close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Your preference. Serrated or not?

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by sandyc, Dec 2, 2012.

1. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix
    Expand Collapse
    Anti-Federalist
    CLM

Spyderco produces the best serrated knives available in my opinion. Something to keep in mind for the next one :wavey:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. sandyc

sandyc
    Expand Collapse

syntaxerrorsix, I have a Spyderco that my son gave me. It's a relic that was given to him in Iraq, desert camo colored. It will never be used. I'm told it's worth a few bucks.

3. Officer's Match

Officer's Match
    Expand Collapse
    S.R.D. v

I actually like the serration design of the Surefire Echo. It should be a breeze to sharpen compared to most other types.

[​IMG]

4. sandyc

sandyc
    Expand Collapse

I take it that's a fixed blade. Cool knife, I like it.

5. RYNOCG201

RYNOCG201
    Expand Collapse

I prefer not but serrations do have their merits.

6. porschedog

porschedog
    Expand Collapse

I prefer serrated
    That's how I like my Syderco CoPilot and Emerson CQC7 EDCs

7. sandyc

sandyc
    Expand Collapse

Officer's Match, The Surefire Echo has been discontinued. I would of like to had one of those.

8. Uzi4U

Uzi4U
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I prefer half serrated knives, but also carry plain knives, and a fully serrated Spyderco.

When I lived in a rural area, it seemed like I was often cutting twine or rope. I even used my fully serrated Endura for cutting small PVC pipe in a pinch. I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker to sharpen serrated blades.

#28 Uzi4U, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  9. Travclem

Travclem
    Expand Collapse
    Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

Plain and polished. The only serrated knives I like are fully serrated. I have no use for partial serrations.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#29 Travclem, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  10. FireForged

FireForged
    Expand Collapse
    Millenium #3936
    Millennium Member

NOT! I dont but cardboard or 3inch thick rope.

11. bdcochran

bdcochran
    Expand Collapse

My response is nuanced.

I don't use a pocket knife on a regular basis. Therefore, my preference is not based upon a concept of daily usage. This is why there are knives (tools) designed for specific purposes like cleaning horse hooves, working with electrical wire and so forth.

To me, a knife is a tool.

If I am going to be in a potentially dangerous situation, I might take a fully serrated Spyderco Endura 4.

If I want a reliable, heavy folder, it might be the old Emerson CQC6 or old CQC7.

If I want a good camp knife it would end up being the Buck 110 that is not serrated.

If I want a serviceable knife in the car that can be stolen (and I have had my car burglarized more than once), it might be an uncatalogued, partially serrated Ontario 2823 that costs about $16 with tax.

Or, I just went in the office drawer and admired my unserrated Al Mar folder.

12. Officer's Match

Officer's Match
    Expand Collapse
    S.R.D. v

Nice edges TC.

13. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701
    Expand Collapse
    Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

No doubt, wish I had the equipment and skil, to do that!

14. Travclem

Travclem
    Expand Collapse
    Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

Thanks guys, but I am a no skill hack compared to some. I cheat with the Edge Pro. I just like the way these 10k grit edges cut. I have recently discovered .5micron diamond spray on a kangaroo leather strop and it makes them cut like nothing I have ever seen.

I had my knives at deer camp a few weeks ago and it was funny to see people's reactions when they used one of my knives. It makes game processing almost effortless. A lot of people out there have never used a truly sharp knife. luckily I didn't have my sharpening equipment with me or I would've been sharpening everyone's knives all week.

Here's my Liontribe custom with my edge on it.
    [​IMG]

That was a chore and a half!

#34 Travclem, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  15. Travclem

Travclem
    Expand Collapse
    Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

One more.
    [​IMG]
    A sharp plain edge will do anything you need to do. The benefit of serrations are not as much edge maintenance is needed. My sharp plains will cut straps and rope just as well as my fully serrated Spyderco.

16. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Serrated. Straight looks better and sharpens easier, but serrated give me a good extra cutting option that works and knives are for cutting. If I was collecting knives to put on my wall, they'd have non-serrated edges.

17. Veedubklown

Veedubklown
    Expand Collapse

I prefer a straight blade as well, just because I can always put a fresh edge on it, easily, just about anywhere. But, I also carry a gerber multi-tool that has a straight, serrated, and a saw blade. If my folding knife can't do it, my gerber can. Ulitmately though, it's what's in your pocket. It's a personal preference kinda thing, and it looks like you've made up your mind :cool: First rule of a knife fight, have a gun. A knife is still handy, though.

18. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow
    Expand Collapse

i like a partially serrated blade. why?

i work in tunnel construction project. during excavations we had these huge canvas bulkheads up to divert airflow. they were sometimes crisscross with thick rope to reinforce them..so they didnt balloon into a walkway or something. i had to help a contractor cut a piece. his knife while sharp..had a difficult time. my benchmade zippered the canvas and light sabered the rope.

if there was a fire and we needed to escape..my knife would have lead the way. that miner gave me money to buy him a benchmade with serrations. he worked to much to go shopping. he just handed me cash.

sharpening it? when i bought my benchmade..there was some man there..i remember him being some benchmade guy. cant be sure. it has been years and years. i asked about sharpening the thing. he said..use the spyderco sharpmaker. the corners of the ceramic sticks ride in and out of the serrations of benchmade style serrations perfectly. i have had my knife for years...and sharpening it this way has worked. my serrations are super sharp.

19. Officer's Match

Officer's Match
    Expand Collapse
    S.R.D. v

:rock::rock::rock:

20. deputy tom

deputy tom
    Expand Collapse

For utility I prefer a plain edged SAK. For cutting someone off of my gun I prefer a full Spyder-edge Endura. A plus for serrated edges, they go longer between sharpenings than a plain edge. YMMV. tom.:cool: