close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Your Wackiest Pursuit

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Hack, Sep 21, 2011.

1. OLY-M4gery

OLY-M4gery

Nov 7, 2001
    Southern WI
    1 hour 15 minutes +

40 miles, u-turn, back to almost where it started, then another direction.

Spiked after the U-turn, they also got my partner.

Partner changed a tire and got back into it and caught up to it by the end.

Spiked multiple times, that also got 2 Troopers, beside my co-worker.

Driver was in a prior pursuit with me a few years prior, that lasted 45 minutes, and wasn't a good day for me.

2. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Dec 16, 1999
    Minnesota
    Decade plus ago. 1:30 am. Drunk who would NOT stop. Two blocks down main street, right turn on highway, then a quick right into alley (maybe 120') then two blocks in alley, right turn then right on main street. Top speed 20mph. Around and around. One other car parked on main street. (bar owner)
    It took a number of laps till a Officer from neighboring town could get woke up to drive over. Then the city gets upset because he is son of a big wig from out of area who owns a business in town. "Why did you have to arrest him?"

That Officer no longer is with Law Enforcement. He couldn't take the crap. He said. "I get chewed out if I do ticket, arrest anyone and I get chewed out if I don't"

3. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Officer from another PD tries to stop a car, guy takes off with two of their units in pursuit. Lead unit loses control (dip in the road + high speeds), hits a pole and bring electrical wires over the roadway. Second car terminates to avoid crossing the wires (maybe he thought that if he was going exactly 88 MPH and hit electricity that he would be sent back to 1955). Officer from the crashed car got out, but the car burned pretty much to the ground. That was something to see. The only things that really survived were the camera vault and all the forms in his clipboard.

Everybody and their cousin with a badge start looking for the car and a deputy finds it rolling about a mile or two from where it was shut down. Guy takes off again, heads south on a four-lane divided highway, and then inexplicably, does a U-turn within maybe two hundred yards of an interstate on-ramp and heads back the other direction, causing him to pick up about a half dozen additional pursuing units. I was coming off said off-ramp and joined in. As we went back up the highway he kept trying to take joining units head-on, rammed at least three marked cars, and was eventually pushed off the road by one of the deputies. Such maneuvers are not in their manual, but the deputy said that he figured that his car was already ****ed and the guy needed to be stopped.

Car stops, suspect bails and runs. Ends up cornered in a trailer park and puts up a mammoth fight. Five cartridges fired by four tasers, a few baton strikes, and a lot of wrasslin' later, he's in custody...and passed out. PBT up the nose was over .200 on a very soft exhale. The list of charges ended up being beyond substantial. To this day I'm somewhat amazed that he didn't end up getting shot. I actually posted about it when it happened...there was a (fatal) OIS in our county and a couple of troopers from the post that covers our county watched a guy blow his brains out (like three feet from them) earlier that day.

The ***** of it is that they actually let the guy out of jail after he pled guilty pending sentencing to attend his dad's funeral out of state. Guess who's in the wind now?

I also had a guy in a stolen intentionally back in to me last year, but other than that that wasn't very "interesting."

4. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    Wackiest..

Stolen truck and trailer with golfcarts (plural) in back. Three counties, 6 agencies, we eventually caught them. But not before a deputy from a neighboring county supermanned his patrol car off the road, down an embankment, across a field, up the other side of the embankment, corkscrewed through the air before taking down an interstate freeway rated lightpole and landing on his roof.

They s-canned him later on after a few other incidents.

We caught the BGs in the truck.

The one that most impacted me?

DUI called in by a citizen, caught up to it, short failure to yield, and he cornered himself in a parking lot. Waited for me to get out of the patrol car and backed into it at 20+ miles per hour. I had got back in half assed to avoid getting run down and was twisted up in my seat trying to evade him.

He hit me just right (wrong) and destroyed my right collar bone, shoulder and mid upper back. I am now 24% permanently disabled. Need to schedule my second surgery soon. A total shoulder reconstruction as a follow up to my AC plasty.

*sigh*

5. For a time in LA it was common for black gang members , once you were pursuing them and before additional units could respond, of increasing speed to get further away from you then make a quick right or left turn.

The driver usually was the only person in the vehicle and he would bail out and rapidly run to the first house he was in front of a jump into the bushes, leaving the car running and traveling along at a medium speed. You come around the corner to see the vehicle about 50 feet down the road kind of slowing and go off the road and crash into a house. the suspect who is now 40 or 50 feet behind you begins running the opposite direction. the first few times this worked pretty good.

