close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Your tripod?

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by mndart, Aug 26, 2008.

1. mndart

mndart Now 50% Poorer!

May 20, 2004
    OH!!!
    I have a few cheapo tripods. I really need to get a good, high quality tripod. What are YOU using? Please share any pros and cons from your personal experience.

Thanks, Dan

2. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

May 16, 2006
    VA
    Manfrotto Carbonone 441 with Acratech Ultimate ballhead.

It is nice and light weight, Center column can be removed to get closer to the ground and even placed horizontally.

3. T. Harless

T. Harless

Jan 14, 2003
    WV
    I have two Gitzo carbon fiber 3530. One with a Arca-Swiss B1g ball head and the other with a Arca-Swiss Z1 ball head. In both cases, the heads weigh more than the tripod. They're awesome. If I were to do it again, I think I'd go for the four section, at least on one, for the extra height. Though it's an option, I don't care for center posts at all. Gitzos are kind of pricey, pushing $600 without a head, put you really do get what you pay for in a Gitzo. My $.02

4. mndart

mndart Now 50% Poorer!

May 20, 2004
    OH!!!
    Thanks. I've been looking at both. This gives me some configurations to consider.

5. jolly roger

jolly roger

Apr 28, 2001
    Knob Creek
    Manfrotto 055XPROB and 488 RC2 ballhead good stuff

6. mndart

mndart Now 50% Poorer!

May 20, 2004
    OH!!!
    All of you recommend the ballhead. What do you like about the ballhead? I have only used the 3way.

I am assuming you can easily position the camera perpendicular for portraits?

7. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

May 16, 2006
    VA
    Ballhead you have one thing to turn and you can place your camera anywhere you want. with pan and tilt you have separate controls for each axis and they tend to have long arms that stick out.

8. mndart

mndart Now 50% Poorer!

May 20, 2004
    OH!!!
    P & T is what I have now and I don't like it. Sounds like ballhead is the way to go. THANKS!