close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

your favorite combat shotgun?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Diesel McBadass, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn
    Expand Collapse
    Got Pignose?

Quick question: how many of you actually carried your "favorite combat shotgun" into combat?

And, how many of you carried a different shotgun into combat, so you actually have a frame of reference for which is the best, thus your favorite?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    nitesite10mm likes this.
  2. Veedubklown

Veedubklown
    Expand Collapse

I'll admit, combat, I know nothing about. I've shot IDPA DMG with a mossberg 500 in 20ga, and it was SWEET. Light, short, recoil wasn't a problem. Even with 3" buckshot, highbrass slugs, you could still work the action quick and keep it on target.

[​IMG]

Sling was terrible though. Never again, too heavy to actually use. Now, when she took that...

Browning A5. Because I couldn't afford a 930

[​IMG]

#42 Veedubklown, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
    Bullman likes this.
  3. Al Czervik

Al Czervik
    Expand Collapse
    My arm!

Wilson Border Patrol 870.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. chr_edw

chr_edw
    Expand Collapse
    Holster Maker

For now a 590a1

[​IMG]

Simple but tough.

5. deputy tom

deputy tom
    Expand Collapse

I don't have a combat shotgun. I do like a 12 ga. 870 or 500 for a house gun however. Getting older I'm going to attempt to adapt to a 20 ga. The last time I tried one it kicked worse than the 12 ga, at least the percieved recoil seemed more to me. YMMV. tom.:cool:

6. Mad Ryan

Mad Ryan
    Expand Collapse

We had mostly 870's and Benelli M1S90's in our armory.

7. Chiefret

Chiefret
    Expand Collapse

I carried an 870 during the first Gulf War. I didn’t care much for it. The parked finish rusted fairly quickly without daily maintenance, (That really wasn’t a problem until we were on the move).The stock cracked at the wrist. And for some reason the shell latch would not release the rounds manually. I had to rack the slide to unload it, (I know that’s what it says to do in the manual). I’m more comfortable removing the rounds manually than racking the slide. That may have been a problem with that particular shotgun I’m not sure.

I’ve owned and used a Mossberg 500 for HD since 1985. Never had a problem with it. I just wish it had ghost ring instead of rifle sights.

#47 Chiefret, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  8. michael_b

michael_b
    Expand Collapse
    BRC #1492

I have a 590 Special Purpose w: ghost ring sights, 8 shot.

Heavy, but love it. Sights are great, action is smooth, and a bayonet lug just to annoy libs. :)

#48 michael_b, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
    nitesite10mm likes this.
  9. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT
    Expand Collapse
    Resident Evil

I have not.

I can only go by what others with real experiences have reported as being a reliable shotgun under such circumstances and that influenced my selection of the 590A1 as being reliable enough for any home defense scenario I could conceivably or realistically find myself in. :wavey:

10. triggerjerk

triggerjerk
    Expand Collapse

I haven't carried a shotgun into combat but haven't the armed services officially adopted the M4 and 590A1?

I have taken a combat shotgun course and I quickly appreciated a shotgun that was semiauto, had ghost rings and had low recoil . . .

11. Batesmotel

Batesmotel
    Expand Collapse

Carried a Browning pump in the Marines. It was made in the late 40s or early 50s. It was still in our inventory from when my company came back from Korea. Finicky due to bottom eject and loading. Didn't like dirt and sand.

Officially we were't suposed to have shotguns but there were a bunch of guns in the armory were weren't supposed to have.

We were able to get shotgun ammo so we trained with them. The brownings were a pain to keep running so guys brought their own guns. We ran the 870s and 500s hard in training. Learned a wicked technique from the FBI for shooting under cars. :wow:

I personally liked the 870 the best.

72Cheyenne likes this.
  12. pgg00

pgg00
    Expand Collapse

My 870 rides in the patrol car next to the rifle. Most times the rifle gets taken out. I do take out the 870 at times though for some calls / incidents and it runs just fine.

13. Firecop203

Firecop203
    Expand Collapse

I have two.

A Benelli M1 Super 90 with a Mesa Tactical 8 round carrier and an extended tube

The other is an 870 also with a Mesa Tactical carrier, an extended magazine tube, 21" rifle sighted Vang Comp barrel, a youth synthetic buttstock, limbsaver buttpad and Choate synthetic forearm.

14. rootbrain

rootbrain
    Expand Collapse
    Mayan Priest

Never had a speck of rust on my 870 express. Its seen plenty of weather too, not just an indoor HD gun.

Ghost sights are good for slug shooting. Prefer bead sights for bird shot (regardless of target)

Rootbrain

15. badge315

badge315
    Expand Collapse

I have a new favorite...at least until I shoot it. I just picked up a Remington SP-10. :supergrin:

[​IMG]

16. MaDeuce50

MaDeuce50
    Expand Collapse

have 870's at work. hate the location of the slide release and safety.

thats why i use this at home. [​IMG]

17. Gills63

Gills63
    Expand Collapse

Its funny that you say that Ma because we have mossbergs and I say the same thing about them. I'm an 870 guy...I guess its all about what your used to.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

18. Vigilant

Vigilant
    Expand Collapse

I have thinned the herd a bit. I'm down to one 7-shot 870P, and a 6-shot 590A1. We use 870s when armed, and I have no problem with them. For personal use, I have come to prefer the 590A1. For home defense, I have come to prefer an M1 Carbine. To each their own.

nitesite10mm likes this.
  19. mgentry

mgentry
    Expand Collapse

Remington Police 870 with extension. Had it mag-na-ported, black-Ted then installed the Mesa recoil system on it.

20. K.Kiser

K.Kiser
    Expand Collapse

This is fact, they will all work fantastically if gotten to in due time by competent hands... End of story, and end of fight..

#60 K.Kiser, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013