Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Your preference. Serrated or not?

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by sandyc, Dec 2, 2012.

1. sandyc

May 5, 2009
    South Texas
    Do you prefer partial serrated blades or a smooth blade on a quality folding knife? And why??? Thanks
  2. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Jun 22, 2007
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Not. Personal preference and ease of sharpening.

3. XshooterX

Oct 24, 2012
    Much prefer no serrations. I have never found a use for them on a folder and they just make it more tedious to sharpen and more difficult to cut thick rope without snagging threads on them. That being said, my go to daily carry is a commander with serrations :)

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
  4. Kentguy

Nov 22, 2010
    Kent, OH

I prefer a non-serrated blade in a folding knife, mainly because of the use I need in a folding knife. General cutting and nothing heavy in terms of work, all around camp or around the house type uses.

For a serrated blade I use that type of blade for sawing, stripping tougher than normal coatings, bark, wire, etc. I prefer that in a longer fixed blade and of course good quality steel.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  5. Non serrated.

However, I have one CRKT folder that has a special serration pattern so it wont snag...its the best knife Ive ever used for cutting rope.
  6. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    Not, by far. I no longer gave any serrated blades.
  7. bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Serrated, with an explanation.

I have little occasion to use a folder. This translates into wanting flexibility and versatility in a folder.

Whether it is cutting rope, opening a package, or a similar endeavor, I try to use the proper tool and take the time to go get it. It helps to be retired and not under stress to do cutting in a hurry.
  8. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    Plain edge but a serrated edge does work better for cutting tubing/hose and a couple of other areas.
    Plain edge is easier for sharpening in my opinion.
  9. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

EDC utility = plain edge for ease of sharpening.

SD carry = serrated or 50/50

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2
  10. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Sep 20, 2003
    Penn's Woods
    DEFINITELY NOT JOKING! (Modern law enforcement at its best!) :thumbsup:

Anyone who doesn't know how to sharpen a serrated edge is missing half the fun (and all of the utility) of owning a carry knife. I switch so often between cutting soft items like rope, string, and cardboard that - no matter how sharp - a straight edge would be a lot less useful to me.

If you're fleshing fish or game, or peeling an apple, a straight edge is fine; but, if you're trying to slice through clothing a serrated edge can really come into it's own. All of my EDC's are partially serrated blades.

Any of the popular round diamond knife sharpeners will do a decent job of sharpening a serrated edge. Fortuitously, though, these edges don't require sharpening very often.
  11. RetailNinja

Jan 31, 2007
    Non serrated. I have a SAK with a saw if I need teeth.
  12. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Feb 27, 2007
    Most of my carry knives are partially serrated. They're there if I need them. If I don't, they don't hurt anything.
  13. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    Depends on what I'm doing.

In or on the water I wanted a fully serrated knife because I'll most likely be cutting ropes. Serrations provide for ~10% more cutting edge and the teeth bite into fibrous material better than a plain edge.

My EDC's are typically plain edge and excel in slicing and push cutting. Much more suited to fine precise cuts than a serrated edge.

Right tool for the job and all.
  14. Leigh

May 22, 2000
    Eastern Kentucky
    Interesting test completed a number of years ago by the magazine, Tactial Knives.

The experiemt involved two identical knives (both new out of the box, one serrated, one plain-edged). The test medium was pvc pipe (bone), foam rubber/duct tape (flesh) and denim (clothing).

After multiple strikes and slashes, the plain edged blade was declared the better of the two.

Not in any way scientific but sharp is sharp, regardless of blade type.
  15. syntaxerrorsix

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    Try cutting a zip tie with a plain edge and then a serrated edge and get back to us :)

Each edge has distinct advantages.
  16. syntaxerrorsix

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
  17. TK-421

Oct 12, 2012
    Pflugerville, TX
    I carry a plain, non-serrated edge, because it's easier to sharpen, and I don't need a serrated edge. All I really do with a knife is cut tape on packages or similar stuff. Everything I do can be done just as easily with a plain edge as with a serrated edge. So I stick with a plain edge for ease of sharpening.
  18. Leigh

May 22, 2000
    Eastern Kentucky
    Agreed. However, the above-mentioned test/experiement was an illustration on the practicality of one edge type over another in the context (I would guess, considering the test medium used) of self defense.

That said, I prefer plain for 90% of my own tasks.
  19. sandyc

May 5, 2009
    South Texas
    Thanks for the replies. I use a folding knife continuously through the day. I've had expensive as well as cheap knives and all were smooth bladed. I bought a really cheap serrated blade and I can't believe how much easier it is to cut with. I've just ordered a new SOG Twist XL partial serrated. I'll see how that stands up to all the torture I'll put it through. Lots of good info and remarks, thanks.