close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Your Guns WILL be Taxed, You Suckers and Sinners

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by NorthCarolinaLiberty, Dec 16, 2012.

1. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty
    Expand Collapse
    MentalDefective

The national AWB issue will be real, but will also be a sweet diversion to implement incremental sin taxes in localities. I might guess that several factors will perfectly dovetail to make this happen:

• Sin taxes have a track record for passing due to "undesirable" behavior
    • Localities are starving for money as the American economy continues to decline
    • Obsession with national politics leaves local issues ignored by many
    • The emotion of a children's tragedy will help stifle some debate, as recently witnessed in GNG
    An excellent overview of the folly of sin taxes here: http://mercatus.org/publication/taxing-sin

Chicago's gun tax proposal here. Preckwinkle proposes that the money be used for gun victims. In light of recent events, how easy will it be to disagree with her?
    http://taxfoundation.org/blog/cook-...ed-ammunition-tax-proceeding-proposed-gun-tax

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Atlas

Atlas
    Expand Collapse
    transmogrifier

A 200% tax on ammo?

3. smokin762

smokin762
    Expand Collapse

The average person will only be a Law Abiding Citizen until the government dictates otherwise. As gun owners, we sometimes joke around about being the evil black rifle owners. I think the light will be shining like a 10,000 Lumen spot light on us now.

Talk about discrimination. :upeyes:

4. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans
    Expand Collapse
    FYPM

^^^^^This.

I have long thought the antis would use ammo control to get around 2A. It says we have a right to bear arms. It doesn't say they have to be loaded.

5. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty
    Expand Collapse
    MentalDefective

Incremental taxes is the shrewd approach of choice. Bye's 50% tax proposal on ammo and mags will need to be toned down so that it can slip through. The same thing is done with tobacco and gas. Hell, you don't even need to be slick about it. Roberts gives a thumbs up to Obamacare by calling it a tax.

"Institute a 50-percent sales tax on the sale of ammunition and firearms magazines;"

News from state senator Beth Bye in Connecticut:
    http://www.senatedems.ct.gov/pr/bye-121220.php

6. Riverkilt

Riverkilt
    Expand Collapse

My guns were already taxed in North Carolina back in the 60's. I had to pay a poll tax which included a tax on personal property I owned.

And of course paid sales tax on recent gun purchases....

Taxing my guns ain't nothin' new...just sayin'...

7. Comrade Bork

Comrade Bork
    Expand Collapse

There is already a 11% excise tax on guns and ammo. Has been for decades. Pittman-Robertson.

It is built right into the price of every gun and round you buy by the manufacturer, and passed along to you, the ultimate payer of the tax, in the purchase price.

Not to mention the $200 "stamp" fee for Class III items.

Although, when Congress voted to stop issuing (and taking those $200 fees for) tax stamps on Machine Guns back in 1986, thereby freezing the number (about a 1/4 million of them) "taxed" prior to the cutoff (and making most of them too valuable to actually shoot anymore) it is the only example I can think of of Congress actually ENDING a source of tax revenue, willingly!

If you have a "right" to vote, were not "Poll Taxes" declared unconstitutional?

As in "if you can tax a right, it is not a right. Especially if you require a tax on it, then refuse to accept the taxes".

Until SCotUS clearly declared that we have a RIGHT to Keep Arms in the "Heller" (& McDonald) cases, the .Gov could get away with these "tax" scams on guns.

I wonder if they are aware that in the light of Heller, that may no longer be the case?

That the taxes are just continuing because they have not been challenged through the Courts?

Yet.

#7 Comrade Bork, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  8. Riverkilt

Riverkilt
    Expand Collapse

For sure Poll Taxes were declared unconstitutional. That didn't mean I still didn't have to pay them in North Carolina in 1965. I also had to pass a literacy test to vote in North Carolina in 1965. It was what it was.

9. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty
    Expand Collapse
    MentalDefective

I guess that is part of the point, RK. It will be much easier for politicos to incrementally change something quantitatively, rather than qualitatively. People will be distracted by the hyperbole of national politics and some far out proposals, but people will not notice the incremental changes right under their noses.

#9 NorthCarolinaLiberty, Jan 4, 2013
  10. humanguerrilla

humanguerrilla
    Expand Collapse

#10 humanguerrilla, Jan 4, 2013
  11. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454
    Expand Collapse

Idaho Constitution:

Text of Section 11:
    Right to Keep and Bear Arms

The people have the right to keep and bear arms, which right shall not be abridged; but this provision shall not prevent the passage of laws to govern the carrying of weapons concealed on the person nor prevent passage of legislation providing minimum sentences for crimes committed while in possession of a firearm, nor prevent the passage of legislation providing penalties for the possession of firearms by a convicted felon, nor prevent the passage of any legislation punishing the use of a firearm. No law shall impose licensure, registration or special taxation on the ownership or possession of firearms or ammunition. Nor shall any law permit the confiscation of firearms, except those actually used in the commission of a felony.

No such laws State or Federal shall apply! If the Feds pass such a law it can not nor will it be applied to Idaho citizens as it will violate our Constitution!:supergrin:

12. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

Good thing I can make my own. :shocked:

13. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Gag me with an AK47!

14. marchboom

marchboom
    Expand Collapse

Only the rich will be allowed to enjoy the 2nd Amendment.

Those rich democrat politicians will screw us every chance they get!

15. SPIN2010

SPIN2010
    Expand Collapse
    Searching ...

As the letter from the Marine stated to fINEsWINE: I am not your peasant. It is time to stand together and foil (the attempt of) these unamerican politicians.

NO POSTURING, NO TAX, NO REGISTRATION, NOTHING! Period! Drop all attempts. ENFORCE THE LAWS ON THE BOOKS YOU ______!

... and arms are not complete without ammunition. GET FOR REAL!

16. kirgi08

kirgi08
    Expand Collapse
    Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

tagged.

17. t4terrific

t4terrific
    Expand Collapse

Like England and Australia.

18. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe
    Expand Collapse
    you savvy?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

19. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454
    Expand Collapse

cowboywannabe
    Carry to explain!!:upeyes:

Further more where in the 2nd does it say they can tax the right to own. Where has the SCOTUS said they have the right to tax anyone in the exersise of a right? :whistling:

20. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds
    Expand Collapse
    Tewwowist

I agree that taxation will be used at some point. That's fairly obvious. However I don't think they can get 2 hot buttons right now. Taxation will come later after registration is achieved and make a nation awash in felony tax evaders.