Then we would look to see if after the turn the vehicle had a driver or not. If it didn't we would stop and look for the driver there. After we found the driver it would be some time before he could drive again!!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  6. Cochese

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    :dancingbanana:

7. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Cochese: you should have shot the mother****er. Your first one reminded me of another one.

When I was brand new I stopped a car for speeding. He pulled around the corner on to a street that ends in a ravine. Stopped right next to the "dead end" sign. He's drunk, driving on a work permit (about an hour from home, but i was "okay" because he was "down here with work people). Try to start field sobriety and he shoves me, jumps in the car, and tries to take off. I'm trying to pull him out by one arm (had the presence of mind not to get in to the car and off balance). He's got it floored, but can't get it in to drive. His lone passenger jumps out the passenger side just as he gets it in gear.

I jump back in my car, chase him the (maybe) two tenths of a mile up the street, but lose sight of him due to the head start he got and a small rise in the road. Come over the rise to find what I recall to be only about 35 feet of skid marks that just disappear. Start fire and EMS as I'm getting out of the car. I shine my light down in to the ravine and see the car. It struck, while airborne, and fell, a tree with a nearly two foot trunk. The tree turned the car 180 degrees and landed it ass first in the bottom of the ravine. Our guess is that he was at close to 65 before he realized he was screwed, so he was really moving when he jumped it. The bottom of the ravine is probably close to forty feet below the road and the embankment is pretty steep.

I figure I'm going to shine my light down there and see a body. He took off with both doors open, so they probably didn't latch all the way, was really flying, he crashed hard, had all of the windows down (sunroof included), wasn't belted, etc. Imagine my shock when his dumb, drunk, dazed ass is crawling out the passenger window. I yell out "stop" and he looks right back at me, stops what he's doing, and yells "no!". Short foot chase and we had him in custody. He claimed that we beat him with our flashlights, which is absolutely not true.

It was my first pursuit and I was sure I was somehow going to be in trouble for it, but was not.

8. Cochese

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    I have MMQB'd myself to no end over this.

Given the location and situation, I had absolutely no cover, other than my car. I had a large sedan, in reverse at WOT, heading straight toward me. My backdrop also consisted of an office building with unknown occupancy.

Training kicked in and I was reminded that I am much safer INSIDE a vehicle when facing an oncoming car then I am out of it. I did what I thought was right at the moment.

If I had taken the time to draw my pistol and fire, his car would have most likely continued toward me/my patrol car, and struck it in the same location (push bumpers) and taken me (in the door frame) off my feet and under some cars. The BG pushed my patrol car back over a dozen feet. I don't believe it would have been in my abilities to backpeddle, or even run dead out, at 20-25 miles per hour.

Also, if I wasn't in the car to stop it (he broke my transmission lock) it would have rolled into a large metropolitan hospital parking lot (1000's of cars).

I am the first guy here to advocate shooting a MFer when he/she needs shot, but I feel I made the correct decision in this instance. Even if it did cost me my health.

*shrug*

(he got time served (90 days +/-) and probation FWIW. :faint: )

9. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Dec 16, 1999
    Minnesota
    Its really sad how little punishment offenders get for serious attacks. But major punishment for non violent issues.

If you attack a Police Officer with a deadly weapon (car does qualify) you should be charged with attempted murder of Police Officer. (and hopefully get the "PREMEDITATED" put on it) "I didn't want to get arrested so I put car in R for (run Officer over) and smashed into his squad"

10. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    FYI definitely not second guessing you, just voicing my thoughts on a more desirable outcome.

11. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Keep bringing them on. I don't have anything but foot pursuits for what I do. One of the weirder ones is that I was threatened with, "CO you touch me I am going to hit you." My response: Looks like you need to turn around and cuff up." He turned around and cuffed up, and proceeded to make a show of things on his way to the seg unit.

12. SAR

SAR CLM

Apr 17, 2004
    LA LA Land
    This is my wackiest pursuit. The pursuit almost took out a news van. They filmed the crash. They let me take a video of their monitor. I wish I had a better copy. It was crazy....

http://youtu.be/Y3VQy1y1J-w

13. Talk about a less than desirable outcome!!!

This happened in the early 80's in SoCal area. A CHP officer had someone stopped and as writing a citation when some nut drives by and shoots at the officer. Officer not hit but his black and white was hit. I think it happened on the Antelope Valley freeway (14). Pursuit and suspect and weapon are taken into custody.

