close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Your Home's weakest link.

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Cavalry Doc, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Lets be honest. Locks only keep honest folks out of your stuff.

I've been noticing how weak my exterior doors are. I've kicked through several myself, in a lot of different countries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEUcQkM3TMQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJr8dxA_IJY

Door jamb armor only runs about $100 on Lowes.com (10% discount for Retired Vets and active duty:supergrin:)

Also thinking about this product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO-R8-9ULVg&NR=1

Looks good to me.

I'm pretty CAREFUL. I've been shot at a lot. It takes a lot of preparedness before I consider something paranoia.

So, why not reinforce the wire before the bad guys get in.

This looks pretty cost effective to me.

What do you think?

2. Maine1

Maine1

3. Pro 2A

Pro 2A

I agree that window glass is likely the weakest link. There is a film you can add to the window that makes them virtually "unbreakable" (the glass might break, but no hole is made, even when hit with a 2x4 fired from an air cannon to simulate hurricane debris). There are several versions on the market- Window Defense, Shatter Safe, Enter Guard, etc.

Cannon test with 2x4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OekkMyu5xbQ
    :wow:

As for the floor brace video, I think it depends on the door you have. If you have a cheap wood door or maybe even fiberglass, it might break off the bottom corner of the door? I don't know. Just looks like the physics is wrong (a lot of door above it, with pressure point very low. The other draw back to this is that it's only ewffective if it's in place and it's only in place if you put it there. If you have a lot of in/out traffic, it's not likely to get used much.

The door jam product I like. It's always in place and it is effective. But I wouldn't use a fiberglass door. Go with insulated steel!

If you want excellent home security, combine these products with an ICF constructed home and you'll not only have an amazing fortress, your energy bills will be drastically cut! My dad built these type homes and while helping him with interior finish work on a below freezing day, we were inside with most of the lights on and the temp went UP a few degress just from the lights and us working!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  4. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta

You are correct. One molatov thru the glass and you are cooked. Fire is the one thing that doesn't get much talk.

5. Jake514

Jake514

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO-R8-9ULVg&NR=1

This type could be weaker if installed over wood vereer or tile floors since the pins are not too long.

Personally, I would prefer to have one with a LONG heavy steel pin that inserts into the concrete (if you have a slab foundation) or into the wood decking if you have a wooden construction.

6. Dexters

Dexters

7. jellis11

jellis11 Yippee-ki-yay

You can retro fit a single story residential with a sprinkler system for pretty cheap.

8. PBCounty

PBCounty

The roof is my weakest link. My doors and windows are quite hardened (custom security doors / windows).

I don't recommend the security film. I personally feel that makes a window breaking easier.

9. Pro 2A

Pro 2A

Curious, why do you think it makes it easier? :dunno:
    Heck, some of the films can stop bullets! How is that easier to break than unprotected glass?

As for fire... again I say ICF (with a mason exterior and non-flamable roof). Look on this page: http://www.hoviscustombuilders.com/default2.asp?active_page_id=898
    If you scroll down, you'll see how ICF homes are the only ones still standing after wild fires and hurricanes level a neighborhood. :wow:

10. PBCounty

PBCounty

Typically, the examples given of the glass turning into Superman with a little bit of film are of very thick glass with heavy duty frames anyway....and with the film applied under the frame. Applied like that, the film works wonders. With the average, existing residential window it doesn't roll like that. The glass is thin, the frames are weak and film isn't under the frame. The film only serves to allow the broken glass to be quietly tapped out of a frame where it remains in one nice piece....or just rolled out enough to reach a lock.

11. sebecman

sebecman

If someone wants to get in your house they will - no matter what you do.

There have been cases here where homeowners with alarms on doors and windows go on vacation and return to find that theives have used power saws to cut their way thru the exterior walls and gain entry.

The point of door stops and glass treatments/bars should be to slow them down enough that if you are home you have time to arm yourself and repell them if needed.

We have a few tricks in place to slow intruders entry and also a few nasty surprises for anyone that does get in....

That said your best defense is a good offense. Dogs are good. Also placing NRA and gun themed stickers on your vehicles...I have a long driveway, at the end of it are 3 signs, "no tresspassing" "beware of dog" and a homemade one that says "my german shepard can run faster than you." I have thought about getting the one that says "if you can read this you are in range" but honestly don't think I need it.

:supergrin:

12. Cavalry Doc

13. Cavalry Doc

[​IMG]

Thought about this sign, but don't want to advertise that I have guns.

14. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta

This. Also don't want 'I own guns' stickers all over my vehicles either. Just asking for someone to take a peek in the trunk or glove box. Poor OPSEC IMO.

15. sebecman

sebecman

OPSEC depends on your locale.....here in Maine it ain't a big deal.

Many of us still have gun racks in the rear windows of our trucks for our hunting rifles/shotguns.

Up here you are more likely to get shot/robbed over an NFL/MLB sticker on your truck (if it's anything but Pats or Red Sox) then an NRA one!

16. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

17. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta

Tagged.

18. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta

Do that here and expect to get a lot of attention from the local law enforcement. I should move.

19. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Correctness.'08. :dunno:

20. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta

From the guy who has replaced 'the' in the written word with 'ta' :dunno: