close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

You ever just feel like giving up?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by rsagona1, Sep 14, 2011.

1. rsagona1

rsagona1 Hello

Jun 21, 2006
    Somewhere in MD
    3 years in the process and I'm not hired yet. Granted I am at the final stages and waiting to get the "you're hired" letter, but nothing sucks more than driving around, seeing a police car and wondering if you're ever going to drive one.

Seriously the worst process I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

/rant

2. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    I'm right there with you, believe me. I've got a stack at least 20 deep of rejection letters from departments I've applied to, and I've easily put 5,000+ miles on my car just going to different job processes.

I won't say anything as contrived as "keep th faith" or anything, as I'm sure you've heard it all before, easily as may times as I have. Personally, I keep applying at this point out of habit more than anything.

Try to believe that it will work out and be worth it, and feel free to PM if you need to talk, or just want to vent.

3. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

Hang in there buddy! I am in the EXACT same position as yourself, and I can fully relate to how you are feeling...

I started the testing/application process for the current department I am waiting for in January of 2009. All I have left is the psych/medical evaluation. If I get my invitation to that this week or next, I should be completing the process by sometime in early October. I am hopeful to start the next academy class in November of this year. I am keeping my fingers crossed, and I will now keep them crossed for you as well.

I get the same feeling when I see a State Trooper cruiser buzz by me in town as well.

We just need to keep our noses clean, and keep working out and getting into shape. Think of all of this extra time as a blessing to get better prepared physically. At least that is what I am trying to do. LOL

If you ever want to chat, you can feel free to PM me as well. I would happily give you my email address if that would help you out at all. :wavey:

4. ScarMack

ScarMack

Jun 30, 2010
    Sharpsville, PA
    I just filled out my application for the academy...Starts up in January. Turning 22 today, I hope being a "young buck" is a advantage, expecially being in great shape. Running a mile in just under 6 minutes and can bust out 20 pullups with ease.

Nothing worst than seeing another officer drive by and imagining it being you...I do it all the time. Especially the K9 guys. Thats my dream job. I love guns, I love dogs, to mix it all into a job, sign me up :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  5. rsagona1

rsagona1 Hello

Jun 21, 2006
    Somewhere in MD
    I was thinking the same thing. I have gone through oil change after oil change, only to get a letter within 4 days telling me, "sorry we're not interested".
    Same, I don't know anything else. I am a computer programmer but my dream has always been law enforcement. It's a damn good thing I got a degree that lets me work until I get hired.

Good luck to you bro.

6. rsagona1

rsagona1 Hello

Jun 21, 2006
    Somewhere in MD
    Good luck to you too brother.
    The worst is when it's somebody your age. There is this one particular agency where I have wanted to work my entire life. The budget was so bad that I even followed the budget meetings and county council meetings just to see when there would be a class. When word finally came out there would be a class, I received a "no thanks" letter. I waited 2 years for this one particular agency. The worst also is seeing your friends get hired.

7. rsagona1

rsagona1 Hello

Jun 21, 2006
    Somewhere in MD
    First, happy birthday. Second, good times and numbers..keep staying in shape. My best time (for the 1.5 mile) was 12:30. That was actually with a messed up foot with bandages on it. I want this job badly.

8. Panzergrenadier1979

Panzergrenadier1979 Keystone Cop

Jan 16, 2009
    Central Pennsylvania
    I don't know how it is in Maryland but, if you can, putting yourself through the academy on your own could make you much more appealing to a PD during the selection process. Some PDs have their own academy that you must attend (thus making this option non-applicable) but others may like the fact that you are already "paid for", so to say.

It worked for me.

9. Just keep in mind it took the majority of us multiple tries to get in. And that was when the economy wasn't in the toilet. It took me 4 years to get hired.

Good luck bro, don't give up.

10. SAR

SAR CLM

Apr 17, 2004
    LA LA Land
    How bad do you want to do it? If you really want to get hired, make use of your time and make yourself marketable. Police Departments are always hiring. The two best ways to get hired are education and military experience. If you want it bad enough, you will do one or the other and it will make it much easier to get hired.

11. Good advice on this thread.

It took me three years to get hired by my agency. If that didn't work out for me I had taken the civil service test for some local agencies in the county I resided in at the time.

If it's meant to be it will happen. You just can't give up.

12. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    For those looking in the midwest:

Davenport, Iowa PD is testing in a month or so. Starting pay $49k, top end for an officer $69k. Approximately 160 officer department that seems to hire a minimum of 6-10 officers per year. Decent retirement system.

13. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    Remember that right now alot of agencies are not hiring which increases the pool of applicants. It may be a couple years down the road, but eventually there will be more agencies hiring which will open up doors for alot of applicants.

14. I hear you OP. I graduated from the academy last October. I've applied to over 75 jobs and have spent over $500 on testing. I'll I've have to show for it is a stack of rejection letters and two positive contacts with a department. (in backgrounds for one) (fingers very very crossed)
    The really disappointing part is that if I don't get an offer by this October 30th I have to re certify and pay around $2000 for that. Not to mention the student loans...well at least I have a degree :upeyes:.

Don't give up if its what you really want to do. I'll end up in the poor house before I call it quits.:rofl:

15. It's notoriously difficult to break into LE. Larger agencies are easier simply because they hire more people. And once you have a LE job, it's easier (at least psychologically) to look for another one.

Hang in there guys.

16. faceplant

faceplant

Feb 8, 2006
    Not the best of times to get hired. Keep trying. It took me 5yrs of trying. I would take any test available police or fire just to get the experience of written tests and oral boards. I turned 42 and time was running out. I still don't know the magic but that year I was given 5 job offers. 3 fire and 2 police. I took the fire side:tongueout:

17. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    I feel for you brother. The sad fact is there are cops (a few friends of mine personally) that were already cops and have been laid off so regular Joes have to compete with seasoned cops for what ever cop jobs are left during the recession.

People retire or get injured or move on... so they cant stay frozen foreveer...hang in there.

18. Consider starting out in Corrections, putting in a couple years at least, and then applying again. Some good experience inside the fence could prove to be quite valuable in the long run, and may very well appeal to some potential employers.

Some Counties start everyone out in the jail. Some move up to road patrol; some end up being stuck in the jail. And then there are those who end up liking it inside the looking glass.

I would give it some thought.

19. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Military experience is a good in with certain types of federal service. Corrections is also a good way to get some experience whilst you are waiting.

20. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Lifetime Member

Sep 20, 2004
    FEMA REGION III
    I have been in the process with a federal agency, for over a year now. I passed my Poly, Psych, and medical in Febuary, and I'm still waiting to hear back. Their budget, along with the rest of the federal government is pretty messed up right now.

I just recently started the process with a small town agency, with 16 officers about 3 months ago. There is only one slot available, and there are a total of 6 people in the running for it.

I suspect some will be weeded out in the background process, but all in all I suppose its not bad odds.

My transfer request from the corrections division at my agency was denied, so I'm looking elsewhere.

In the meantime, I have a decent job, and I'll actually be taking a significant pay cut if hired by the town. I'm willing to take it, for the shot of doing something I've always dreamed of doing.

Keep your head up, and depending on your personal situation, if relocating is an option, Baltimore City is hiring still, very regularly. They have an expedited out of state process as well.

Good luck!