem like a pain to dry and a little grease would keep them from getting rust.

10. I too am a believer in Simple Green. It gets the grease off with a little work. I have a Yugo underfolder and plenty of the Yugo mags for it. They sure liked their cosmoline over there.

11. I've always disassembled them as much as I could and soaked for a while in solvent (usually Hoppes 9 for me) and then cleaned with a brush and oiled liberally afterwards.

12. Wifes dishwasher?