At the trial for attempted murder on an officer, the suspect claims (true story) That it was his birthday and they were playing his favorite song on the radio and he used the gun he carries for protection to celebrate and fires a few shots into the air. He was not shooting at anyone and does not know how the CHP vehicle was hit. Perhaps it happened days earlier!

The retarded LIBERAL jury found him not guilty. I get livid just telling this story!!!:steamed:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  14. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    The camera man in that video is Paul Anderegg, and the blue Crown Vic with the trunk open is his car. He used to be a a regular on the Crown Vic forums, but went off the deep end a few years ago. I stopped posting over there quite a while back, so I don't know what became of him. He actually was an LAPD officer in the early-mid '90s and last I knew was working as a stringer.

Somewhere I have a really high quality copy of that video that he posted.

15. deadcalm4u

deadcalm4u overkill

Nov 16, 2003
    state of denial

If you can sleep at night with the decision you made, then you made the right one. Too bad you couldn't have stood up after the dust settled and sent him where he should go.

90 days? Are ******* kidding me? What a joke:upeyes: You got a lifetime and he gets 3 months, get the F outta here.

16. Broke Hoss

Broke Hoss

Sep 21, 2008
    Abilene, Texas
    Funniest chase? I'm on a traffic stop & can hear a motor revving a couple of blocks away. After I finish my stop, I go hunting. I find a 2ton dump truck loaded with concrete in the middle of a residential area (0330 hrs) lurching down the road. Obviously the driver has no clue about driving a standard transmission. But he got better when I turned on the red/blues & off we went at the blazing speed of maybe 20mph. He never got it out of granny gear; I guess he felt he was finally moving so why mess with success.

After about 5 minutes we still haven't got out of the neighborhood, but had made a couple of corners. He stalled it on an incline......and now he's rolling back towards me. I reversed & we did this for about 100ft.

Truck stops & I can see he ain't getting it started; he's trying to start it in gear with his foot off the clutch. I exit & give verbal commands, but I can tell he's drunk & cannot make out what he's yelling back. I go ahead & approach as I pull my asp to break the door window. When I climb up & jerk the door open, he lunges for something on the passenger side. I used several forehand & backhand strikes to any part I could reach.

Sgt shows up & goes at him from passenger door. This allows me to crawl in on top of the BG a little better. About this time is when said SGT fills the cab with OC spray. So I just grab what I can & jump down to the ground; bringing BG with me.

We hit the ground, me on my feet & him on his head, about the time all the cavalry is getting there. Which was good because I couldn't see anything.

Guy was indeed DWI, & had stolen the truck from a construction site about 5 blocks away. He was just trying to make it home on a cold night. But the video, with my in car commentary made the rounds of the department.

17. I remember him from CVN. Had a '98 Vic with ported/polished PI heads.

18. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Yep. Car was nicknamed "Turbo Vic", even though it was definitely not turboed. Were you around there when he went totally off the deep end? That really was a weird place at times. Between Paul flipping **** and Owen Ward becoming Erin Ward...

19. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

Feb 21, 2009
    Saw what i thought was a hand to hand in a bar parking lot well after closing time, so ended up going after one of the guys as he was pulling out. Chase was on, lost sight of him after he took the sidewalk for a bit and I got called off. Started checking the area, hoping he darker out and pulled off into a driveway or parking lot.

See what I think is the car backed into a private drive, I zoom in and box him in and foot pursuit on driver. Female passenger stays put...I stay with her and the car and call out the description as he is running. Turns out car was NOT the car who ran on me, just totally crazy odds it matched description. Male driver was kicking the crap out of his girlfriend and she was bloody from the face and mouth - she was thankful I showed up when I did because he had threatened to kill her with a knife because he thought he was flirting with her boss. K-9 caught him a few hours later....

Original car got stopped pulling into his driveway by a neighboring town who the plate registered out of. Moron still had an 8 ball and 3,000 on him. We seized the car as well.

Not the craziest when it comes to driving, but what are the odds of catching a violent domestic in progress when looking for a car from a chase...it was pretty fun and all, but very overwhelming to deal with both cases at once. Lots of coffee and sugar, and a ton of paperwork.