Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

You Might Be an Edible Insect If...

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by chivvalry, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Okay... I HAD to pass this one on.

"Most insects are edible. Unfortunately, there isn't a dead giveaway to tell if a bug is edible unless you know what you're doing. However, there are some general guidelines you can use to help you decide. One rule of thumb that survival experts endorse is to steer clear of brightly colored insects."

Bon Appetit!
  2. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Sweet. I'll keep that in mind.

3. Glock!9

Oct 5, 2001
    South Eastern PA
    really? a stink bug tastes like apples.....
  4. Will if eat one, let us know how it works out.

When I took the USAF pilot SERE course, they taught us plant, insects and small animals that we could eat. I wasn't too fond of anything outside of a grass hopper. A MRE actually doesn't seem to taste so bad either ;)
  5. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
    I'm curious, but damn it, I couldn't eat a stink bug.

I had very basic survival training in the Army, but from what I heard from Air Force guys, SERE training is hard core. Didn't they have you suck the eyeballs out of animals and eat them. Sure you get vital fluids and nutrition, but that is harsh sucking Bambi or Thumper's eye out of its skull.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  6. Stink bugs love to eat fruit and vegetables...Me eat a Stink Bug??? never happening. Sorry I would die looking for fruits and veggies first.
  7. dmjonez

Feb 23, 2011
    Kennesaw, GA
    You wanted to hang around near the kids that had NAMED their rabbit before they made you kill them. You had a pretty good shot at getting theirs as well!

BTW, the eyes were harder to pop than you'd think...
  8. bustedknee

bustedknee Curmudgeon

Aug 1, 2001
    Wythe County, VA
    "Insects that are extremely pungent are also good to keep off your plate. Some wilderness experts will caution against hairy critters as well as bugs that bite or sting. Disease carriers like flies, ticks and mosquitoes are also on the no list."

How about I simply avoid eating ALL bugs?
  9. sourdough44

Jul 23, 2007
    I'd say if a bird eats it, you can eat it.