close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

your thouhts on a HD shotgun with pistol grip (no stock)

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by dc2integra, Sep 16, 2010.

1. dc2integra

dc2integra
    Expand Collapse

Well i wanna make my shotgun strictly an HD gun. i was thinking of putting a pistol grip on it because I figured I could manuver alot better than the traditonal stock.Knoxx makes a recoil reducing pistol grip what do you guys thinK?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Ferdinandd

Ferdinandd
    Expand Collapse

I've tried that on my M500 extensively and don't like it. Your best shot is a well-aimed shot, and you can't aim well with the PG-only shooting from the hip. I really like the Shoulder stock with PG attached - very comfortable, and great control and accuracy.

3. JK-linux

JK-linux
    Expand Collapse

Opinions vary. Personally, I prefer a both a pistol grip AND stock of some type whenever possible. I currently have an old surplus Remington Police top folder stock on my 870 which makes it more compact to stash. Were there to be a bump in the night, my first action would be to extend the stock so I could fire it accurately. Honestly though, I may just ditch the folder and go back to the OEM solid stock. I've pinched blood blisters so many times folding and unfolding it, it's not worth it to me.

4. dc2integra

dc2integra
    Expand Collapse

I have a traditional stock on it right know but i would think that for hd purposes id be better off with a pistol grip simply because it shortens the gun length and I can manuver alot better .Also my house is only 1500 sq feet .

5. boss66tcode

boss66tcode
    Expand Collapse

Its fine as long as you train and pattern the buck shot with a pistol grip. It will handle different, and you should know how it will feel, or should you ever have to use it, you would be at a disadvantage.

6. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

If you actually plan on using it to hit something, keep the stock.

7. Noblinger

Noblinger
    Expand Collapse

Use what is comfortable for you. You will kill the bad guy with a pistol grip or a stock. Recoil will not really matter at that time.

8. mixflip

mixflip
    Expand Collapse

Well most experienced shotgun shooters will tell you that those are a great way for shotgun noobs to knock out their teeth when they get the instict to raise it up and aim and not hold it strong enough to stop it from doing so?

They arent 100% useless though. The JIC has its merits. Also professional door breechers benefit from them when coupled with the proper muzzle and ammo.

I avoid them personally. If you are clearing your house of armed bad guys with a pistol grip shotgun...some training is needed. Not a pistol grip.

9. ancient_serpent

ancient_serpent
    Expand Collapse

Adjustable stock is far better. I was a breacher, the shotgun I used had a fold over stock. The only time it was folded up was in the armsroom.
    My personal HD shotgun has an adjustable stock and sidesaddle on it.

10. MD357

MD357
    Expand Collapse

This is my experiences aswell. Knoxx stock being my favorite. :cool:

11. MacG22

MacG22
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

This is not true. If you're point blank, then it is probably true.

However, I've tried to shoot with accuracy with 3'' shells and there is a WORLD of difference. In the real world, in a real house at night or in the afternoon, and especially if others are involved or within penetration distance...that bit of accuracy is everything.

And it's not just recoil for accuracy. It is painful recoil that will absolutely affect followup shots.

Keep the stock. Make it adjustable if you want to leave some room for maneuverability.

12. aippi

aippi
    Expand Collapse

I have fired the 870 with Knoxx breecher grip. Great stock. It deals with most of the recoil and muzzel flip. You can even shoot the shotgun one handed like a pistol with that stock. I loved it and hated to see the client leave here with it as he came to the shop to watch me build it. I even let him test fire it first 'cause if I had shot it first he would not have gotten to till he got home with it.

The issue of accuracy comes down to two things, the range you are shooting at and your proficiency. As an HD this is a close quarters weapon, feet not yards and making a committment to training with that weapon will make just as proficient with it at those distances as with any weapon.

I am about to apply for an AOW. Of course it will be an 870. It will have a 14" barrel, Wilson one shot tube extension, Surefire 318LM and a Knoxx Breecher grip. And no it is not for breeching. It will be my primary HD.

13. mixflip

mixflip
    Expand Collapse

To the OP, aippi proves there are always exceptions to the rule. I am actually surprised to hear him advocate pistol grips for HD but in his case he is not the average Joe shotgun owner. I dont know him personally but from what I gather he is highly experienced and highly trained so its basically a different situation for him as far as pistol grips go.

I still say, if you are a newbie who isnt investing in shotgun training...stick to some type of shoulder fired setup until you get closer to aippi's level.

14. dc2integra

dc2integra
    Expand Collapse

thanks aippi you sure sound like you know your stuff.My setup i plan on running on my mossberg 500 6 shot will be a trl 1,knoxx breacher grip no side saddles or heat shields as i dont want to add anymore weight. And yes ive seen some guys online firing shotguns with the knoxx breacher grip like its a pistol

15. aippi

aippi
    Expand Collapse

The main thing is that this is dedicated HD and you get trigger time, trigger time and more trigger time. All the above guys have a valid point about stocks and all my stocks are either, SF IV-S, Knoxx or Mesa. The AOW will not replace the one by my bed till I have hundreds of rounds through it and then only when I can look at something and it is hit. It will also serve for those very times I get a protection detail and think it is needed.

This stock is not for everyone so make sure you become proficient with it.

16. Jeepnik

Jeepnik
    Expand Collapse

Just a suggestion, but you might look into a "youth" buttstock. They shave an inch or so off the length, and that makes them surprisingly more manuverable. Push comes to shove, that shorter buttstock won't even be noticable compare to a "normal" length one. Yea, you'll be a bit more cramped up, but not enough to matter for the few shots you might need.

Oh by the way, don't ever try to hold a pistol gripped 12 gauge up so you can see the sight bead with anything but skeet loads. Unless you are a Hollywood movie star, you're going to eat steel.

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2010/06/07/how-to-knock-out-your-front-teeth-with-a-pistol-grip-shotgun/

#16 Jeepnik, Sep 17, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  17. dc2integra

dc2integra
    Expand Collapse

I plan on shooting a couple thousand rounds before trusting it as my primary HD gun.Hey Aippi I wanna practice shooting it but not hip firing i wanna do some shooting were I actually aim and use the sights whats the proper way of doing that ive tried to look it up on youtube but all I see is idiots shooting them one handed and people shooting them from the hip.Thanks

18. josp

josp
    Expand Collapse

For HD use I have a Serbu Super Shorty, 4 shot side saddle, Knoxx breachers grip. Exactly 18 ft from my strong point to the stairs, main house area where the assault would have to come from.
    Patterns like a softball at that distance yet I can still hit a silhouette at 40 yards with slugs. The fore grip on the Serbu is the key to it I believe.
    Whatever you decide, practice, practice, practice.

19. Johan Beer

Johan Beer
    Expand Collapse

Everything I've ever read says to steer clear of a pistol grip shotgun. With the stock you have better control, better aim, and better chances of winning.

The pistol grip might look cool, but it puts you at a disadvantage.

20. dc2integra

dc2integra
    Expand Collapse

^^If it wasnt effective proffesional breachers in swat teams wouldnt have their shotguns set up with pistol grips